• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
System boots but screen black
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstalled graphic driver, scanned with antimalware no malware found.
During boot screen black but system boots i.e if looked closely I can see system boots fine & the desktop.

There are lights on laptop keyboard for WiFi & Sound & those glows fine. And there is a HP logo on the back of the laptop cover/shutter that too glows fine.

When I start the laptop sometimes boots fine but sometimes screen black. If I start the laptop & boots fine then subsequent restarts no probs. If I start the laptop & screen black then sometimes on 2nd try boots fine or sometimes takes many try to boot fine.

Help needed.

Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
What cable do I need?

I have HD TV & HD Setup Box with HDMI Cable. Can I use the same cable i.e 1 end into Laptop HDMI & 1 end into TV HDMI & start TV & Laptop?

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
What cable do I need?

I have HD TV & HD Setup Box with HDMI Cable. Can I use the same cable i.e 1 end into Laptop HDMI & 1 end into TV HDMI & start TV & Laptop?
Yes put the HDMI cord into your laptop HDMI port and then the other end to one of your TV HDMI ports.Make sure your TV input is on that HDMI port and start your laptop

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yes put the HDMI cord into your laptop HDMI port and then the other end to one of your TV HDMI ports.Make sure your TV input is on that HDMI port and start your laptop
I dont know about the bold above. TV has 2 HDMI ports i.e HDMI & HDMI/DVI. I will try both. This will not affect the TV in any way, right?

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I dont know about the bold above. TV has 2 HDMI ports i.e HDMI & HDMI/DVI. I will try both. This will not affect the TV in any way, right?
Just unplug the HDMI from the back of your cable box or whatever you have hooked up to that port on your TV and plug it in the laptop.Start the laptop.
No it will not hurt your TV it is no different than hooking a gaming console,DVD player,ROKU,Amazon Fire TV,etc.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Just unplug the HDMI from the back of your cable box or whatever you have hooked up to that port on your TV and plug it in the laptop.Start the laptop.
No it will not hurt your TV it is no different than hooking a gaming console,DVD player,ROKU,Amazon Fire TV,etc.
Ok, I attached HDMI cable on TV HDMI port & Laptop HDMI port. Started the TV & Laptop. Display appeared on Laptop but not TV. TV mentioned check the connection & source. Both were fine. Tried both the HDMI & HDMI/DVI ports on the TV with same results.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Ok, I attached HDMI cable on TV HDMI port & Laptop HDMI port. Started the TV & Laptop. Display appeared on Laptop but not TV. TV mentioned check the connection & source. Both were fine. Tried both the HDMI & HDMI/DVI ports on the TV with same results.
So the laptop display is OK now? You have a display or did you just have no display on the laptop during boot.
I apologize but I am confused.From all this I am under the impression when your laptop is on you have no display just a black screen.

For the laptop there should be a F key with the monitor icon on it.Like F5 or F4 keys.Press whichever one using FN+F5 or FN+F4 and it should toggle through the display outputs such as internal/internal and external/external.Sometime this has to be set in the BIOS depending on the machine.
Could it be possible that you accidentally pressed one of these keys before and had your display on external only and once you hooked it to the TV it might have went back to internal?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
So the laptop display is OK now? You have a display or did you just have no display on the laptop during boot.
I apologize but I am confused.From all this I am under the impression when your laptop is on you have no display just a black screen.

For the laptop there should be a F key with the monitor on it.Like F5 or F4 keys.Press whichever one using FN+F5 or FN+F4 and it should toggle through the display outputs such as internal/internal and external/external.
Could it be possible that you accidentally pressed one of these keys before and had your display on external only and once you hooked it to the TV it might have went back to internal?
The laptop display is not ok i.e when I start the laptop sometimes it boots fine i.e screen appears & sometimes doesn't boots fine i.e black screen. And when it doesn't boots fine then I have to try couple things i.e try booting again, try booting with laptop shutter moving front & back, try booting laptop shutter with half down, try booting laptop shutter with completely back, etc... And 3-5-8-10 tries I am able to boot fine.

Now when I did the external display thing with TV & Laptop, Laptop booted fine i.e screen appeared but TV mentioned check source & connection & I checked those were fine. The display should appear on any one or both?

I didn't pressed any key & dont know if it went back to internal.
But after the system booted I checked the display settings & there was an option that I dont see normally in the display settings. The option was set to "Duplicate" & drop down menu had other options like "Multiple", "1" & "2". I tried all the options & restarted the system but TV mentioned the same thing i.e check source & connection.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
How many HDMI ports do you have on your TV? do you have the right input selected? You should have display options for
internal > Laptop only
Internal & External > Both Laptop & External monitor,TV,etc.
External > External monitor or TV only

They might be named differently but should give you the same results

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
How many HDMI ports do you have on your TV? do you have the right input selected? You should have display options for
internal > Laptop only
Internal & External > Both Laptop & External monitor,TV,etc.
External > External monitor or TV only

They might be named differently but should give you the same results
I have 2 HDMI ports on TV, HDMI & HDMI/DVI. I tried both the ports.
What do you mean by right input selected?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
On the TV.You have to select the input such as HDMI 1,HDMI 2,AV etc.
Ok, that I did. Thats "Source" on my TV. I have to select "Source" to select HDMI, HDMI/DVI, AVI, TV.
When I used HDMI port I selected HDMI on Source Menu & When I used HDMI/DVI then I selected HDMI/DVI on Source Menu.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Maybe to display on the TV try pushing the Windows+P key for display options.
Thanks @frogboy I'm sorry I forgot you were on Windows 10.Yes press the Windows key plus "P" and choose second screen only
After that if you cannot view the laptop and or your still having issues with the display on the laptop I don't know what else to do besides getting a new Laptop.
I installed Windows 10 on some very old machines and never had any issues.In fact the only machine was my ASUS ROG which I finally got Windows 10 to stick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I will do that & post the result here.

But if the screen appears on TV, how do that determine the display prob on Laptop? Coz I have to press Windows Key + P on reaching the desktop on the laptop...that means my laptop booted fine (no black screen) thats why we reached desktop. And pressing Windows Key + P here means we are simply extending the display or selecting TV for display.

I thought external display would be like...I attach HDMI cable to TV & Laptop HDMI port & start both. If the display appears on TV & not on Laptop then it could mean that the prob is with Laptop hardware & not software or driver.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
If you choose dual screen it will tell you just that.
But the laptop already booted fine i.e no black screen. So I would be just extending or selecting TV as display or dual display.

Can I select dual display & shutdown system, shutdown TV, remove HDMI cable & test later i.e dual display setting would be intact or again I have to boot into the system & select the setting?

Or Can I select dual display & shutdown system & TV & test later i.e dual display settings would be intact?

What I want to see is that when I start the system & TV & display only appears on TV & not system then it could mean prob with Laptop hardware & not software or driver.

I hope you read the thread & know the display prob with the laptop.
The display prob is -
"When I start the laptop sometimes it boots fine i.e screen appears & sometimes doesn't boots fine i.e black screen. And when it doesn't boots fine then I have to try couple things i.e try booting again, try booting with laptop shutter moving front & back, try booting laptop shutter with half down, try booting laptop shutter with completely back, etc... And after 3-5-8-10 tries I am able to boot fine. The prob is with initial start only i.e subsequent restart & even continue shutdown & start works fine. The prob is only if the system is shutdown & started after long time like few hours or next day then either it will boot fine on the first start or after few tries as mentioned above".

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.