Download Ninja (Official Updates Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
@MikeD: I see you haven't applied my translation work for build 24. I just took care of it for build 25 and sent you the file. Since build 24, you must have received three mails, but got no answer for the first two, I hope you'll consider my kind of request. Anyway, thank you for your work!

Reactions: MikeD

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
@MikeD: I see you haven't applied my translation work for build 24. I just took care of it for build 25 and sent you the file. Since build 24, you must have received three mails, but got no answer for the first two, I hope you'll consider my kind of request. Anyway, thank you for your work!

Sorry about that. I just replied to your email.

The updated French translation will be pushed out tomorrow.

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Maybe you should think about an independant auto-update system for translation files?

Hmm, interesting idea, I like it.. I have to admit that it is becoming a bit tricky to keep track of which languages have been updated and when.

I'll have a think about it once I get most of the big things out the way (last 2 big things are alternative list format and multi-add dialog).

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
I have some issues with Download Ninja with IE (since I use IE only :p)

1. There is no download with downloadninja option in context menu of IE. It will be really helpful if you added that in context menu.
2. Download Ninja need to be kept open otherwise it won't grab downloads. There should be a way to capture downloads even when program is not open like IDM
3. Sometimes downloads takes a lot of time to get resume while sometimes it fails to do so
4. It doesn't grab download from sites like zbigz.com

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
build 26 (August 31 2014)

http://cdn.downloadninja.com/download.ninja_build26.exe

Enhancements
  • Added some additional colours to theme editor
  • Updated Arabic language
  • Updated French language
  • Updated Hungarian language
  • Updated Vietnamese language
Fixes
  • Fixed occasional crash in Restart Download
  • Fixed missing colour on summary chart
A Crash!:

I've had two reports today of a crash, apparently when right clicking on something but so far I am unable to reproduce it. The error says something like:

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Windows.Media.Color' to type 'System.Windows.Media.Brush'.

It is something to do with the new theme system but I don't know what or where, my requests for more information have not yet had replies so if anyone sees this error please let me know how to reproduce it!

Updated Theme Instructions:

I've added some additional information to the theme editor instructions page today including colour guides so that you can easily see what
needs updating in the theme editor to get your desired effect:

http://downloadninja.com/theme-editor/

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
1. There is no download with downloadninja option in context menu of IE. It will be really helpful if you added that in context menu.
2. Download Ninja need to be kept open otherwise it won't grab downloads. There should be a way to capture downloads even when program is not open like IDM
3. Sometimes downloads takes a lot of time to get resume while sometimes it fails to do so

1) Correct, I'll see if I can add one but the IE add-on framework is a bit of a nightmare ;)

2) This is on the list of things to look at but it is not as simple as it sounds. It would involve the browser starting a process with normal user permissions.. obviously browsers do not want to allow their plugins to do that as it could be a huge security problem (imagine a plugin downloads some malware as an exe and is able to execute it on your computer!!)

IDM does all sorts of funky stuff at the network level to intercept downloads so it doesn't need the addon to start anything but Download Ninja relies on the add-on to tell it that a download has started.

I have a couple of possible solutions to this but have not had chance to look at them in any depth yet.

3) Not sure what you mean by this? Can you please send more information to info@downloadninja.com and we can look at it in more detail there?

4) I'll add this to the list of sites that need looking at.

Reactions: samit

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
2) This is on the list of things to look at but it is not as simple as it sounds. It would involve the browser starting a process with normal user permissions.. obviously browsers do not want to allow their plugins to do that as it could be a huge security problem (imagine a plugin downloads some malware as an exe and is able to execute it on your computer!!)

You can run exe files in Firefox.

Reactions: Kent

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
You can run exe files in Firefox.

Yes you are correct, currently Firefox can but both Chrome and IE are very limited in this area (the old style chrome addons can do it but they are being phased out and IE addons run in 'protected' mode which have very limited permissions.

I'd rather have a solution that can work across all browsers if possible.

Reactions: Malware1

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
3. there is a issue like if I paused download and resume it after 2-3 hours it takes long time to resume downloads....it also happens if you paused the download and then shutdown or restart computer and try to resume downloads, it takes long time to resume....but this doesn't happen usually so I can't say it happens in specific sites...

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014

Just tried this in IE and seems to work as expected?

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Just tried this in IE and seems to work as expected?

just tested with build 26, now it is capturing download from zbigz.com but build 24 doesn't....I was using build 24 earlier... also I liked the way monitor all the browsers are ticked in default unlike in build 24 ( I had this bug which i forgot to mention that install IE add on gets untick out of nowhere sometimes, this build has fixed for me :) )

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
just tested with build 26, now it is capturing download from zbigz.com but build 24 doesn't....I was using build 24 earlier... also I liked the way monitor all the browsers are ticked in default unlike in build 24 ( I had this bug which i forgot to mention that install IE add on gets untick out of nowhere sometimes, this build has fixed for me :) )

Great news!

build 26.1 (September 1 2014)
  • Updated YouTube parser
  • Windows XP Theme issues
http://cdn.downloadninja.com/download.ninja_build26.1.exe

Quick update to 26.1 which fixes the right click crash on XP machines as well as updating the YouTube parser :)

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Hi All,

I've released a new BETA today that includes two changes to the core download system (which is why I released as a beta instead of pushing it right out).

FTP Support:
Download Ninja now supports FTP (not FTPS or SFTP)

Download Speed Increased:
While adding FTP support I noticed an issue with the downloading code that was limiting a single download thread to around 400kb/s even if the network was capable of getting more. I didn't notice it before because when you take say 8x400kb/s you get a pretty quick download but for downloads with maybe only 2 or two max connections allowed on the server it would have effected things.

I've changed this now so with my local network tests I was able to download at over 40 megabytes per second on a single thread.

Because these two changes effect the core operation of DN and *potentially* the file integrity I wanted to release this as a BETA first to make sure I didn't miss anything although I have done quite extensive testing myself but please let me know if you have any issues.

Duplicate Downloads
I also added an action for when a download URL already exists, so if you try to add the same URL more than once DN will ask you want you want to do (add new, restart existing, open existing, cancel).

http://cdn.downloadninja.com/download-ninja_beta140903.exe

beta 140903 (September 03 2014)

Enhancements
  • Added FTP support
  • Increased download speed
  • Duplicate download action (restart, open, etc)
  • TAB/Enter on language editor move to next
  • Unified error reporting
  • Improved welcome page
Fixes
  • Corrected occasional error in incremental file name generation (add download)

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
build 27 (September 4 2014)

http://cdn.downloadninja.com/download.ninja_build27.exe

Enhancements
  • Added 64 bit version
  • Added FTP support
  • Increased download speed
  • Duplicate download action (restart, open, etc)
  • TAB/Enter on language editor move to next
  • Unified error reporting
  • Improved welcome page
  • Improved Theme change speed
  • Added additional flag to addons UserInitiated (Firefox pending review)
  • Update Spanish translation
  • Update French translation
  • Added Download Ninja version to error details
  • Added select all when right clicking on text boxes
  • Added minimize to main window
  • Added ‘Download as Paused’ option to add download
  • Added ‘Use server’s last modified time for file’ option
  • Add ‘All’ options to media loader (All, vIdeo, audio)
Fixes
  • Corrected occasional error in incremental file name generation (add download)
  • Fixed checking of media sites when download started
  • Fixed ‘Download With Download Ninja’ not working if downloads disabled.
  • Corrected parsing issue in website exclusions

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
I am sorry if i didn't review all the posts in this thread and maybe it is already wished my wish...can we have a Backup settings-Restore Settings?
Thank you,awesome program!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.