Download Ninja (Official Updates Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
New beta released 140808:

Fixes
  • Refresh link not working properly (opening new window instead of replacing link)
  • Win+D to show desktop leaves a blank space when try to see DN window again
  • No scroll bar on login manager
Enhancements
  • Added virus scanner support
  • Added language selector to welcome screen

NOTE: this release REMOVES media downloads.

The reason for this is fairly complicated but comes down to two issues:

1) Technically bending download ninja to download videos and convert them is forcing me to make changes to DN that I'd really not make.. especially 1080p downloads which involves downloading and merging two video files

2) The legality of downloading videos from YouTube and other sites is still very much a grey area, there are many long winded discussions on the Internet about if it is legal or not to download and save that content. I personally think that as a user downloading videos there is little to worry about, but as somebody producing tools to aid in this I think I am putting myself at risk by including this functionality.

I created DN to be a free tool for people to enjoy but I don't want to have to be worrying about a knock at the door by local law enforcement or legal threats each time I got to bed :)

There are already MANY free tools around that are dedicated to media downloading and do a better job than DN, one of the most popular being 4k Downloader so I think leaving media downloads out for the moment.

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
New beta released 140808:

NOTE: this release REMOVES media downloads.

The reason for this is fairly complicated but comes down to two issues:

1) Technically bending download ninja to download videos and convert them is forcing me to make changes to DN that I'd really not make.. especially 1080p downloads which involves downloading and merging two video files

2) The legality of downloading videos from YouTube and other sites is still very much a grey area, there are many long winded discussions on the Internet about if it is legal or not to download and save that content. I personally think that as a user downloading videos there is little to worry about, but as somebody producing tools to aid in this I think I am putting myself at risk by including this functionality.

I created DN to be a free tool for people to enjoy but I don't want to have to be worrying about a knock at the door by local law enforcement or legal threats each time I got to bed :)

There are already MANY free tools around that are dedicated to media downloading and do a better job than DN, one of the most popular being 4k Downloader so I think leaving media downloads out for the moment.

I find it a bit sad, because you provided what free downloaders didn't provide me properly: Media downloading, and NOT ONLY on Youtube. Could you at least consider a stand-alone program or a browser addon?

Reactions: Malware1

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
I find it a bit sad, because you provided what free downloaders didn't provide me properly: Media downloading, and NOT ONLY on Youtube. Could you at least consider a stand-alone program or a browser addon?

This is exactly what I am considering as open source project.

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
?

Looks OK here, just installed the version I uploaded.. let me try building the installer again just in case.

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
The add download page was moved to a new window to make it easier for adding downloads from the browser.. the main window can be minimized and you can add a new download without having to open it again.

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
beta 140809 (August 09 2014)

Enhancements
  • Added Vietnamese language
  • Set new download to use flyout if initiated from the toolbar
  • Added percent complete
Fixes
  • Fixed length of download rate in list
http://get.downloadninja.com/beta

Regarding Media Downloads:

I've turned this into an 'experimental' feature meaning that by default it is disabled, to enable just to go to the settings page and select 'Enable Media Parsing'.

I'll consider moving it to a default feature at a later date but those who want to keep using it can do.

Release Candidate:

Unless any problems show up over the next day or so I'll be releasing this as build 20

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
STABLE RELEASE - build 21 (August 10 2014)

Enhancements

• Updated YouTube parser
  • French translation
  • Russian translation
  • Polish translation
  • Option to disable update check
  • Option to auto-update beta versions
  • Changed default text of minimized option
  • Enable drag in toolbar area
  • Allow multi select on list
  • Support delete key to quick remove a download
  • Added support for Access-Control-Allow-Headers
  • If delete download before complete partial data also removed
  • Added dedicate add media window for YouTube downloads
  • Added default download categories for new installs
  • Separated Add Download window from main window to aid quicker adding
  • Added virus scanner support
  • Added language selector to welcome screen
  • Added default action for new browser downloads (quick add or straight to verify)
  • Added Portuguese (Brazilian) language
  • Added Vietnamese language
  • Set new download to use flyout if initiated from the toolbar
  • General improvements
Fixes
  • Fixed saving error in translation editor
  • Added check for servers that report CanResume but actually return all data
  • Fixed slow context menu for downloading entries
  • Fixed length of download rate in list
  • Corrected translation for cancel button on progress dialog
  • In Settings, the Monitor tab keeps the same name, even though it is modified through the Language Editor
  • When hovering DN’s tray icon with no active download, “Key: Summary_NoDownloads” can be read instead of “There aren’t any active download”
  • Fixed ‘Auto-Remove’ not perm deleting issue
  • Limited multi-processing of YouTube videos
  • Crash on start-up if no internet connection
  • Improved content disposition detection
  • Downloads from Google Docs fixed
  • Login details not saved with new downloads
  • Fixed error forcing HTTP/HTTPS when adding new login details from add download page
  • Text box context menu wrong color
  • Added check for too much server data overwriting valid chunk data (chunk reset)
  • Fixed cross sub-domain cookie issue
  • Refresh link not working properly (opening new window instead of replacing link)
  • Win+D to show desktop leaves a blank space when try to see DN window again
  • Corrected some language specific layout issues
  • No scroll bar on login manager
  • General bug fixes

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
I submitted them false positive.

Thanks, I have a false positive case open with them but they have requested a screenshot of the error and I cannot reproduce it here.

Any chance you can send me a screenshot of it and I'll add it to the ticket? Maybe they will work faster with two reports!

M

MalwareT

Here is screenshot from Quarantine:

Izrezak.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.