Advice Request Don't trust Kaspersky license

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I'm using Google translate to this because I'm mad:

I recently purchased a KTS license in the promotion that came with KTS + unlimited VPN to use later, since my license for KTS only has a few days left. I did not activate it or put it in My Kaspersky, it is stored in my password manager.

I asked support if I could only activate the VPN and later activate KTS, if they would be two separate keys, I get the following message, in summary: "Hi, sir, if you bought the promotion through the Kaspersky website, the license is already counting the days even if you haven't added it yet".

And some time ago I sent E-mail to support ASKING if I could do this without the days of the license starting to count, they replied: Yes, you have up to 1 year to activate it.

So, you can imagine how angry I am now. And it is not the first time that I have problems with Kaspersky licenses, I have already left a KTS key stored unused in My Kaspersky and it started ALONE counting the days without activating or putting in any product.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Write to their support and send a copy of the previous answers you received. I have a KSC Family license stored for over 30 days that I have no intention of activating before February next year and it has not auto activated or lost a single day.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I can fully understand people getting annoyed or even upset like @fabiobr no matter the company/vendor one deal with and the communication sadly doesn't work. Happened to almost all of us. The only thing I can think of right now that might help in this specific case, is the so called " Money Back Guarantee " or what most know as a refund and with Kaspersky that's 14 days if I'm correct.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Just to clarify my KSC license was bought at their official site and has not started. It may be a change for KSC as it uses a different licensing scheme or I just got lucky. Do not risk your money on it.
It only start to count when you already used the product someday.

If you never used KSC Family (another license), then it's fine.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I really love Kaspersky's software, but support is being very disappointing. They haven't answered me yet.

The woman told me that she would move to the responsible sector because I already have the license counting and I DID NOT RECEIVE a code for the unlimited VPN that I would be entitled to. I think I will try their chat.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Update:
They were really having problems that the promotion was not sending the VPN key (and I just found that out now because I contact them to see if I can use only the VPN without activating the KTS).

The agent told me to ask for a refund and BUY IT AGAIN (hahahaha), but I explained that it was more than 30 days for the purchase because I was storing the license since I was waiting to activate it only later, I didn't know that it was already counting.

Then he told me to wait for a response from Kaspersky's "Advanced Support Team". I'll wait, but the mistake of not sending the VPN key together is THEM, even though I didn't know that the license was already counting (which only gets worse since they should have sent me the VPN as soon as I finished the purchase, if it was already enabled and counting days).

I seem to be facing the same thing that @blackice went through with the support of Bitdefender, but with Kaspersky.

I am really disappointed. If I pay for an expensive product like Kaspersky, I expect at least support of the same level. They would never send me the VPN key if I not contact them, and that was not my mistake, it's their problem.

If I receive the VPN key, I'll tell here.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Update:
They were really having problems that the promotion was not sending the VPN key (and I just found that out now because I contact them to see if I can use only the VPN without activating the KTS).

The agent told me to ask for a refund and BUY IT AGAIN (hahahaha), but I explained that it was more than 30 days for the purchase because I was storing the license since I was waiting to activate it only later, I didn't know that it was already counting.

Then he told me to wait for a response from Kaspersky's "Advanced Support Team". I'll wait, but the mistake of not sending the VPN key together is THEM, even though I didn't know that the license was already counting (which only gets worse since they should have sent me the VPN as soon as I finished the purchase, if it was already enabled and counting days).

I seem to be facing the same thing that @blackice went through with the support of Bitdefender, but with Kaspersky.

I am really disappointed. If I pay for an expensive product like Kaspersky, I expect at least support of the same level. They would never send me the VPN key if I not contact them, and that was not my mistake, it's their problem.

If I receive the VPN key, I'll tell here.
I’ve never worried about support before, but boy did they seem inept. You’re right, very similar to my experience. Just clueless.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Another issue I found: Kaspersky is not uploading to Dropbox the backups, I tried to restore some backup to test and it says I have nothing on dropbox (but software is saying It has backed up, but it's showing 0KB uploaded)

How first back up (that shows I have 8GB of files) can upload zero files and 0KB? And that's happening on ALL my PCs with KTS.

backup-kasperskyu_LI.jpg

Support send me an email to download and run GSI (GetSystemInfo.exe), I'm running:
System-Info-Kaspersky.png

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I hate the way Kaspersky deals with activation especially when you activate the license multiple times only to receive you exceeded the number of allowed activation. They have a portal and they should allow you to deactivate your license from devices you no longer have Kaspersky installed on. Somebody will pop out and tell me you can contact support. Yes I know I can contact support but why does it have to be so complicated?

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
But you can deactivate devices you no longer use in My Kaspersky. Just go to the devices tab, select the device, and select disconnect.

The problem is that quick multiple activations will block the key because it may be compromised and being used for piracy. Most software with online key activation will behave this way, even Windows will block the key and force you to contact Microsoft if you activate it too many times in a month,

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
But you can deactivate devices you no longer use in My Kaspersky. Just go to the devices tab, select the device, and select disconnect.

The problem is that quick multiple activations will block the key because it may be compromised and being used for piracy. Most software with online key activation will behave this way, even Windows will block the key and force you to contact Microsoft if you activate it too many times in a month,
You can disconnect devices but that does not mean that you freed room from the activated key. Bullguard, GData, F-Secure, Malwarebytes, Eset, Bitdefender and Trend Micro allow you to release license.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.