Battle ESET Internet Security VS Norton Internet Security for better protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compare list
ESET Internet Security
Norton Security

I vote for Norton because this will be a device used by your family as opposed to just yourself.

ESET HIPS can be great when it is configured properly but that still does not make it ideal for average home consumers. When problems happen, you're going to be harassed into solving those problems because you'll be the only one in the household who will understand the HIPS rules and alerts.

Norton still has great signatures, SONAR protection, firewall support, etc.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
ESET for sure. I used Norton for a long time but i dont have faith in that company anymore.

Even if the breach is not true, why take so long to deny it ???

ESET for sure. I used Norton for a long time but i dont have faith in that company anymore.
ESET has had their source code stolen before. Recent IDA Pro licenses were stolen from them as well - the only thing people trying to use them need now is the installation password for recent versions of the IDA Pro installer.

The sale of Symantec to Broadcom was terminated over a disagreement with the price per share. Has there been a development to this since?

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well, I have not used any of them for a long time.
But now I installed Eset (thanks to a gift from a friend) on my daughter's PC and I tried it is amazing.

Norton the last time I tried it was very light. They are two great AVs you can not go wrong with those AVs.

Even if the breach is not true, why take so long to deny it ?
They have to conduct a proper internal investigation before they can confirm or deny something. Without evidence of a breach, they cannot confirm a breach. And it would be wrong to deny a breach if they haven't yet conducted an investigation to determine that there's no indicators they had been breached.

These investigations can take days, weeks or longer. It depends on what the alleged breach is and how skillful the attackers were. There have been breaches that have been discovered by a company years after by running into things that were unexpected or anonymous tips.

I respect that you do not like Norton anymore, that's fine. I had a period where I really didn't like them. It was pretty much the entirety of the old days when they were causing more harm than good, had ridiculous amounts of FP detection's and were much buggier. I personally do not like the Norton product line-up that much but I am a fan of the Symantec Endpoint Protection/Cloud products - which you can trial if they will let you and take a look at, it's roughly the same price as a cup of coffee in some places per month for one device.

I should probably drop here that even Microsoft of all people suffered from a major breach awhile ago by an ex-employee of Malwarebytes who managed to hack into their servers and access the source code and other secrets of pretty much anything he wanted to access - it went undiscovered for several months, at-least. The ex-employee shared access with other hackers on chats as well. In the end, the ex-employee was caught and arrested and put on bail - whilst he was on bail, he hacked into Nintendo's servers. Thousands of searches were committed between the ex-Malwarebytes employee and the fellow hackers he was sharing access with to the Microsoft servers.

The ex-employee was finally caught by Microsoft when he uploaded malware to their servers and it was caught. This brought attention to Microsoft that someone has been misbehaving and resulted in him being caught as well as the fellow hackers he was sharing access with.

Reference: Security researcher pleads guilty to hacking into Microsoft and Nintendo

Microsoft have been breached numerous other times. Wasn't there a fiasco about Outlook breach recently? Either way, two men were arrested a just over a year ago if I remember correctly for stealing from Microsoft servers, I believe it was the Windows 10 source code.

Windows NT 4 kernel source code was leaked in the early 2000s and today it is hosted on GitHub. Windows Research Kernel which is given access to Universities to help students learn about OS development and corporations for debugging purposes/general research was leaked by someone many years ago and is also hosted on GitHub now. Microsoft stopped bothering to fight the leaks because they know they cannot do anything about it anymore, it spread too much over the last decade.

There are breaches all around you and I suspect you still use Microsoft Windows even after all of Microsoft's breaches. I'm not trying to push the opinion that you should "like Norton" but just provide some insight to the fact that Norton aren't the only ones who have been hit with a breach and more companies you rely on have been affected twice as bad as Norton.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Funny enough I can get Norton for free from my ISP. I’ve never used it. Mostly because I still thought it was a slow mess (from experience years ago). Currently I’m running ESET IS on my personal machine. I got the license for a big discount on Newegg. I may give Norton a try since it’s free. I wonder how hard it is to uninstall Norton these days. ESET uninstalled cleanly last time with their uninstaller cleaning up the leftovers.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

ESET is good.

Norton is all-around better. Better detection, a smoother product. Look at the Norton forums... it's like a ghost town. Only a few posts per day. And that's because the product is well engineered.

The breach was a big nothing-burger. I've already posted elsewhere... there was no breach. No data stolen. Norton's handling of it was not great though.

Where I do totally agree with L0ckJaw.... the possible sale to Broadcom or others puts the future in doubt for Symantec. When corporations are purchased in the US, that often is a bad thing for the business interest. Often following the purchase, there are salary/benefit cuts, layoffs and other cost cutting measures that will get a short-term bump in the stock price. But of course the core business mission suffers.

Symantec is in a mode where they seem to want to be purchased (senior management and big shareholders get a windfall) -- thus I'd advise caution with Symantec.

So although I think Norton is better, at this point, if you like to stick with one product long term, I'd advise ESET.

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
ESET is good.

Norton is all-around better. Better detection, a smoother product. Look at the Norton forums... it's like a ghost town. Only a few posts per day. And that's because the product is well engineered.

The breach was a big nothing-burger. I've already posted elsewhere... there was no breach. No data stolen. Norton's handling of it was not great though.

Where I do totally agree with L0ckJaw.... the possible sale to Broadcom or others puts the future in doubt for Symantec. When corporations are purchased in the US, that often is a bad thing for the business interest. Often following the purchase, there are salary/benefit cuts, layoffs and other cost cutting measures that will get a short-term bump in the stock price. But of course the core business mission suffers.

Symantec is in a mode where they seem to want to be purchased (senior management and big shareholders get a windfall) -- thus I'd advise caution with Symantec.

So although I think Norton is better, at this point, if you like to stick with one product long term, I'd advise ESET.
I agree with you. Burrito is a perfect and safe solution for Norton as it is very light on the computer and have global labs

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018

Norton is one of the best av on the market, have excelent signature, and one of the best behaviour bloquer, Eset have good signatures, but very poor response versus zero day malware.
look this review, in this test Eset fail to protect. Is not the firts time to Eset failed. this is why im not use Eset.

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
Funny enough I can get Norton for free from my ISP. I’ve never used it. Mostly because I still thought it was a slow mess (from experience years ago). Currently I’m running ESET IS on my personal machine. I got the license for a big discount on Newegg. I may give Norton a try since it’s free. I wonder how hard it is to uninstall Norton these days. ESET uninstalled cleanly last time with their uninstaller cleaning up the leftovers.
Is easy to unistall Norton with Norton Unistaller, is very light and powerfull protection, is one of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.