Advanced Plus Security ErzCrz's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Mar 15, 2026
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
OS version and support details
N/A
On-device encryption
Windows BitLocker / Device Encryption
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
Router and network details
Sky Router with built-in IPV4/IPv6 Firewall
Real-time protection
Comodo Internet Security 2027
CyberLock
Device firewall
Other - Internet Security (3rd-party)
Custom security settings
Comodo Internet Security 2027 - Proactive, autocontainment to Untrusted
Cyberlock - ON - Firewall Rules for Unsafe Items. SmartFirewall Recommended, Require Captcha to exit.
RansomwareGuard
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes
Emsisoft
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
Primary: Edge with Osprey, uBlock Origin Lite & ESET
Secondary: Firefox with uBlock Origin & Osprey Browser Extension & ESET
Secure DNS
Quad9 DNS over HTTP
Desktop VPN
Firefox Free Built-In.
Password and passkey manager
Keepass 2.x
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in Disk Clean-up and Storage Sense.
File and photo backups
AOMEI Backupper Pro - Monthly Full Backups & Weekly Differential Backups
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Lenovo Built in Recovery, AOMEI Backupper Pro Recovering Environment & Bootable USB. Weekly differential and essentials backup
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Notable changes
See First Post Spoilers
08.02.2026 - 2026 setup - ESET Security Essentials, CyberLock, RansomwareGuard
11.03.2026 - Just minor tweak to DNS to DNS4EU servers.
15.03.2026 - Upgraded ESET to Premium
24.06.2026 - Switched DNS back to Sky DNS (Sky Shield)
23.07.2026 - Switched to Comodo Internet Security 2027
26.09.2026 - Changed DNS to Quad9
----------------------------------------
Disclaimer we use date format DD/MM/YYYY here in the UK
Feedback preference

Showcase only - no advice requested

I asked AI what the default setting is for HIPS of ESET, and it gives some options. Do you know what your default HIPS setting is
Default HIPS Rules
1773589589212.png

1773589624602.png
 
Ordered Win 11 Pro upgrade from SerialCart as it's always super cheap. Usually takes a day to process so I should get the code tomorrow. Anyway, I'll get Windows Sandbox for trying out setups and CyberLock will give me the option when I click a link to open the link in Edge or Sandbox when I click on it. Can't wait for this week to be over so I can get a well deserved 2 week break.
 
Minor update. Switched to defaul ISP Sky DNS (Sky Shield) It isn't encrypted like EU4DNS DNS but was having website issues with some sites inaccessible like amtso.org. Using @Foulest 's Osprey Browser Protection for additional DNS protection.
How was EU4DNS compared to Controld malware blocking dns? I see f-secure supports EU4DNS and thats what made me interested, except it will route trought sweden for me
 
Did this test work for you after setting up dns4eu https://test.joindns4.eu/

the dns was working as intended but the site did not detect it somehow
It did, I just couldn't access the site for some reason, tried all sorts and flushing dns got to the page but then subsequent pages on that site blocked. I'd have to go back to it to show screens which I will do here in a few. (below)

1782506979011.png
1782506946644.png


1782507023277.png
 
Last edited:
I like ESET albeit quite restrictive and sometimes a few glitches but with new CIS 2027 out, I switched back to it after a hiatus. People love it, people hate it. It's effective for me with CyberLock running along side it without issue. No longer looking for feedback.
 
Following a recovery of my system which turned out to be unnecessary, I thought I'd look at ESET again as I have 5 months left of subs on it.

Sadly initial scan now taking over 2 hours to complete, I'm thinking it must be a sign. can go back to the WD/D_UI/CL stack or look at other 3rd party options
:unsure:

EDIT: It's probably scanning low priority or something. I'm only using 5%cpu and 50%ram /shrug. Learning patience.

EDIT: Done after 2:30. Well, that's a thing. Hopefully it will cooperate or I'll just remove it and just use Windows Defender, CyberLock and DefenderUI with Firefox, uBO and Osprey.

1789838013255.png
 
Last edited:
Following a recovery of my system which turned out to be unnecessary, I thought I'd look at ESET again as I have 5 months left of subs on it.

Sadly initial scan now taking over 2 hours to complete, I'm thinking it must be a sign. can go back to the WD/D_UI/CL stack or look at other 3rd party options
:unsure:

EDIT: It's probably scanning low priority or something. I'm only using 5%cpu and 50%ram /shrug. Learning patience.

EDIT: Done after 2:30. Well, that's a thing. Hopefully it will cooperate or I'll just remove it and just use Windows Defender, CyberLock and DefenderUI with Firefox, uBO and Osprey.

