Solved Dual booting Windows 8.1 x64 Windows 7 x64. Then added SSD Windows 10 tech preview

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
None
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Nothing wrong
Hi guys maybe u can help me. I had Windows 8.1 x64 and windows 7 x64 dual booting with EasyBCD. It was all fine i had it booting up like this
cH2VPwd.png

Then i installed Windows 10 Tech on my SSD drive and all of a sudden it went to this
OTCnDIT.jpg

How do i get it back the other way like the first image

Thank u guys here at MT

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
>>Well First u boot to windows 8
>>Open "Run" and Type "msconfig.exe"

Capture.PNG

>>Under Boot, change the 'default OS' to "Windows 7"
>>And check/tick "No GUI Boot"
>>And check "Make boot device permanent"

Finally Apply and Ok

Hope This helps.

Upvote 0

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
Wait purshupro

I think u miss understood me i want to switch between Windows 8.1 x64 and windows 7 x64 and SSD Windows 10 Tech. But i still want Windows 8.1 x64 as my default. I just want it like the first image

Upvote 0

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Add the XP entry in EasyBCD running on Win7.

Now i see, the screenshot was just an example, right?
Boot into Win7 and do some changes in EasyBCD, change name of one of the entries or anything and reboot, that helped me.

Upvote 0

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
Ya that was just an example. Sorry i should have mentioned that the screenshots where just example. I don't think its a problem with EasyBCD tho as it was already set up fine from Windows 8.1 X64 and Windows 7 x64 when i had it it was fine like the 1 image above. Then when i installed SSD and install windows 10 Tech it changed back to the bottom screen shot. SO maybe i have to change it in Windows 8.1 again or Windows 10 I think its called Legacy right but not sure the steps on to take i forgot them if u know what I'm referring to

Thanks

Upvote 0

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Ya that was just an example. Sorry i should have mentioned that the screenshots where just example. I don't think its a problem with EasyBCD tho as it was already set up fine from Windows 8.1 X64 and Windows 7 x64 when i had it it was fine like the 1 image above. Then when i installed SSD and install windows 10 Tech it changed back to the bottom screen shot. SO maybe i have to change it in Windows 8.1 again or Windows 10 I think its called Legacy right but not sure the steps on to take i forgot them if u know what I'm referring to

Thanks
It's not a problem with EasyBCD, but try what I said. Remember to do it on Win7. It helped me...

Upvote 0

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
It's not a problem with EasyBCD, but try what I said. Remember to do it on Win7. It helped me...

I'm not sure what u getting at As i said its not A EasyBCD thing. SO what did u want me to do. how do i switch it off LAgecy of that windows 8 mode to that default in the first screen shot.

Is the SSD the primary (master) boot disk?

This is what my drives look like. I have 2TB with Windows 8.1 x64 and 1TB with Windows 7 x64. Then i installind the SSD drive for Windows 10 tech and it came up with the Windows 8 boot screen like shown in the screen shot.

uBMYbDy.png

(F:) SSD Drive

Thank u ALL for your great help i really appreciated it. I'm New a little bit on some stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Is this resolved, ImTheBest? It looks like the SSD took over boot rights. That can be corrected in the BIOS. Then go back to the BCD of Win8 (or Win7, wherever you did the original setup) and add a Win10 boot entry pointing to the SSD.

Upvote 0

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
No its not resolved Paul B Thank u so much for helping me. Whats the best way to do this in Bios or with BCD. I can try bios first how do i do this

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Wait purshupro

I think u miss understood me i want to switch between Windows 8.1 x64 and windows 7 x64 and SSD Windows 10 Tech. But i still want Windows 8.1 x64 as my default. I just want it like the first image
So u want the Pre-Boot OS[Menu to choose OS(s)] to be like first image and with that u want Windows 8 as ur default OS?

Reactions: ImtheBest
Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Hi, I'mthebest,

It's a question of both, not one or the other.

If my suspicion is correct, go into the BIOS first and give the original drive boot priority over the SSD. That should give you your win 7/8 boot back again.

Then go into the BCD via easybcd again, in the same OS you originally did. Add a boot menu entry for the SSD.

Upvote 0

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
>>Well First u boot to windows 8
>>Open "Run" and Type "msconfig.exe"

View attachment 41161

Finally Apply and Ok

Hope This helps.

Hi purshupro I wanted to let u now i was looking around for the boot method seeing if i had to change it back to the lagecy format or whatever it is from windows 7 boot mode. I couldn't find that but i did this one treid it like u told me from the beginning i wasn't sure this was the right method but it was. Although i'm not sure how u explained it

All's i did was Set the default WIndows to what i wanted it the deflult was set to Windows 10 Tech so all's i did was set it back to Windows 8.1 x64 and vollia easy. i didn't need to change anything in EasyBCD afterwerds Windows 10 was already there.
NQt9OVZ.png

Back to normal now :D

I want to thank everybody who helped me with my problem i was having thank u so much and MT for all of your support

Reactions: Purshu_Pro
Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hi purshupro I wanted to let u now i was looking around for the boot method seeing if i had to change it back to the lagecy format or whatever it is from windows 7 boot mode. I couldn't find that but i did this one treid it like u told me from the beginning i wasn't sure this was the right method but it was. Although i'm not sure how u explained it

All's i did was Set the default WIndows to what i wanted it the deflult was set to Windows 10 Tech so all's i did was set it back to Windows 8.1 x64 and vollia easy. i didn't need to change anything in EasyBCD afterwerds Windows 10 was already there.
NQt9OVZ.png

Back to normal now :D

I want to thank everybody who helped me with my problem i was having thank u so much and MT for all of your support
You are most welcome.:)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.