Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Windows Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Andy Ful's Hard_Configurator at Recommended Settings, ConfigureDefender component set to High, Firewall Hardening all default rules enabled
Periodic malware scanners
Emisoft Emergency Kit, HitmanPro, Malwarebytes Adwcleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chromium Edge Stable
Maintenance tools
Bleachbit
File and Photo backup
Monthly backup to external HD using Windows Built-in backup and occasional OneDrive manual sync
System recovery
Default Windows App
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Intel i3 1.7ghz
GPU Intel 4400 HD
Ram 12 Gig

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
For data backup, do you mean OneDrive or File History?

For system backup, do you mean Windows Backup or another built-in tool?

OneDrive - On Demand but most of the time I just do a full WIndows Backup but I was quite partial to Comodo Time Machine when it was an ongoing project. I'm open to free recommendations if anyone has one.

P.S. Been using NoScript intermittently with Firefox lately.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Doing a CIS fresh install later, just been playing around tweaking a load of CIS stuff and decided to revert back to default or CS settings. Still using FF though I miss the page translation of Chrome and the Firefox addon can be tedious as you have to select what to translate. Using laptop mainly for gaming and browsing.

Reactions: harlan4096

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Lots of configuration options, CS settings works ok, comodofix and imaude's configurations are intriguing as well but staying with CS. Firefox is fine but feels slow and laggy at times. Might give Comodo Dragon another go though I'm not a fan of yahoo search but I can change that.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Thanks! I find this one the best one PageTranslator – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-GB)
The revised separate addon acts odd with hovering links and this one doesn't take up part of the page telling you it's being google translated. I'd just wish it saved the target language.
I haven't use this one but it seems like for translating you need to click on extension icon. But the one I shared only show the translate icon beside the address bar when it detects a foreign language page and for me it works all the time.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I haven't use this one but it seems like for translating you need to click on extension icon. But the one I shared only show the translate icon beside the address bar when it detects a foreign language page and for me it works all the time.
Thanks. I prefer ones from the addon store but I'll give this a go.

EDIT: Found this one Translate Whole Page (to English) – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US) you still have to click to translate on the initial page but it automatically seems to do the other pages.

Anyway, this has been a great help towards me staying with Firefox. I think it my have been the Comodo online security addon that was slowing some of those pages.

E

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Updated 18/09/2019 - Now using CIS with Cruelsister settings with exception of Firewall auto-block. Stealthed ports and IPv6 Porle. t 546 DHCP. Also now with Internet Security Essentials installed and primarily using Comodo Dragon since it's been updated recently.

Not a great deal different from previous, just HIPS enabled and firewall changes.

Erz

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Backup solution for Windows is very vague, if you are using Ondrive that's great as a cloud source, but I would also have a HD as a secondary form of backup using Macrium Reflect or similar program. Apart from that great config otherwise.

~LDogg

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Backup solution for Windows is very vague, if you are using Ondrive that's great as a cloud source, but I would also have a HD as a secondary form of backup using Macrium Reflect or similar program. Apart from that great config otherwise.

~LDogg

Yes, sorry, still searching for a free dedicated backup other than OneDrive and the Windows Default. I'll have a look at Macrium Reflect and related software. Thanks :)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I can be a little indecisive when it comes to my security setup. I've liked Comodo with CS settings but I'm after maybe just WD and OS Armor. Will give it a go and see how I get on. I mainly use this for gaming and general web surfing.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Trying out WD with OSArmor, which seems to work great. Is SysHardener Harden Windows Settings with SysHardener | NoVirusThanks a good addition to a set and forget setup?

I'm just trying out different things. People have also mentioned Voodooshield but I wonder how much extra things would be to much.

I would stick with WD and OSArmor for now and see how it works for you. That's a simple setup that has proven to be quite effective and popular, especially if you add some of the advanced settings. Forget adding VS as it would be overkill.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.