View attachment 300101
Long initial scan = reason not to use it.

Damn. You are harsh ☹️
 
Long initial scan = reason not to use it.

Damn. You are harsh ☹️
Hehe just took a lot longer than usual and having spent half of yesterday also doing fresh backup and updating my scheme, I spent the better part of 6 hours waiting on things to finish with my laptop and was just a little at my whits end :) Anyway, today is a new day. It's all good now that it's up and running.
 
Because I'm trying out different solutions after this system rollback. I have been considering WD + MBAM + CL as a stack rather than hardening WD with DefenderUI or CD. Obviously MBAM did badly in a test here back in May so it would leave it unregistered from the Security Centre. Could be a fairly formidable setup if I do some whitelisting. The other option was Bitdefender Antivirus Plus though I think it'd be a heavier on my laptop. Anyway, MBAM was cheap on @SerialCart so we'll give it a go and see. If anything, it'll be decent additional web protection since I use Firefox.
 
uBO blocked ClickFix on a page. Decided it might be worth adding Malwarebytes Browser Guard with clipboard permission as a backup in case I do something stupid. Screen was from Edge but got the same in Firefox. Then opening the page in private window MBAM extension blocked malware URL.
1790374070516.png


1790374145553.png

I use sort of a modified hard mode which I've found out isn't all that secure with those noop rules so I think I'll be running just the top two rules and then create rules for pages I visit regularly and then just do temp rules for pay sites etc that way it's actual hard mode.

* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
* com * noop
* eu * noop
* info * noop
* io * noop
* net * noop
* org * noop
* twitch.tv * noop
* uk * noop
 
In the end, running true medium mode.
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block

And swapped DNS from Sky with no encryption or protection to DNS4EU which is encrypted and includes malware/phishing protection while still being great ping :)
 
uBO blocked ClickFix on a page. Decided it might be worth adding Malwarebytes Browser Guard with clipboard permission as a backup in case I do something stupid. Screen was from Edge but got the same in Firefox. Then opening the page in private window MBAM extension blocked malware URL.

I use sort of a modified hard mode which I've found out isn't all that secure with those noop rules so I think I'll be running just the top two rules and then create rules for pages I visit regularly and then just do temp rules for pay sites etc that way it's actual hard mode.

* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
* com * noop
* eu * noop
* info * noop
* io * noop
* net * noop
* org * noop
* twitch.tv * noop
* uk * noop

Hi, this is Medium Mode + TLD's.
You might want to use the @LinuxFan58 extension, which is definitely easier and more efficient for you than pure Medium Mode.
 
Hi, this is Medium Mode + TLD's.
You might want to use the @LinuxFan58 extension, which is definitely easier and more efficient for you than pure Medium Mode.
Thanks! I'll have a look. I think I saw that stripped back ublock topic but been pretty busy lately and hadn't had time to have a look. Normally a Firefox user as of late but would swap over to a chromium one to try this out :)
 
Added additional information such as I'm now doing a Essentials differential backup when I attach my external backup drive. Filled in missing data. I bounce between this and CyberLock with ESET Premium which I have a handful of months left with.

ErzCrz Security Config 2026 · Setup v2
Updated Oct 1, 2026

What changed
  • Browsers and extensions: Primary: Edge with Osprey, uBlock Origin Lite & ESET
    Secondary: Firefox with uBlock Origin & Osprey Browser Extension & ESET → Primary: Firefox with uBlock Origin in Medium Mode and Malwarebytes Browser Guard
    Secondary: Edge with Stripped Back uBlock
  • File and photo backups: AOMEI Backupper Pro - Monthly Full Backups & Weekly Differential Backups → AOMEI Backupper Pro - Monthly Full Backups & Weekly Differential Backups. On plug in of external for essential backups e.g. documents, photos etc.
  • Notable changes: See First Post Spoilers

    08.02.2026 - 2026 setup - ESET Security Essentials, CyberLock, RansomwareGuard
    11.03.2026 - Just minor tweak to DNS to DNS4EU servers.
    15.03.2026 - Upgraded ESET to Premium
    24.06.2026 - Switched DNS back to Sky DNS (Sky Shield)
    23.07.2026 - Switched to Comodo Internet Security 2027
    26.09.2026 - Changed DNS to Quad9
    ----------------------------------------
    Disclaimer we use date format DD/MM/YYYY here in the UK → See First Post Spoilers

