ESET 13.1.16.0

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
One question: I use ConsoleAct Portable in KMS Tools by Ratiborus.( I use it to activate Office 365) When unzipping the zip file, I always pause KIS.
Now in ESET Internet Security, during the installation I turned off the detection for potentially unwanted applications.

If I didn't do that, it would detect ConsoleAct Portable, right?

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
One question: I use ConsoleAct Portable in KMS Tools by Ratiborus.( I use it to activate Office 365) When unzipping the zip file, I always pause KIS.
Now in ESET Internet Security, during the installation I turned off the detection for potentially unwanted applications.

That really depends, but if it is a common PUP/PUA then it most likely would. ESET is very proactive about PUAs. I believe you can add it as a performance exception for scanning, but I'm not sure if it will ignore it as real-time. @SeriousHoax might know more.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Holy cow the WMI and Registry Scanner are completely broken. The initial scan ran when I installed it, it scanned forever but didn’t actually scan anything. Just said it wasn’t able to open thousands of files. Apparently a known issue.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Holy cow the WMI and Registry Scanner are completely broken. The initial scan ran when I installed it, it scanned forever but didn’t actually scan anything. Just said it wasn’t able to open thousands of files. Apparently a known issue.
:(

This throws some cold water on those who put ESET in a pedestal about how they don’t have feature creep and how they write everything in assembly so therefore it’s more polished, etc.

Not to rant about ESET. I think it’s a great product and their principles are sound. Just nobody is impervious to how modern software development is done.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
:(

This throws some cold water on those who put ESET in a pedestal about how they don’t have feature creep and how they write everything in assembly so therefore it’s more polished, etc.

Not to rant about ESET. I think it’s a great product and their principles are sound. Just nobody is impervious to how modern software development is done.
Yeah, it definitely feels like a marketing gimmick. Not something ESET has been in the habit of lately. But, it sounds like they have a fix on the way. It could be useful, but honestly it’s mostly tacked on. I actually already had ascertained it was unnecessary and potentially not working right. I’m more bummed that both scans are on by default for the initial install.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I don´t see the usefulness of scanning the registry. If you find malware in the computer just delete the files and the known associated registry keys like other products do.
Precisely. It’s just a gimmick time waster.
Btw, I'm pretty sure ESET don't delete leftover registry entries of malwares if the system is already infected. AVs like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Norton and even Windows Defender are pretty good at malware removal and their engine also takes time to remove threats. To me it looks like ESET only deletes the malware and any running processes associated with it. It doesn't look for potential registry entries, startup entries, etc made by malwares hence the removal process of ESET is extremely quick. It removes everything in a flash. Of course stopping malwares in the first place should be the main job of AVs and no doubt ESET is very good at that but I would not trust ESET to remove malwares from an infected system. One must use other tools for that. I'm not sure how effective this new registry scanner is and what does it actually look for there.

blackice is right. Performance exclusion should skip it from scanning by real time protection and contextual scans. If it does the job for you then do it and don't disable real time protection.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The WMI and registry scan was already integrated into Eset a long time ago, what they did with the update only allows you to choose whether to scan the two areas or to avoid it.
Yep, you’re right this was just “enhancements”. Just an update with a bug. Not a big deal, just annoying as it runs those scans by default when you initially install.

@SeriousHoax Yeah I wouldn’t count on their malware removal. However I honestly wouldn’t trust any malware removal. If I found running malware on my system I’d be doing a clean install of windows. I don’t care what AV is installed.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I am getting WMI crash sometimes. Startup scan of EIS makes that happen according to the replies in the ESET forum.
Is disabling startup scans ok? I mean other parts of EIS will protect me from malware? (also, I am tech savvy user.)
1595348597214.png

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I mean, if I switch back to the regular update, it won't roll back to version 13, right? And it would just put me again on the regular update channel, right?

Reactions: Nevi and KonradPL

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.