EmsiSoft Incorporates Anti-Ransomware Into It's BB Technology

Emsisoft is adding an Anti-Ransomware module: Are you excited for this ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I will test this out soon to see if it is or not i will disable everything except anti-ransom
Maybe I missed it.

Actually, there's no need to wait. If this anti-ransomware feature is just based on its BB then it can be tested now.

Testing Emsisoft's BB alone against ransomware say a mix of 20 ransomware samples would be a good test

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Read my post

......sure 100% ALL the time?

A ? at the end of my question, ok?

Straw Man fallacy.

I want the reason for this "What if you use Emsisoft software and gets infected with ransomware? Can you sue the company based on their claim?"

Where is their claim for 100 % protection?

You need to learn safe habits, use up to date software, learn to use SUA/UAC/Applocker, do backups, not necessarily install dedicated anti-ransomware.

Reactions: JB007 and AtlBo

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Maybe I missed it.

Actually, there's no need to wait. If this anti-ransomware feature is just based on its BB then it can be tested now.

Testing Emsisoft's BB alone against ransomware say a mix of 20 ransomware samples would be a good test

Like that?

Video done by Leo from The PC Security Channel [TPSC]

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Straw Man fallacy.

I want the reason for this "What if you use Emsisoft software and gets infected with ransomware? Can you sue the company based on their claim?"

Where is their claim for 100 % protection?

You need to learn safe habits, use up to date software, learn to use SUA/UAC/Applocker, do backups, not necessarily install dedicated anti-ransomware.
I'm referring the claim of being able to block ransomware before it even encrypts the first data file. And not 100% ALL the time, ok?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I'm referring the claim of being able to block ransomware before it even encrypts the first data file. And not 100% ALL the time, ok?

It does, you can test yourself, you can read the tests done in MalwareHub here on MalwareTips or you can simple watch the video that I posted above that shows Emsisoft doing exactly that (Behavior Blocker blocking Ransomware before it even encrypts the first data file).

The video from Leo has exactly 20 different kind of Ransomware, the video from RejZoR is very good too.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It does, you can test yourself, you can read the tests done in MalwareHub here on MalwareTips or you can simple watch the video that I posted above that shows Emsisoft doing exactly that (Behavior Blocker blocking Ransomware before it even encrypts the first data file).

The video from Leo has exactly 20 different kind of Ransomware, the video from RejZoR is very good too.
Did they test against Petya?

Reactions: JB007 and AtlBo

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Did they test against Petya?

Yes.

baOfMcL.jpg

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Harbor i love ya brother but really ? come on man.
Anti-Ransomware products fail all the time, look at how many fail in videos by CS, MT, ect
sueing them is not the answer and is useless in helping better the product, in fact is serves
to deplete their resources for improving the product.
Do you even use EmsiSoft ?
Yes, I do have EAM with CFW....previously

HeiDef

From HeiDef
Verified
Developer
Mar 27, 2017
We felt compelled to respond only because we were mentioned in this thread. Thanks @HarborFront

This is not to knock Emsisoft. It's probably a very good piece of software and by no means is RansomOff perfect...yet. But claiming a non-ransomware specific behavior blocker is going to stop all ransomware is disingenuous to users that rely on it. The video below shows a piece of custom ransomware we developed in house that we use to test other anti-ransom solutions.

We like to think we are pretty smart but the criminals who develop ransomware for a living probably are pretty bright too. And if we can develop a solution that bypasses "advanced" behavior blockers, well then it's probably only a matter of time before others do too. Again, not busting Emsisoft because at the end of the day we are all on the same side, but it's important to understand that solutions not designed specifically for ransomware will fail.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
We felt compelled to respond only because we were mentioned in this thread. Thanks @HarborFront

This is not to knock Emsisoft. It's probably a very good piece of software and by no means is RansomOff perfect...yet. But claiming a non-ransomware specific behavior blocker is going to stop all ransomware is disingenuous to users that rely on it. The video below shows a piece of custom ransomware we developed in house that we use to test other anti-ransom solutions.

We like to think we are pretty smart but the criminals who develop ransomware for a living probably are pretty bright too. And if we can develop a solution that bypasses "advanced" behavior blockers, well then it's probably only a matter of time before others do too. Again, not busting Emsisoft because at the end of the day we are all on the same side, but it's important to understand that solutions not designed specifically for ransomware will fail.

Interesting Video ~

No idea how Emsisoft official will response(comment) for this video :rolleyes:?

I remember that there is some of Emsisoft employee are also a member in MalwareTips , right :)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.