Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9 Final Test (MalwareDoctor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Product name
Emsisoft

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Like all video reviews, there is no distinction between potentially unwanted programs and malware. PUPs will always be harder to detect than actual malware because their behavior is much less likely to trigger a behavioral alert.

Then you couldn't figure out what was wrong with the internet connection on the VM. Was it related to malware or not?

HitmanPro and Malwarebytes didn't work, so you finished your review with nothing? Are you unable to reach any conclusion without these tools? What if malware isn't detected by HitmanPro or Malwarebytes and still infects the system, is it clean then? What if Malwarebytes and HitmanPro throw out a false-positive, is the system infected then?

Lailson

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2014
Thanks for the test.
I disagree with the note'' 2'' in the first test Emsisoft malware and blocked all in the second half let a few Pups that most av does not detect, as eset just a few. Note 5 or minimum 4 our 3...
+1 @FleischmannTV

Last edited:
Reactions: kmr1684

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Like all video reviews, there is no distinction between potentially unwanted programs and malware. PUPs will always be harder to detect than actual malware because their behavior is much less likely to trigger a behavioral alert.

Then you couldn't figure out what was wrong with the internet connection on the VM. Was it related to malware or not? [/QUOTE]

I can guarantee you with almost 100% certainty that the network connection loss was due to malware activity. Without digging deeper into trying to find the root of the problem (downloading Norton Power Eraser with the definition database already installed could have been a possibility as well as different bootable antivirus rescue CD ) I felt no serious need to. I have never had issues with my VM's internet connection other than when testing security software. This brings the possible causes down to two: 1) Emsisoft accidentally disabled the internet connection (even without Online Armor installed) or 2) it was due to malicious activity. Neither one of those possibilities makes Emsisoft look good.

Like I mentioned briefly above I could use a USB or bootable antivirus CD to try to clean the system (or at-least see what Emsisoft missed). To be honest, what difference does it make at this point? The system is not operating normally and Emsisoft allowed it to happen. When I see products fail to be proactive about threats I wonder why I should be proactive to try to clean the infections they let through? I am sure some could argue this but I believe it is a waste of time. EmIf I was testing Dr. Webs LiveUSB I would make a review specifically for it not showing it clean up another products mess.

What if malware isn't detected by HitmanPro or Malwarebytes and still infects the system, is it clean then? What if Malwarebytes and HitmanPro throw out a false-positive, is the system infected then?

Well, there is such a thing called human error. I try to limit this as much as possible by utilizing two different opinions (or four if you want to include Hitman Pro's engines). Sure I could run ESET Online Scanner (which would not have worked in this case), Norton Power Eraser and Comodo Cleaning Essentials but they are all separate entities of one another and do not have the same amount of notoriety as does Malwarebyte's (doesn't brand recognition have anything at all to do with the performance of a product?). Sure that was a bit opinionated but I hope you can see my point. If a false positive is caught by Hitman Pro what are the odds it will be caught by MBAM as well? That is why I always check the file location the scan result logs to see if any overlap (which if both condemn is a pretty good indication that the file is malicious)

Thanks for the test.
I disagree with the note'' 2'' in the first test Emsisoft malware and blocked all in the second half let a few Pups that most av does not detect, as eset just a few. Note 5 or minimum 4 our 3...
+1 @FleischmannTV

If I could I would remove the two stars from my OP. In the moment I decided to rate EAM based upon my opinion of it's performance in this test. In the future I will not rate products (kind of goes against my principles as well).

D

Deleted member 178

it is why using VMs for malware is useless; you want real results , take a old machine and test on it; it is why i rarely watch malware testing, mostly people use VMs and the results is NEVER accurate, just an approximation of the real world effect.

Lailson

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2014
Vm are not really 100% true .. but approaching quite.The what I meant is that Emsisoft did a great job on both parts of the test, unfortunately the internet was impaired, whether or not by malware activity, and it strange that these PUPs were so aggressive to the point of causing such a problem and this convergence of opinions is part.
Without it Emsisoft deserved full marks, the more this is their vision and I respect it remains a great test, congratulations :)

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Darth Umbra use to say:

"my young disciple, nothing is free in this world, you will pay in a way or another, as the Jedi paid for believing the galaxy was free of the sith"
I'd probably agree with him then but time changed, internet marketing is something that need to be learn, for me I'm to old but 20th ages it's a good idea. believe or not they are making more money than we can think of just for giving it free.