    08.02.2026 - 2026 setup - ESET Security Essentials, CyberLock, RansomwareGuard
    11.03.2026 - Just minor tweak to DNS to DNS4EU servers.
    15.03.2026 - Upgraded ESET to Premium
    24.06.2026 - Switched DNS back to Sky DNS (Sky Shield)
    23.07.2026 - Switched to Comodo Internet Security 2027
    26.09.2026 - Changed DNS to
    01.10.2026 - Minor updates and filled in missing parts.
    ----------------------------------------
    Disclaimer we use date format DD/MM/YYYY here in the UK
  • Custom security settings: Comodo Internet Security 2027 - Proactive, autocontainment to Untrusted
    Cyberlock - ON - Firewall Rules for Unsafe Items. SmartFirewall Recommended, Require Captcha to exit.
    RansomwareGuard → Comodo Internet Security 2027 - Proactive, auto-containment to Restricted
    Cyberlock - ON - Firewall Rules for Unsafe Items. SmartFirewall Recommended, Create Rules for unsafe Enabled both Inbound/Outbound
    RansomwareGuard (Testing now and then but not enabled full time
  • On-device encryption: Older selection — review required → Encryption not enabled
  • Device sign-in security: Older selection — review required → Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
  • Two-factor authentication: Not specified → Keepass Built in TOTP
  • Usage and exposure: Older selection — review required → Visiting familiar websites, Working from home, Opening email attachments, Online shopping and card payments, Downloading software and files from reputable sites, Gaming, Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
  • Feedback preference: Older selection — review required → Detailed suggestions and alternatives welcome
My current setup
  • Operating system: Windows 11
  • Real-time protection: Comodo Internet Security 2027
    CyberLock
  • File and photo backups: AOMEI Backupper Pro - Monthly Full Backups & Weekly Differential Backups. On plug in of external for essential backups e.g. documents, photos etc.
  • Device firewall: Other - Internet Security (3rd-party)
  • Browsers and extensions: Primary: Firefox with uBlock Origin in Medium Mode and Malwarebytes Browser Guard
    Secondary: Edge with Stripped Back uBlock
  • Main use of this computer: For home and private use
  • OS version and support details: N/A
  • On-device encryption: Encryption not enabled
  • Device sign-in security: Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
  • Security updates: Allow security updates and latest features
  • Update channels: Allow stable updates only
  • User Account Control (UAC): Always notify
  • Smart App Control: Off
  • Network firewall: Enabled
  • Router and network details: Sky Router with built-in IPV4/IPv6 Firewall
  • Custom security settings: Comodo Internet Security 2027 - Proactive, auto-containment to Restricted
    Cyberlock - ON - Firewall Rules for Unsafe Items. SmartFirewall Recommended, Create Rules for unsafe Enabled both Inbound/Outbound
    RansomwareGuard (Testing now and then but not enabled full time
  • Periodic malware scanners: Malwarebytes
    Emsisoft
  • Malware sample testing: I do not participate in malware testing
  • Environment for malware testing: N/A
  • Secure DNS: Quad9 DNS over HTTP
  • Desktop VPN: Firefox Free Built-In.
  • Password and passkey manager: Keepass 2.x
  • Two-factor authentication: Keepass Built in TOTP
  • Maintenance tools: Windows built-in Disk Clean-up and Storage Sense.
  • Subscriptions: None
  • System recovery: Lenovo Built in Recovery, AOMEI Backupper Pro Recovering Environment & Bootable USB. Weekly differential and essentials backup
  • Usage and exposure: Visiting familiar websites, Working from home, Opening email attachments, Online shopping and card payments, Downloading software and files from reputable sites, Gaming, Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
  • Computer specs: ErzCrz Laptop Specs 2025
  • Notable changes: See First Post Spoilers

    08.02.2026 - 2026 setup - ESET Security Essentials, CyberLock, RansomwareGuard
    11.03.2026 - Just minor tweak to DNS to DNS4EU servers.
    15.03.2026 - Upgraded ESET to Premium
    24.06.2026 - Switched DNS back to Sky DNS (Sky Shield)
    23.07.2026 - Switched to Comodo Internet Security 2027
    26.09.2026 - Changed DNS to
    01.10.2026 - Minor updates and filled in missing parts.
    ----------------------------------------
    Disclaimer we use date format DD/MM/YYYY here in the UK
  • Feedback preference: Detailed suggestions and alternatives welcome
Feedback on this setup is welcome.
 
I love Comodo's auto-containment feature :)

Isn't this module + Cyberlock kind of redundant? Why would you need an anti-executable to stop untrusted files from being ran, if such files will be contained by Comodo anyways? :)
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top