elliotcroft's power config

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
My Windows partition got corrupted and my last image was ages ago, I didn't have any real valuable data on it, but now I'm left without Windows.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
elliotcroft said:
How's this configuration?

Wow that's a power config.... :p .For how long are you using this config?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
You have a lot of security products runing in real time...
Is SAS 5 really that effective in real time protection?(i've only tested SAS 4 real time protection..and it was pretty useless)

Recommendations
Extra protection :
Norton DNS (Free) - link
It automatically blocks dangerous Web sites so you can surf the Web without worrying about getting infected or scammed.

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

If you want to try some other on-demand scanners this are some few suggestions :

Additional On-demand scanners:
Emsisoft Emergency Kit (Free) - link
With the Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner you have got the powerful Emsisoft Scanner including graphical user interface. Search the infected PC for Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Dialers, Keyloggers and other malign programs.
Run the Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner with a double click on a2emergencykit.exe. Found Malware can be moved to quarantine or finally deleted.

Additional on-demand scanner:
Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

Edit : We fixed the problem with the Opera browser,you can now use it again.Thank you for the feedback.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
I use Comodo SecureDNS because I can ignore blocked websites.
I sometimes do malware research, so I don't want to have any malware rendered inaccessible.

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011
elliotcroft said:
I sometimes do malware research, so I don't want to have any malware rendered inaccessible.
You could try ClearCloud...
I would suggest that you use a VM for testing , Virtual Box is free. :D
And if you want to experiment a little I would suggest to replace GessWall Free with BuferZone Pro

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Linuxfever said:
elliotcroft said:
You could try ClearCloud...
I would suggest that you use a VM for that , Virtual Box is free. :D
And if you want to experiment a little I would suggest to replace GessWall Free with BuferZone Pro
Thanks for the advice, but I have used GeSWall for over a year and I love it. I am never leaving it.
As for using ClearCloud, I'm okay with SecureDNS for now.
VirtualBox install never finishes for me, even though the actual program is fully installed, so when I next install something with Windows installer it makes me roll back the so called unfinished install.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Pretty tight. It wouldn't work for my laptop, though.

I stopped using Opera because it crashed 3-5 times a day. Good old Chrome.

I personally just use Comodo's firewall and D+ on paranoid mode (so as not to use the TVL), along with WOT. Works for me.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
LaserWraith said:

I personally just use Comodo's firewall and D+ on paranoid mode (so as not to use the TVL), along with WOT. Works for me.
Try me.
I have a 1.60 GHz Intel Atom single core netbook with 1GB RAM.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Haven't tried GesWall for quite some time - any new versions/improvements lately?

Just a tip: You can use a software tool (DNS Jumper) to quickly switch between DNS servers. NortonDNS now allows you to add exclusions (link).

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
Haven't tried GesWall for quite some time - any new versions/improvements lately?

Just a tip: You can use a software tool (DNS Jumper) to quickly switch between DNS servers. NortonDNS now allows you to add exclusions (link).
Nothing really new in features, but I like GeSWall just how it is.
I'll have a look at DNS jumper, thanks. :)

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
elliotcroft said:
LaserWraith said:

Try me.
I have a 1.60 GHz Intel Atom single core netbook with 1GB RAM.

Lol, okay okay. You win. :p

Maybe I just value my speed, and having Wuala/uTorrent/XChat/WordWeb runing all the time.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Linuxfever said:
elliotcroft said:
I would suggest that you use a VM for testing , Virtual Box is free. :D

Please be aware that for testing security programs VirtualBox is generally not suggested. From what I've seen VMWare does much better.

And also,@ elliotcroft, I'm not sure that you also need SuperAntiSpyware running in real-time. Honestly, between Avast 6 and Comodo Firewall (with sandbox set to restricted) I'd think you'd be fine in almost any situation.

If you don't mind me asking, what has made you so paranoid? :D

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Chiron said:
Linuxfever said:
And also,@ elliotcroft, I'm not sure that you also need SuperAntiSpyware running in real-time. Honestly, between Avast 6 and Comodo Firewall (with sandbox set to restricted) I'd think you'd be fine in almost any situation.

If you don't mind me asking, what has made you so paranoid? :D
Well I'm beta testing the V5 of SuperAntiSpyware, so I should use it in real time.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Looks like you have complex config. :p How have you configured Comodo Firewall? Does it have cloud scanning?

Also just in general how do you use your computer with all those products? :D

How is SAS 5 Beta?

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
stormgtr said:
Looks like you have complex config. :p How have you configured Comodo Firewall? Does it have cloud scanning?

Also just in general how do you use your computer with all those products? :D

How is SAS 5 Beta?
The configuration doesn't use much in terms of resources, it's Opera I have to watch out for.
SAS 5 Beta isn't much different to 4 other than the interface.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How about in terms of usability? :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.