D

Deleted member 178

getting something free from a company implies:

- you give your email and they do whatever they want with it (reselling it, sharing it with partners, etc...)
- you gives free advertisement for them (like avast advertise their huge number of users; even if the same user gave 10+ different emails ^^)
- you may buy the products for better features or supports
- some devious vendors data-mine you and collect various infos about you (IP adress, OS & softs used, etc...)
- you may become part of a legal botnet (by this i mean, your computer is used by their cloud or other service to host signatures/files/hash, etc...)
- you are a guinea pig; they use the free version to test for the paid one released a bit later.

etc...etc...etc...

most are invisible to you or don't impact you deeply so you can bear it , but at the final , you "paid" for it

in our world :

"knowledge and information are the real root of power"

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
it is why using VMs for malware is useless; you want real results , take a old machine and test on it; it is why i rarely watch malware testing, mostly people use VMs and the results is NEVER accurate, just an approximation of the real world effect.
not really, testing malware in a vm is one of the safest ways to test malware and besides a few years back a pc repair person said to test malware in vm for safely reasons

D

Deleted member 178

not really, testing malware in a vm is one of the safest ways to test malware and besides a few years a pc repair person said to test malware in vm for safely reasons

yes if you have only one machine and just want to play with malwares a bit , i can understand the repair guy's statement; but if you want be a REAl "malware tester" giving serious and legit results and inform people; go buy an old PC just for this task.

if test labs said "we do in VMs" , no one will take their results seriously and all will laugh at them.

now you have 2 choices:

1- stay an amateur
2- move up and be more professional

the choice is yours.

emsisofts BB should had stop the malware from killing the internet

as i said , VM = non-accurate

if this result was from a real system , i will say "go report the fail"

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's not the most realistic way to test security software, as some malware can detect their environment. But, it is the cheapest viable option for most people.

Use of VM and Virtualisation in the real world is not useless.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
yes if you have only one machine and just want to play with malwares a bit , i can understand the repair guy's statement; but if you want be a REAl "malware tester" giving serious and legit results and inform people; go buy an old PC just for this task.

if test labs said "we do in VMs" , no one will take their results seriously and all will laugh at them.

now you have 2 choices:

1- stay an amateur

the choice is yours.

of course all of these aren't accurate even if it will be done on real pc's, but it can give an idea about the reaction of the product, testing the machine with other software to see if its clean isn't professional at all especially if its zero day. the sys could be infected with clean result

cheers

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
getting something free from a company implies:

- you give your email and they do whatever they want with it (reselling it, sharing it with partners, etc...)
- you gives free advertisement for them (like avast advertise their huge number of users; even if the same user gave 10+ different emails ^^)
- you may buy the products for better features or supports
- some devious vendors data-mine you and collect various infos about you (IP adress, OS & softs used, etc...)
- you may become part of a legal botnet (by this i mean, your computer is used by their cloud or other service to host signatures/files/hash, etc...)
- you are a guinea pig; they use the free version to test for the paid one released a bit later.

etc...etc...etc...

most are invisible to you or don't impact you deeply so you can bear it , but at the final , you "paid" for it

in our world :

"knowledge and information are the real root of power"
the problem is nothing promise u privacy when you pay, microsoft isn't free and still collecting data about their users its called microsoft experience, of course u can disable these tasks but 99.9% of the users aren't aware of it. once u start to use the net u dont have privacy

Reactions: House_maniac

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013

now you have 2 choices:

1- stay an amateur

the choice is yours.

what are you saying its okay that malware disables the internet and BB does nothing about it i had an av last year that let a rootkit in while its BB did nothing about it

Reactions: nissimezra

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
It's not the most realistic way to test security software, as some malware can detect their environment. But, it is the cheapest viable option for most people.

Use of VM and Virtualisation in the real world is not useless.
thank you Huracan

Reactions: nissimezra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.