Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Avast Premium
In-depth Comparison

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
If privacy is your primary concern, then its Emsisoft. Emsisoft itself doesn't have that many settings and let's be honest, you don't need that many settings to have a proper working client for any AV. If you need more "quality of life" features or adjustability, that majority of the users won't ever use (and still pay for), than I'd have to give a mention to F-Secure or Eset. There is also the built-in Microsoft Defender into Windows 10 + Hard_configurator as an option.

Emsisoft is quite strong in the privacy corner and the remote workspace (optional), since the desktop client already does what it needs too. You can get a free trial on their website. As does the two out of three named options.

My advice is try them all out for a couple of days each and stick with what you find most suitable. Personally I stay away from Avast/AVG, but that's my opinion. I am a user of Emsisoft myself, I can always try and help if you need.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
If privacy is your primary concern, then its Emsisoft. Emsisoft itself doesn't have that many settings and let's be honest, you don't need that many settings to have a proper working client for any AV. If you need more "quality of life" features, that majority of the users won't ever use (and still pay for), than I'd have to place my vote for F-Secure or Eset.

Emsisoft is quite strong in the privacy corner and the remote workspace (optional), since the desktop client already does what it needs too. You can get a free trial on their website. As does the other two named options. There is also the built-in Microsoft Defender into Windows 10 + Hard_configurator as an option.

My advice is try them all out for a couple of days each and stick with what you find most suitable. Personally I stay away from Avast/AVG, but that's my opinion. I am a user of Emsisoft myself, I can always try and help if you have
I installed Emsisoft this morning and i must say i really like it so far. It is really good product and as i care a lot for my privacy i think i will pick Emsisoft.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Here is a GDPR checker.

This has nothing to do with the products itself instead just checks to see if the website is compatible with the GDPR.
Hi guys,
I need a little help here. I can´t decide which one do i pick so what do you think is the best choice for protection ?
Thanks in advance.
I'd go with Emsisoft over Avast any day. I think it has better protection and it's by far the most private antivirus company. Avast, on the other hand, is well known antivirus solution, but it did have scandals in past regarding their privacy practices.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
This has nothing to do with the products itself instead just checks to see if the website is compatible with the GDPR.
The OP asked for information on "My privacy (GDPR, data handling, privacy policies)", so I provided him a method to obtain empirical evidence on the subject, instead of people guessing or assuming the GDPR status of various companies.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
The OP asked for information on "My privacy (GDPR, data handling, privacy policies)", so I provided him a method to obtain empirical evidence on the subject, instead of people guessing or assuming the GDPR status of various companies.

Okay, but that websites doesn't check if company follows GDPR regulation. That specific website only checks if website is compliant regarding cookies. The only way to find out if company is compliant with regulation is by checking their privacy policy.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Okay, but that websites doesn't check if company follows GDPR regulation. That specific website only checks if website is compliant regarding cookies. The only way to find out if company is compliant with regulation is by checking their privacy policy.
So then how do you check to ensure the privacy policy is implemented properly? ;)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
So then how do you check to ensure the privacy policy is implemented properly? ;)

Well, I recently asked to have My Emsisoft account deleted (as I don't need it anymore) and they proceeded with my request. With that said, they follow GDPR regulation (at least regarding that).

If there's any security-related company I trust, it's Emsisoft. Used their product for one year, never had any problems and knowing their product won't collect data unlike competitors, they gained my trust. :D

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Well, I recently asked to have My Emsisoft account deleted (as I don't need it anymore) and they proceeded with my request. With that said, they follow GDPR regulation (at least regarding that).

If there's any security-related company I trust, it's Emsisoft. Used their product for one year, never had any problems and knowing their product won't collect data unlike competitors, they gained my trust. :D
I agree, Emsisoft is trustworthy and they have a great privacy policy. We were recently notified (not from GDPR officials) that we had a GDPR issue on our site, and while I was fixing the issue, I stumbled upon 2gdpr.com. And since the OP asked about GDPR I figured I would post a link, if anything to possibly help others out. They have levied billions of dollars in fines... it is nothing to play around with.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Privacy is not the only advantage emisi has over avast. I forgot to mention that avast is so powerful that it sometimes causes problems with os. I have been using emisi for about five years and have not experienced any such problems yet. The stability is also excellent.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Privacy is not the only advantage emisi has over avast. I forgot to mention that avast is so powerful that it sometimes causes problems with os. I have been using emisi for about five years and have not experienced any such problems yet. The stability is also excellent.
I really like Emsisoft. It is very light and my system is very responsive when opening programs and files so far so good till now.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I agree, Emsisoft is trustworthy and they have a great privacy policy. We were recently notified (not from GDPR officials) that we had a GDPR issue on our site, and while I was fixing the issue, I stumbled upon 2gdpr.com. And since the OP asked about GDPR I figured I would post a link, if anything to possibly help others out. They have levied billions of dollars in fines... it is nothing to play around with.
I'm not sure if they ever fined a company because of the cookies on the website. I wish they actually started doing that; EU budget would have skyrocketed. There are plenty of websites that aren't GDPR-compliant regarding cookies, especially huge ones and really popular. :)

TechAltar has a great video on topic;

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
First, Emsisoft support is great and friendly. They offer student discounts too. It is great at detecting PUPs. The BB is superb but it lacks a firewall and let us not forget about the high memory usage (it is a problem for some users while other does not see it as a problem).

Regarding Avast, it is light and the hardened mode is very effective and it is great to be used on family devices (and you should protect the settings with a password). Avast is a more complete suite, but do you need all the features offered? Another thing I liked about Avast is the Ransomware Shield which can be set to Strict and will warn you about every single application that tries to access your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.