611FE8F94906EFE75F64D197913344AC040DF644

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
addon :)

How to Install Windows 10 Technical Preview?

Once you download the ISO file, you can burn it to a DVD using disc burning software or create abootable USB drive to install Windows 10 Technical Preview. You'll need to use following product key at the time of installation:

NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

Since its not a final version and is available for testing purposes, we suggest you to install it separately from your existing Windows operating system. You can install it on a different hard disk partition to make a dual-boot system or you can install it virtually using a virtualization software as described here.

Windows 10 Technical Preview System Requirements:

The system requirements for Windows 10 is same as Windows 8/8.1 system requirements. So if your computer can run Windows 8/8.1, it'll be able to run Windows 10 as well.

Windows 8 / 8.1 and Windows 10 System Requirements

Upgrading to Windows 10 Technical Preview from Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1:

Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users can upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview but Windows Vistausers are out of luck. If you are using Windows Vista and want to try Windows 10 Technical Preview, you'll need to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 in your system.

Windows 10 Technical Preview Expiry Date and Uninstallation:

Windows 10 Technical Preview will expire on April 15, 2015. If you decide to remove/uninstall Windows 10 Technical Preview in future, you'll need to reinstall previous Windows version using setup disc or recovery media.

Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise:

If you want to try Windows 10 Technical Preview for enterprise, check out following:

Download Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise

Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise doesn't require any product key but for recovery cases, you can use following product key:

PBHCJ-Q2NYD-2PX34-T2TD6-233PK

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
It's on my VM :D

Windows Defender 4.6

def.png

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
How to install Windows 10 Technical Preview on Oracle VirtualBox
Microsoft has just released the Technical Preview of Windows 10. It’s a very early build, so you wouldn’t be advised to run it as your main operating system, and while you could set it to dual boot, running it in a virtualized environment is probably a better idea.

The process is very simple -- all you need is a copy of Oracle VM VirtualBox and the Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO.

To set up Windows 10 in VirtualBox, launch the software and click New in the Manager window. In the Create Virtual Machine dialog box enter "Windows 10" as the name of the operating system. Select the Windows 8.1 as the version. (Choose Windows 8.1 (64bit) if you have a 64-bit ISO) Hit Next.

Set the Memory Size. The recommended figure should be fine. On the following screen choose to "Create a virtual hard drive now" and click Create. Accept VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) as the hard drive file type. You’ll be asked if you want the new virtual hard drive to be dynamically altered (it will resize as required) or a fixed size. The latter option is faster, so select that.

Click Create and VirtualBox will begin building the drive.

When done, click the Start button in the Manager. In the "Select start-up disk" window, click the folder icon and navigate to the Windows 10 ISO.

select-disk.jpg

Click Start and Windows 10 should begin to load. Select your language settings, then click the "Install now" button. Accept the license terms. Choose the "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)" option.

custom-install.jpg

Click Next, and the installation process will begin, rebooting as necessary.

When it’s done, you’ll be given the option of using express settings, or customizing things. It’s easiest to select the first one. Sign in with your Microsoft account (entering a code as required), and then finalize everything else.

It will start at the desktop, and one of the first things you’ll see is a Welcome to Tech Preview icon. Click this and an Internet Explorer window will open with tips and tricks, access to the technical preview forums and more.

If you want to resize the OS window, click View in VirtualBox and select Fullscreen or Scaled Mode.

The simplest way to shut down Windows 10 when you no longer need it is to click the X in top right corner of VirtualBox and select "Power off the machine".

Troubleshooting

If VirtualBox encounters errors and fails to install Windows 10, the first thing to do is make sure you’re running the very latest version of the virtualization software. I wasn’t and that was the source of my problem.

If that doesn’t fix the issue, go to System Properties on the host (not the virtual) PC, click the Advanced tab and click Settings under Performance. Select the Data Execution Prevention tab and change the setting from "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select".

