Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Installed on Virtual Box.The start menu will be better for some,it has some nice features.I think some will like it and find it easier to navigate than Windows 8.I was just getting used to Windows 8 but to be honest it was nice to shutdown Virtual Box and get back on Windows 7 SP1. @RƎDSPYGENTLEMEN its alright im outdated too :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I'm giving this ago in my VM. Thanks for the download links. As a little "tip" for those who install this in a Vmware, you should select "Windows 8" as "Guest Operating System".
435.jpg

Windows 10 x64-2014-10-02-08-44-44.png
Windows 10 x64-2014-10-02-08-50-20.png

The installation was fast and easy (it took like 10 minutes on SSD). I like that booted directly to "desktop mode" without going through that Metro "crappy" interface.
I'll be back with some more details. Hopefully Windows 10 will be free for those who own Windows 8.1, as I'm not paying again for OS. : P

Last edited:

sid_16

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
How to Make the Windows 10 Start Menu Look More Like Windows 7
ximg_542c5daec82dc.jpg.pagespeed.ic.a9Wc_ZxLz1.jpg

The Windows 10 Start Menu is really quite busy with all of those live tiles all over it. If that isn’t your thing, luckily you can remove them all really easily.

Simply right-click on the tiles and choose Unpin from Start.

ximg_542c5df6443a2.png.pagespeed.ic.l2LEhD9pIu.png

Once they are all gone, the Start Menu will be nice and slim again.

650x366xWindows_10__Running_-650x366.png.pagespeed.ic.xnxybwMFww.png

You can also change the color of the Start Menu by right-clicking on any open space on the menu and choosing Personalize from the context menu.

650x366xWindows_10__Running_1-650x366.png.pagespeed.ic.SeavMXmAw5.jpg

This will bring up a color selector that allows you to make the change easily.

650x366xWindows_10__Running_2-650x366.png.pagespeed.ic.moOigr8lIN.png

Pinning Tiles Back to the Start Menu
If you want to put the tiles back, you can simply go to the All Apps view, right-click on the app that has a live tile, and choose to pin to the Start Menu again.

650x430xWindows_10__Running_3.png.pagespeed.ic.Yj_hLZ3rQq.png

Now if they would just remove that stupid Search button from the taskbar.

http://www.howtogeek.com/197586/how...-look-more-like-windows-7/?PageSpeed=noscript

sid_16

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
How to Install Windows 10 Technical Preview on VMware
How to Install Windows 10 Technical Preview on VMware

With the help of desktop virtualization software VMware and VirtualBox, we can try the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview OS easily. Microsoft has released Technical Preview version of Windows 10 recently with revamping the features, more add-ons and development kits. This guide shows how to install Windows 10 Technical Preview on VMware workstation (applied to VMware Player too).

Windows 10 Technical Preview is having plenty of new features and well improved performance. The appearance and working technology look different. I’m sure this will be the correct time to test drive new Operating System from Microsoft without complicating your existing OS, I meant; no need to modify the boot loader to have dual boot. Having a Windows 10 Technical Preview virtual machine makes the experiment easy by working with your host and guest computers at same time.

1) Download the correct ISO of Windows 10 Technical Preview 64 bit from here or 32bit from here.

2) Create a new virtual machine. Select ‘Typical’ and ‘I will Install the OS Later’ option on next screen.

5) Mount the downloaded Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO to CD/DVD drive of virtual machine.

3) On next screen, select Windows 8 ( or Windows 8 64 bit if you are going to install Windows 10 Technical Preview 64 bit)

4) Set the Virtual machine name and location.

5)Hard disk size can be anything more than 20GB.the click next and finish.

Now Click here to see how to install Windows 10 Technical Preview with simple steps

Source - http://www.windowsbleu.com/2014/10/how-to-install-windows-10-technical.html

Windows 10 Technical Preview is a newer version of Windows that contains a number of new and updated features, including an interface that can be used with touchscreen devices as windows 8. After you Download Windows 10 Technical Preview 64 bit from here or 32 bit from here, you'll have the ability to install the program to your computer or on VMware. Follow the steps outlined in this article to install, and set up Windows 10 Technical Preview.

When you book from a DVD or USB Key Click on "Install now" after the Windows 10 Technical Preview Setup Wizard appears on your screen then choose your language.

Review the Windows 10 Technical Preview license terms, then place a checkmark next to "I Accept the license terms." then Click on the "Next" button.

