Battle ESET Internet Security 10 vs Emsisoft Internet Security 12

LoveGamers

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 13, 2016
I've recently switched back to Windows from having a Mac for 4 years and I'm lost as to which security products to get. I've done a lot of research and lurking on this forum and I think I've got it more or less narrowed down to these two.

I'm mainly concerned with getting the most protection without slowing my system down. If you guys could help me decide between these two or suggest a better alternative that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Both are excellent choices.
I use both on different machines.
Both offer good protection
Both are light on resources but this too depends on your system such as Hardware,other installed programs running in the background etc.
ESET Internet Security 10 is a more complete Security Suite but not all it's features are a necessity to some.
As a long time user of both I would recommend trying out both of them and see which one is the best fit for you and your machine.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Both are good products. I personally use Emsisoft Internet Security and think its one of the best. Very light when the setting for "Activate memory usage optimization" is checked. Uses its own engine as with Bitdefenders and has one of the best if not the best Behavioral Blockers in the industry.

As @Exterminator stated, give them both a try and see what you like more.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Both are brilliant products & are each in my top 5 AV products list :)

I haven't tested ESET in a while but will be testing it very shortly. Emsisoft however, I have tested recently & it is extremely good in terms of Detection, Prevention, GUI & Performance. Emsisoft has the bare minimum set of features but is overall an extremely good piece of software. ESET I'm sure is very similar but until I test it I cannot truly comment on the software.

LoveGamers

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 13, 2016
I tried ESET for a couple days, had no problems with it but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing out on something with Esmisoft.

I just installed Esmisoft, going to see if it uses anymore CPU or RAM than ESET.

Thanks for all the input everyone, judging by the poll, Esmisoft is definitely more popular.

Update: At first glance, Emsisoft appears to be using more RAM then ESET (about 30 more RAM).

Update 2: It appears that Emsisoft's RAM usage fluctuates more (anywhere from 5 mb to 350 mb) but ESET's tend to stay right at about 70 mb.

Last edited:

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Both are excellent choices.
I use both on different machines.
Both offer good protection
Both are light on resources but this too depends on your system such as Hardware,other installed programs running in the background etc.
ESET Internet Security 10 is a more complete Security Suite but not all it's features are a necessity to some.
As a long time user of both I would recommend trying out both of them and see which one is the best fit for you and your machine.

Couldn't agree more. I use ESET on my main desktop, mainly for the fantastic spam filter. (Outlook 2016)

Both are good products. I personally use Emsisoft Internet Security and think its one of the best. Very light when the setting for "Activate memory usage optimization" is checked. Uses its own engine as with Bitdefenders and has one of the best if not the best Behavioral Blockers in the industry.

As @Exterminator stated, give them both a try and see what you like more.

Good catch. Very light when checked.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Emsisoft and ESET are both products which considered as not overrated, definitely worth it to install either one of them in system.

Emsisoft = You have a good protection followed by active Behavior Blocker, no unnecessary tools or gimmicks.

ESET = Another good protection where you have HIPS for strong additional of protection.

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Emsisoft and ESET are both products which considered as not overrated, definitely worth it to install either one of them in system.

Emsisoft = You have a good protection followed by active Behavior Blocker, no unnecessary tools or gimmicks.

ESET = Another good protection where you have HIPS for strong additional of protection.

Try them both, then pick. In my opinion it's a coin flip.

Last edited:

Venhiem

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2014
I used ESET for about a year before switching. I switched because ESET's new UI is, in my opinion, horrible. In terms of memory, both are very light. Go with whichever you prefer and/or is cheaper (if you haven't already bought one or the other ofc).

Reactions: Faybert and Adz.

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
Both are very good, but Emsisoft is just a better product i feel. I have tried both and ended up choosing Emsisoft for 3+ years now and haven't had an infection. Emsisoft's behavior blocker is superior to Eset's HIPS system which asks you about pretty much everything, so it's not for the basic user. Both are light on resources. Detection rate might be a little better with Eset on newer threats but not by much since Emsisoft has BD engine and their own. Not sure if there is a delay with Emsisoft BD engine signatures and BD engine signatures within their own software. Actually that is something I would really like to find out about companies that license other AV engines (like Emsisoft, HitmanPro and Zemana) and if they get real-time updates to signatures or is there a delay and if so how much of a delay.

Reactions: spaceoctopus

Pearl96

Level 5
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Both are great especially the 10th version of Eset. It is light even you don't feel is running in the background! Emsisoft is a little bit more heavy on the system but is considered light when compared to other security suites. Another important point, Emsisoft has a stronger behaviour-based protection. Finally, in terms of price, Emsisoft is much cheaper :D

Reactions: spaceoctopus

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I've recently switched back to Windows from having a Mac for 4 years and I'm lost as to which security products to get. I've done a lot of research and lurking on this forum and I think I've got it more or less narrowed down to these two.

I'm mainly concerned with getting the most protection without slowing my system down. If you guys could help me decide between these two or suggest a better alternative that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I should use eset as you can choose between the two, because it has a lot more users and Employees
So it can detect more :) beside that Emsisofts behavior blocker is probaly a bit better.

As said above Just try the 2 for like 10 days or something then decide ;)

Edit : this post is a bit old idk of he has already choosen.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I know this topic is old enough, but it's always nice to add some arguments so newcomers can choose.

Both products have a solid protection. I find ESET way much more customizable and that's why my vote goes there. It has infinite tweaking options and even on maximum protection it cannot be felt on system impact. HIPS is great addition.

On the other hand, Emsisoft is surely a great option, with a good behaviour blocker and easy to use product. Support is very efficient and quick too.

You cannot go wrong on any of those.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.