EmsiSoft Incorporates Anti-Ransomware Into It's BB Technology

Emsisoft is adding an Anti-Ransomware module: Are you excited for this ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
I won't compare here nor there since they are in fact two different approaches COMPLETELY, but I also see nothing at all intrusive in laying out where and how they differentiate and by no means should any feel slighted or even take exception when another developer is simply stating a factual enough point of difference in technique where concerns our newest nemesis known as ransomware. In fact it should be welcome because in no way is it hinted against EMSI's own excellent qualities.

But in all fairness to HeiDef as developer of RO I would be quite confident that EMSISOFT developer himself would also have no reservations in bringing forward his own views on the manner of how EMSISOFT while differing in approach could rebuttal with some interesting points of his own and how that product deals with various similar dangers from ransomware, and no doubt it too is still in somewhat early stages of refining it's own particular revisions in what might improve the core characteristic of meeting ransomware head on with success.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
If you are sitting at home with your backup drive connected to your PC then that's fine. However, if you are on-the-go type what serious backup plan you have when you are hit there and then? You'll need immediate recovery otherwise your working laptop will he dead.
You can use incremental backups to update your files, you will always have a copy of them in a safe place.
You can use any security tools but you will never have the mathematical certainty of avoiding a ransomware can encrypt your files.
You have to physically move your files in a serious backup, end of story.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You can use incremental backups to update your files, you will always have a copy of them in a safe place.
You can use any security tools but you will never have the mathematical certainty of avoiding a ransomware can encrypt your files.
You have to physically move your files in a serious backup, end of story.
And how often are you going to do your incremental backup? Every second or every minute? Remember your laptop has limited battery life. Running a backup very frequently will drain your battery when you are on-the-go.

There are some differences between PC and laptop users, ok?

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
We felt compelled to respond only because we were mentioned in this thread. Thanks @HarborFront

This is not to knock Emsisoft. It's probably a very good piece of software and by no means is RansomOff perfect...yet. But claiming a non-ransomware specific behavior blocker is going to stop all ransomware is disingenuous to users that rely on it. The video below shows a piece of custom ransomware we developed in house that we use to test other anti-ransom solutions.

We like to think we are pretty smart but the criminals who develop ransomware for a living probably are pretty bright too. And if we can develop a solution that bypasses "advanced" behavior blockers, well then it's probably only a matter of time before others do too. Again, not busting Emsisoft because at the end of the day we are all on the same side, but it's important to understand that solutions not designed specifically for ransomware will fail.

Nothing revolutionary in that video. Your product could miss a ransomware threat too ;) The video is more like some marketing attempt by exploiting a particular subject.;)

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
And how often are you going to do your incremental backup? Every second or every minute? Remember your laptop has limited battery life. Running a backup very frequently will drain your battery when you are on-the-go.

There are some differences between PC and laptop users, ok?
Personally I do a backup every week at my home on external HDD but I do not add new files so often.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Personally I do a backup every week at my home on external HDD but I do not add new files so often.
Of course no issue in your case since you are backing up weekly at home with your PC/laptop connected to an AC outlet.

If you are a laptop user on-the-go then how? Don't you want a software which can recover your files on-the-spot? Otherwise you cannot work since your files have been infected, ok? And, like I said, if you want to do backup every hour your laptop battery will be dead too

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
@HarborFront
Having a backup is one of the basic security measures when you use a Pc. You can't wait for your antivirus to do that for you. You need to take the time to do it or find a good backup software to do it at a schedule time for you. If you can't understand that, then you better don't use a Pc.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront
Having a backup is one of the basic security measures when you use a Pc. You can't wait for your antivirus to do that for you. You need to take the time to do it or find a good backup software to do it at a schedule time for you. If you can't understand that, then you better don't use a Pc.
FYI, I don't use backup software and I'm still posting here now and if you think I'm a safe surfer I tell you I'm not

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Of course no issue in your case since you are backing up weekly at home with your PC/laptop connected to an AC outlet.

If you are a laptop user on-the-go then how? Don't you want a software which can recover your files on-the-spot? Otherwise you cannot work since your files have been infected, ok? And, like I said, if you want to do backup every hour your laptop battery will be dead too
Create a new safe encrypted partition with Steganos Safe (often in giveaway) and put a copy of your files there.
I don't think a ransomware can access them, but your files are at risk the same because of a failure, for example.
This is also the reason for a external HDD or USB key or cloud, there are many opportunities.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Create a new safe encrypted partition with Steganos Safe (often in giveaway) and put a copy of your files there.
I don't think a ransomware can access them, but your files are at risk the same because of a failure, for example.
This is also the reason for a external HDD or USB key or cloud, there are many opportunities.
Why so difficult? If your security software has a file recovery feature won't it be easier, no?

Reactions: JB007 and AtlBo

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
FYI, backup is not infallible, ok?

WHAT!!! I beg to differ.

I have an image of my hard drive C: which includes all my installed software.

On the same drive I have a backup of all my photos, files, utilities, music, and purchased software.

This drive is D: and I also have D: synchronized with another drive E: (So D and E are duplicates of one another). Both these Backup drives are on board.

THEN. I have F and G which are not on board, but happen to be offline, these are 2 Western Digital External Drives, which are exact duplicates of D and E.

In other words I have 4 drives D, E, F, and G 2 online 2 offline (sitting in my closet) which contain all my software and images of my C: drive

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I won't compare here nor there since they are in fact two different approaches COMPLETELY, but I also see nothing at all intrusive in laying out where and how they differentiate and by no means should any feel slighted or even take exception when another developer is simply stating a factual enough point of difference in technique where concerns our newest nemesis known as ransomware. In fact it should be welcome because in no way is it hinted against EMSI's own excellent qualities.

But in all fairness to HeiDef as developer of RO I would be quite confident that EMSISOFT developer himself would also have no reservations in bringing forward his own views on the manner of how EMSISOFT while differing in approach could rebuttal with some interesting points of his own and how that product deals with various similar dangers from ransomware, and no doubt it too is still in somewhat early stages of refining it's own particular revisions in what might improve the core characteristic of meeting ransomware head on with success.
You are right. Developers have their own point of views.

But it's the user who'll evaluate which product is less risky and use it

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
WHAT!!! I beg to differ.

I have an image of my hard drive C: which includes all my installed software.

On the same drive I have a backup of all my photos, files, utilities, music, and purchased software.

This drive is D: and I also have D: synchronized with another drive E: (So D and E are duplicates of one another). Both these Backup drives are on board.

THEN. I have F and G which are not on board, but happen to be offline, these are 2 Western Digital External Drives, which are exact duplicates of D and E.

In other words I have 4 drives D, E, F, and G 2 online 2 offline (sitting in my closet) which contain all my software and images of my C: drive
Like I mentioned if you are at home connected to an ac outlet then it's fine.

Broaden your perspective. Think of yourself as an on-the-go user using a laptop with limited battery life. Have a different view, ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.