OK that, restart your system and this time Windows 10 should install just fine in VirtualBox.
http://betanews.com/2014/10/01/how-to-install-windows-10-technical-preview-on-oracle-virtualbox/

sid_16

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
Windows Server Technical Preview (x64) - DVD (English)
ISOEnglishRelease Date: 10/1/2014Details
FileDownloadDirect Download
Available to these Subscription Levels:
VS Premium with MSDN (VL)
VS Pro with MSDN (Retail)
VS Pro with MSDN (VL)
VS Test Pro with MSDN (Retail)
VS Test Pro with MSDN (VL)
VS Ultimate with MSDN (BizSpark Administrator)
VS Ultimate with MSDN (BizSpark Member)
VS Ultimate with MSDN (MPN)
VS Ultimate with MSDN (NFR FTE)
VS Ultimate with MSDN (Retail)
VS Ultimate with MSDN (VL)
WebsiteSpark
WebsiteSpark Admin
Designer AA
DreamSpark Premium
DreamSpark Standard
Expression Professional (Retail)
Expression Professional (VL)
MCT Developer Software & Services
MCT Software & Services
MSDN Essentials
MSDN OS (Retail)
MSDN OS (VL)
MSDN Platforms
Visual Studio Professional (MPN)
VS Premium with MSDN (MPN)
VS Premium with MSDN (Retail)

Microsoft Hyper-V Server Technical Preview (x64) - DVD (English)
ISOEnglishRelease Date: 10/1/2014Details
VS Pro with MSDN (VL)
WebsiteSpark
WebsiteSpark Admin
DreamSpark Premium
MCT Software & Services
MSDN Essentials
MSDN OS (Retail)
MSDN OS (VL)
MSDN Platforms

Windows Server Datacenter Technical Preview (x64) - VHD (English)
VHDEnglishRelease Date: 10/1/2014Details
VS Pro with MSDN (VL)
WebsiteSpark
WebsiteSpark Admin
Designer AA
DreamSpark Premium
DreamSpark Standard
MCT Software & Services
MSDN Essentials
MSDN OS (Retail)
MSDN OS (VL)
MSDN Platforms

Last edited by a moderator:

sid_16

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
Try it out: Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise
Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise gives you an early look at the next version of Windows—plus you’ll get to send your feedback straight to the people building the software.

dn631927.important%28en-us,MSDN.10%29.png
Important: Just remember, we’re not done yet! You might run into bugs and compatibility issues so be sure to run Technical Preview on a test PC and back up everything before you get started.
Before you start
After you install Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise, you'll automatically receive updated preview builds as we move through the development process. Sign up for the Windows Insider Program immediately after you download the preview to get the most up-to-date information about future preview build features, and to provide feedback directly to the teams building the next version of Windows.

PC requirements
Before you download Technical Preview, make sure your PC has at least:

• Processor: 1 GHz or faster
  • RAM: 1 GB (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
  • Disk space: 16 GB free space
  • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device, with WDDM driver
  • Screen resolution: 1024 x 768
  • A Microsoft account and Internet access
For more details about system requirements and supported languages, see Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise system requirements.

Supported operating systems
You can upgrade to the Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise on PCs running Enterprise versions of Windows 7 (including Windows 7 SP1), Windows 8, or Windows 8.1.

Download and upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise
You’ll find installation files and information in the TechNet Evaluation Center. Instead of a “wipe and load” installation, try an in-place upgrade to keep your Windows settings, personal files, and most apps.

