EmsiSoft Incorporates Anti-Ransomware Into It's BB Technology

Emsisoft is adding an Anti-Ransomware module: Are you excited for this ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
We felt compelled to respond only because we were mentioned in this thread. Thanks @HarborFront

This is not to knock Emsisoft. It's probably a very good piece of software and by no means is RansomOff perfect...yet. But claiming a non-ransomware specific behavior blocker is going to stop all ransomware is disingenuous to users that rely on it. The video below shows a piece of custom ransomware we developed in house that we use to test other anti-ransom solutions.

We like to think we are pretty smart but the criminals who develop ransomware for a living probably are pretty bright too. And if we can develop a solution that bypasses "advanced" behavior blockers, well then it's probably only a matter of time before others do too. Again, not busting Emsisoft because at the end of the day we are all on the same side, but it's important to understand that solutions not designed specifically for ransomware will fail.

Hi

To clarify.

Actually, Emsisoft did not claim its BB can stop ALL ransomware. I'm the one who questions whether its ability to stop ransomware infection without the first file being encrypted 100% ALL the time.

The reason I questioned is because I think there's a risk here. Like I mentioned what if one day Emsisoft fails to protect against a ransomware? Which dedicated anti-ransomware software or a security software with anti-ransomware feature dares to claim it can protect 100% against ALL ransomware?

I have Emsisoft AM and it's a great software with its BB. Emsisoft software would be greater if it incorporates a file recovery feature.

As for RansomOff I'm still waiting for its first stable release.

Last edited:

cutting_edgetech

Level 3
Verified
Feb 14, 2013
I'm not currently using Emsisoft, but if I was I would not be that excited. Emsisoft has had an Anti-Ransomware component to their behavior blocker for a long time. I think this is Emsisoft just wanting to advertise the fact that it's there. Most of the other vendors are flaunting their Anti-Ransomware feature so Emsisoft doesn't want to appear like they don't have one.

HeiDef

From HeiDef
Verified
Developer
Mar 27, 2017
Hi

To clarify.

Actually, Emsisoft did not claim its BB can stop ALL ransomware. I'm the one who questions whether its ability to stop ransomware infection without the first file being encrypted 100% ALL the time.

The reason I questioned is because I think there's a risk here. Like I mentioned what if one day Emsisoft fails to protect against a ransomware? Which dedicated anti-ransomware software or a security software with anti-ransomware feature dares to claim it can protect 100% against ALL ransomware?

I have Emsisoft AM and it's a great software with its BB. Emsisoft software would be greater if it incorporates a file recovery feature.

We are getting there ;) Although the last few releases have been pretty good.

But none should ever claim 100%. If you've been in this game long enough, you should know that that's just asking for it.

plurkstar

Level 1
Jun 1, 2017
hi, can you able to test hitmanpro.alert or zemana anti malware able to protect from ransomware since they all claim can protect the PC from ransomeware ?

Reactions: JB007 and AtlBo

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This is not to knock Emsisoft. It's probably a very good piece of software and by no means is RansomOff perfect...yet. But claiming a non-ransomware specific behavior blocker is going to stop all ransomware is disingenuous to users that rely on it
That is not what they claim and you should know this, why use that as an excuse to post that ? are you that hungry for attention ?
And I think if my memory serves me correctly Emsisoft's record far outpaces yours and you are designed spacifically for Ransomware are you not ? lol

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hi

To clarify.

He knows they didn't he was just looking for attention and used your post to do it, says a lot about him does it not.

HeiDef

From HeiDef
Verified
Developer
Mar 27, 2017
He knows they didn't he was just looking for attention and used your post to do it, says a lot about him does it not.

Sorry if you took it that way there @_CyberGhosT_. Not trying to get attention at all. Plus for what benefit? RansomOff is free. And yes, RansomOff is specifically designed for ransomware. Not sure why that is a 'lol' question.

Just making the point, after reading Harbor's comment, that nothing is 100%. We aren't claiming we are a 100% solution either but if we can design a piece of ransomware that defeats many advanced behavior blockers, what do you think actual criminals are going to do? And where does that leave folks who actually think their solution is 100% (whether claimed or not)?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Sorry if you took it that way there @_CyberGhosT_. Not trying to get attention at all. Plus for what benefit? RansomOff is free. And yes, RansomOff is specifically designed for ransomware. Not sure why that is a 'lol' question.

Just making the point, after reading Harbor's comment, that nothing is 100%. We aren't claiming we are a 100% solution either but if we can design a piece of ransomware that defeats many advanced behavior blockers, what do you think actual criminals are going to do? And where does that leave folks who actually think their solution is 100% (whether claimed or not) leave them?
I don't really follow you or your product so I won't comment on it, that would not be fair, all I am saying is it was very cheap the way you inserted yourself and your product into the EmsiSoft thread, were a very sharp group here at MT, the readers will take notice as well. Have a awesome day ;)

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
I would love to see Emsisoft devote some time and money to making a firewall as good as Comodo's firewall...

One that allows us to change settings just like Comodo.

This could be your new Anti-Ransom feature.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Cosmetic or not, Emsi BB is one of the best, but of course there is always room for improvement.
New behavioural patterns have to be implemented for better responsiveness.
Better responsiveness for BB is good. Why not include a file recovery feature....just in case. Or are they very confident that their BB will block All ransomware?

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
This should have been implemented a lot sooner
Protection against ransomwares have been present in Emsisoft products for a long time now, in their BB. Also, present, before many anti-ransomwares softwares were created. And it is nothing new that Emsisoft is extremely effective against these types of malwares. There are a lot of proofs on the net. This new anti-ransomware module is a good improvement on an already good and well matured protection.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No, you have to be safe: security apps + serious backup plan.
If you are sitting at home with your backup drive connected to your PC then that's fine. However, if you are on-the-go type what serious backup plan you have when you are hit there and then? You'll need immediate recovery otherwise your working laptop will he dead.

Reactions: JB007 and AtlBo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.