Select "Custom" Installation. and choose your hard disk, custom option will only install Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Click "Install." Your computer will restart several times while it installs Windows 10 Technical Preview, and will display the Setup Wizard after Windows 10 Technical Preview has been successfully installed.

Click on "Use express setting" or you can "Customize" it.

Choose your current network settings, then click "Next.".

Sign in to your PC using a Microsoft account or local account. The Microsoft account option requires you to create or sign in with a Microsoft username and password. The local account option requires you to create a username and password to be used specifically for your personal account on the computer and to do that just click on" Create an account"

If you don't have Microsoft account create one from here or just "Sign in without Microsoft account" for local account;

Enter your Local account user and password

Wait for the Windows 10 Technical Preview user interface to load. Your screen will now display a new series of Windows 10 Technical Preview icons, and your desktop will now display.

Congatulation now you are Windows 10 Technical Preview user. [Spoiler/]

Last edited:
Reactions: Av Gurus

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
hello

after trying Win 10 it's not much different than Win 8.1

but unless Microsoft fixes this 350mb recovery partition being added every-time some people with
OEM computers restore back from there factory original partition to restore there computer if
thay have trouble back to Windows 8

http://malwaretips.com/threads/too-many-recovery-partitions.32625/

now about the only way i could see this happen is if people like VirusAttak and me that have had
this partition added when we restored is to give us a Windows 10 Key so we could start new

VirusAttak had 13 of this recovery partitions and was lucky he had a Windows 8 DVD and Key so he
could start new again

i know there has to be more people out there with this problem

what happens when we add Windows 10 on top of this problem ?

:)

James

Reactions: VirusAttak

musings4

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 17, 2014
I've installed it as my main OS after performing a backup on a separate partition and also an disk image of my previous OS [Win 8.1 Update 1 x64]. First impressions so far is that I love the new fade-in animations when opening a window and the Start menu looks good and it feels more 'Modern' so to speak. :D

Reactions: Welldone

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Download the official Windows 10 user guide
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/download/presskits/windows/docs/windowstechnicalpreviewqg.pdf

How to disable Automatic Updates in windows 10 Tech Preview

Almost all of us know that Windows 10 Tech Preview is a free update for Windows users and it can be downloaded and installed through Windows Updates. If you are using Windows 10 Tech Preview , it automatically notifies you about the availability of Windows free update.

But there is a slight problem! Some users may not want to update their Windows 10 computer to any new build and they don't want to receive any update for some reasons. In such situations. There is no option given to permanently disable this Updates since Microsoft has disable the option and force windows 10 Technical preview to get all new updates and you regularly get them.

I have received many emails from readers asking a way to turn these Updates off in windows 10 Technical preview. So today in this tutorial, I am going to tell you how to disable "How to disable Automatic Updates in windows 10 Tech Preview Using Registry Editor (regedit).

1. Press "WIN+R" keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update

3- Right-click "AUOptions" from the right pane and then select "Modify" from the context menu.
Change the value to "0" and then click "OK".

4. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows to take effect. It'll completely turn off Auto Updates in windows 10 Technical Preview.

If you want to restore the Updates in future, just follow same steps and set "AUOptions" value to "4".
Source

Last edited:

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
How to Disable Windows Shadow Effect in windows 10

Reactions: Av Gurus

SamChan

Level 2
Jun 20, 2011
I've installed Windows 10 as my main OS alongside Windows 7, I feel Windows 10 is perfect and will definitely upgrade to Windows 10 next year. I really like the new start menu and the task view on Windows 10. :)

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Can anybody confirm is it gone be free update for Win 8/8.1 users?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
i hardly suppose it will be able to get anything outside the Virtual Machine
Doesn't matter if I use a VM or Spare PC, I still disagree with the Data Collection rules, there's no work around except for waiting the final release.

Reactions: McLovin

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
downloaded and installed first day on my main machine after making a backup.
runs smooth with no issues other than mouse lags during games.
i like the new features though i hope they make it so the virtual desktops settings gets saved and restored on restarts.
right now ehen u create a new desktop after the restart its gone and its back to just 1.

Reactions: Ink

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Okay I find this annoying. I have the screen resolution at 1280x720 and you can't open apps that way (using a VM). So I don't know if it is because of the VM, but it would really suck if it stays like this.

N1NEr3J.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.