Advice Request Edge tracking protection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JohnR

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 19, 2020
TPL.png

Have been looking through the content of the above 'Edge Trust Protections', and assuming use of UBO/Adguard or similar, is there any reason to leave Edge tracking prevention switched on?

Am easy either way, but wondered if most of the Edge protection offered little more than duplication :unsure:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I'd leave Edge's Tracking Prevention on Balanced if I used a separate ad/tracker blocker, just so it's restricting storage access to any APIs that extensions may not be able to block. And because it's only restricting storage access you'll know that any website breakages are being caused solely by your extension.
It's not necessary though. You'll get along just fine if you choose to disable Tracking Prevention.

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Sttttt don't tell anyone but Microsoft's tracking protection has an option to add additional ADVERTISING & TRACKING DOMAINS, lets keep it a MT-forum secret

Navigate with EXPLORER to OTHER file (marked in the picture below), open with NOTEPAD and add additional domains in this FORMAT:

BlockThisDomain.com/
AndOneMoreWebsiteToBlock.org/
ForTheMemberWhoHasNotGotHowItWorksAnotherExample.net/

Important: each line has to end with / (slash), because it blocks URL's and seems to use the slash as an entity separator (websites and pages use the slash more or less similar like folders and files are separated by a back slash)

1590322758065.png

;)

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Forgot to mention: I use two profiles, one hardened (indeed like W_S @oldschool :censored: but the guy posted some nice things, pardon me for copying it ;)) and one in default settings.In Default Settings Anti-Tracking monitors user engagement with a website, so bookmarked websites will still allow the domains which I added in Other (that is why I use strict blocking in hardened mode).

I am reluctant in adding domains, currently only a few (a Belgium and a Dutch a tracking service and two Dutch in video ad services)

1590332828095.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.