Do you use Software Updaters?

Do you use update software?

• Total voters

NekoHr

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 5, 2016
I use SUMO to check for updated programs but I like to download and install manually from authors page and Sumo is perfect for this.

I see lots of you complain about SUMO and bundled software, every KC program has 3 versions: regular (with Relevant knowledge included), lite and portable (zip) which don't have anything bundled. Download portable and you are good to go, no additional software, no installation.
BTW. KC has disclaimer on his page explaining different download options.

I tried few other but don't like when they try to install services, run on boot and stuff like that.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

I use SUMO to check for updated programs but I like to download and install manually from authors page and Sumo is perfect for this.
Same thing here, i want to be able to check programs for updates without opening every single program, and at the same time i want to update manually so i can inform myself about what is that update what is fixed what new features there are etc.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016

I see lots of you complain about SUMO and bundled software, every KC program has 3 versions: regular (with Relevant knowledge included), lite and portable (zip) which don't have anything bundled. Download portable and you are good to go, no additional software, no installation.
BTW. KC has disclaimer on his page explaining different download options.

I tried few other but don't like when they try to install services, run on boot and stuff like that.

All respect to KC for being honest and up-front about download options , as I mentioned earlier .
It is a valid and respectable business model and probably only those that are " click-happy " will get the additional stuff.

I feel the same as you about apps that want to run as services ..... no thank you .
If it is something that I really want then I'll change the service from " Auto " to "manual " , or even "disabled ".
Autoruns from sysinternals easily takes care of all the " run on boot " stuff for me :)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

You can make it autostart a single process at bootup and check your software for updates automatically, then open it when the scan is ready and see if there are updates, and close it. That's it, process gone. If you use Advanced System Care you can make it start delayed so it doesn't affect your bootup speed.

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.