EmsiSoft Incorporates Anti-Ransomware Into It's BB Technology

Emsisoft is adding an Anti-Ransomware module: Are you excited for this ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
@Emsisoft I do not mind even if it is marketing gimmick,every one has right to promote his business.
my point is that at least on clicking on this new window should be open not that of behaviour blocker window.
if you people say it is the part of behaviour blocker then every component is part of big package be it EAM or EIS,so on clicking any component same window should open.
by the way it took me more than half an hour to find where is the anti ransomware on main gui

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
A small remark regarding the question "Is the new Emsisoft Anti-Ransomware layer a marketing thing?":

Emsisoft Anti-Malware has already been quite advanced in protection against ransomware, when dedicated anti-ransomware tools were not even yet a thing, and today we believe we're pretty much in the leading group of available protection solutions against ransomware. But our main problem is that nobody knows about that, because our anti-ransomware functionality always was 'just a feature' of the behavior blocker component, and therefore it was difficult to promote it as something substantial.

Taking it from that perspective, yes, the anti-ransomware layer is a marketing thing. But on the other hand, you could also see it as a well deserved lift from 'just a feature' to an actual main protection component of the software, which it effectively always was, just well hidden. :)

The reason why it is impossible to turn off the anti-ransomware or behavior blocker separately is that both rely on the same technology that allows us to find and block malicious activity as it happens.

Thats what I said here EmsiSoft Incorporates Anti-Ransomware Into It's BB Technology

It was a cosmetic change(and a marketing move), but there is no problem at all because Emsisoft protection against Ransomware is one of the best if not the best on the market, consumers will appreciate to know that their solution can protect against this kind of threat.

I said many times in this thread that it was just a cosmetic change because I know that Emsisoft protects very well against Ransomware and zero day malware for years and some people where thinking "later is better than never", that protection against Ransomware is something new, that kind of reasoning doesnt make any sense.

Ps: Marketing for some people have a bad connotation but there is no reason to that, marketing can be a very good think and is vital for success.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
A small remark regarding the question "Is the new Emsisoft Anti-Ransomware layer a marketing thing?":

Emsisoft Anti-Malware has already been quite advanced in protection against ransomware, when dedicated anti-ransomware tools were not even yet a thing, and today we believe we're pretty much in the leading group of available protection solutions against ransomware. But our main problem is that nobody knows about that, because our anti-ransomware functionality always was 'just a feature' of the behavior blocker component, and therefore it was difficult to promote it as something substantial.

Taking it from that perspective, yes, the anti-ransomware layer is a marketing thing. But on the other hand, you could also see it as a well deserved lift from 'just a feature' to an actual main protection component of the software, which it effectively always was, just well hidden. :)

The reason why it is impossible to turn off the anti-ransomware or behavior blocker separately is that both rely on the same technology that allows us to find and block malicious activity as it happens.
If emsisoft doenst block steam games anymore i would like to know!

Reactions: AtlBo

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Okay, Tell me what game? I have only seen BB alerts nothing from signatures.

Did you report these games to Emsisoft? So they can fix the issue you only seem to have.
Ye they did state in 2 weeks ): i waited 3 weeks reported again send email... still after 3 weeks nothing so i stopped using it... it was Locosoccer and some other stupid games i bought to try :p

Reactions: askmark and AtlBo

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
It should have been done a lot earlier, but better late than never.o_O
Like it was stated many times already. Emsisoft's BB protected users from ransomware. So, they weren't late.

Wasnt bb was sigs
Which sigs? Bitdefender or Emsisoft? And are you completely certain it was false positive?

Visa

Level 1
Verified
May 31, 2017
Which sigs? Bitdefender or Emsisoft? And are you completely certain it was false positive?
If the game was downloaded and installed from Steam then it would have been a false positive otherwise his system would have become most likely ended up infected (since @Xsjx probably allowed it to run anyway having known it was a game he genuinely paid for and downloaded from a legitimate, trusted well-known source).

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
If the game was downloaded and installed from Steam then it would have been a false positive otherwise his system would have become most likely ended up infected (since @Xsjx probably allowed it to run anyway having known it was a game he genuinely paid for and downloaded from a legitimate, trusted well-known source).
It was indeed a false positive ( analysed myself and hybrid and vt )
I paid around 90 cent for it on steam :p

LocoSoccer on Steam

But one thing to say it is funny :p but it isnt worth 90 cent :p

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
Well, I sometimes miss it as well. Unfortunately, we don't have a hundred million dollar business to cross-finance pet projects like that. In the end, our products have to pay for themselves somehow. Online Armor failed to do that.

However, mamutu, if I read it right has found the right fit within the overall scheme of things where particular concern are those scramblers today or more familiarly known as ransomware has it not?

It's been quite awhile for me and malware scanning programs but I recall when first using that BB it could be locally configured to pick up on a lot of things even back then.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

Awesome, Thank You for that clarification EmsiSoft, and know that many of us here admire your work and appreciate the quality software your Dev's have made possible ;)

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Agreed, I have a library of 40 something games in Steam alone, and EmsiSoft has blocked 0%
of those titles. Never had an issue.
Hmmm it said it was an codeinjector.... i have done what i could do ask support send files ask support again send files again ask support again in around 8 WEEKS! they still didnt wanted ( or couldnt )to fix it but they said it was indeed a FP

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hmmm it said it was an codeinjector.... i have done what i could do ask support send files ask support again send files again ask support again in around 8 WEEKS! they still didnt wanted ( or couldnt )to fix it but they said it was indeed a FP
What game brother ?

Reactions: spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
@Xsjx doesn't like Emsisoft at all, and jumps on every occasions to do a bit of some kind of trolling to blackmail them;)
An Avira fanboy who is often absent on interesting threads about Avira's weaknesses, but is always here to criticize everything about Emsisoft, from their support,to how the product works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.