dn631927.important%28en-us,MSDN.10%29.png
Important: If you’re running Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Enterprise and your system language isn't English, Chinese Simplified, or Brazilian Portuguese, you can only keep your personal files when you upgrade. You won't be able to keep your apps or Windows settings.
dn631927.note%28en-us,MSDN.10%29.png
Note: If you want to try Windows 10 Technical Preview for personal use, visit Windows.com.
To do an in-place upgrade from Enterprise versions of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
  1. Download the Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise ISO file for your operating system from the TechNet Evaluation Center and transfer the file to installation media, like a USB flash drive or DVD.
  2. Log on as an administrator to the PC you want to upgrade, right-click the ISO file, and then click Mount.
  3. Double-click setup from the mounted ISO file and follow all of the prompts, including choosing what you want to keep and running the upgrade.
  4. Sign up for the Windows Insider Program to stay informed about future preview builds and features.
To do an in-place upgrade from Enterprise versions of Windows 7 or Windows 7 SP1
  1. Download the Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise ISO file for your operating system from the TechNet Evaluation Center.
  2. Right-click the ISO file, and then click Burn disc image to copy the files to a DVD.
  3. Log on as an administrator to the PC you want to upgrade, insert the DVD, double-click setup, and follow all of the prompts, including choosing what you want to keep, and running the upgrade.
  4. Sign up for the Windows Insider Program to stay informed about future preview builds and features.
Test your applications
Most existing business apps should work with Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise, but you might run into issues with custom or older apps. To get the jump on potential problems, start running your apps on your Technical Preview test computers—and keep running them to see how the updates affect compatibility.

We also recommend that you:

• Catalog your current applications so you have a complete list, including version numbers or names.
  • Reduce the number of versions you support for a single app.
  • Prioritize the apps you want to test.
  • Test each app by performing typical day-to-day tasks.
If you find that an app isn’t compatible with Technical Preview, try upgrading the app to a newer version, fixing the app, or retiring the app and finding a new one.

For more information about how to test and mitigate application compatibility issues, see:

Download the preview
Download Technical Preview for Enterprise and receive a steady stream of preview builds as we move through the development process.

Stay informed about the features available in the latest builds and provide us with your feedback. Join the Windows Insider Program.

Additional resources

Source- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn783436

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I moved this thread to operating system forum so it doesn't get pruned along with news stories.I think this thread should be stuck also.

@Petrovic I know you made a guide on installing it on VMWare could you post that in a reply here too.It is an excellent guide for members wanting to use it on VMWare as is the reply here on Virtual Box

Last edited:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Maybe change the name to: Windows 10 - Technical Preview

Reactions: Exterminator

Mere

Level 2
Verified
Sep 30, 2014
Should I wait on windows 10 final when its come out? If I download the window 10 will it effectly differently when they finish it with the windows 10 final.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Should I wait on windows 10 final when its come out? If I download the window 10 will it effectly differently when they finish it with the windows 10 final.

Of course you should wait final :)
This is only for testing

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This is only a technical preview.It should really be installed on in a Virtual machine or on a separate HDD or partition as a dual boot and is by no means the final product. Unless you are comfortable and know how to do this you should wait for the final release.The final release is sometime next year

Reactions: Av Gurus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I moved this thread to operating system forum so it doesn't get pruned along with news stories.

I was looking forward to archiving this thread. Just kidding. :p

Excellent thread for information about How to Download & Installation Guide to Windows 10.

Thread Pinned. :D

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I installed it and tried it some hours ago. Additions and enhancements are fine, but average win7 users will probably only see a more advanced start menu and a couple of minor-for them things so they 'll stay with Windows 7..
What I personally like the most, is that metro apps can run as windows in the desktop, so windows systems will be more secure & fast with them.

D

Deleted member 21043

Lol, I just installed it as my main OS. Bye bye Windows 8.1. Hello Windows 10 - Technical preview. :D :p

Although, yes, take the advice from the admins. I have already noticed a few bugs but I'm not that bothered. I've already sent them in the feedback to be fixed.

But, for anyone wondering, in the setup if you install on your main machine (main OS), there is a option allowing you to keep all files etc. After rebooting, your desktop, taskbar etc will all be the same like before with the new features. My desktop icons didn't get moved, all my files are there... So yes, if you do decide to do what I did and install it as your main OS, depending on the options you choose, you won't lose any files etc.

Aside from that, I'm starting to like this new start menu. Anyone else like it too? I think It's much better than the old start menu. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.