Battle ESET NOD32, Emsisoft Anti-malware, Kaspersky AV , or Malwarebytes

dbzx

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 19, 2017
Hi,

I am looking to purchase an antivirus license for my new laptop. Looking for some opinions in terms of ease of use and overall protection from these softwares: ESET Nod32, Kaspersky, Emsisoft Anti-malware

I am thinking of using on of the above antivirus by itself or in conjunction with malwarebytes. Please let me know your opinions.

D

Deleted member 65228

I'd use either from #3 - #6.

ESET NOD32, Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Kaspersky Anti-Virus are all great, robust products; all three of them will offer good protection. If you combine it with Malwarebytes, the protection will be quite nice - I'd use Malwarebytes on-demand instead of in real-time alongside them though. Malwarebytes are trying to be an AV replacement now, and it is unrecommended to use multiple Anti-Virus/Internet Security products in combination.

I'd say that ESET tends to provide a lighter feeling compared to Emsisoft or Kaspersky, however ESET lacks in some areas that Emsisoft/Kaspersky don't, and vice-versa. Kaspersky have Application Control for their Internet Security only, while Emsisoft have their Behavior Blocker fully available in their Anti-Malware version... Plus good privacy. For this reason, I'd personally go with ESET NOD32 or Emsisoft, unless you were considering the Internet Security version of Kaspersky over the Anti-Virus.

All three products you mentioned alongside Malwarebytes are available for free for 30 days via a trial. You could test one out, or all three at separate times, before deciding to purchase one or not.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Emsisoft:
pros: Great BB / Good Detection / Good web blocking / Nice support/ Great on privacy
cons: little buggy / heavy update / poor feature / Fps (BD Engine)
Eset:
pros: Great Detection / Good web Blocking / light / Nice feature
cons: Poor BB
Kaspersky:
pros: Great BB / Great Detection / Good web blocking / Nice feature
cons: little buggy / some concern about privacy....
So U can choose which one is better BUT Eset is very far from Emsisoft and Kaspersky, BUT choosing between Emsisoft & Kaspersky is a litlle hard BUT if you ask me I said Kaspersky is better because Kaspersky is Trusted by more than 400 Milion users and over 270k companies....;) Kaspersky is a big "Cyber Security Company" and Emsisoft is just a team :D

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well, it's hard to advise, but good. Kaspersky if it is well configured and it is difficult to catch you. (I speak of kis)
Cons is a bit heavy on certain machines. with few resources
Emsisoft: I'm using it, it's a light on my PC. I'm not sorry, and it offers great protection.
the best would be to try it by yourself.:)

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

I Object to choice Kaspersky. Kaspersky is spy and heavy antivirus with lags and interruptions work our PC. I recommend Emsisoft, because Emsisoft is always THE BEST antivirus EVER! Why? Because Emsisoft is really light, no interruptions in time scanning PC or updating signatures and his protection is powerfull againts new and unknown threats.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky and Emsisoft -> get the one you can get for CHEAPER price

with proper tweaks, kaspersky is harder to bypass and can be quite light (after performance tweaks) similarly to emsisoft
I found emsisoft is OK if I didn't touch it but when I did, it was quite buggy

Kaspersky internet security is quite heavy especially during installation or opening of completely new applications. KAV doesn't have application control, that's why it's much lighter than KIS in these situations

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Kaspersky is more for advanced users can be configured in several ways. That is an advantage that Kaspersky has
Emsisoft is poor in advanced configurations, but it brings a good configuration. They are two good AV.
(Excuse me, but I try to be impartial if you talk to your heart loses your reason)

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Hi,

I am looking to purchase an antivirus license for my new laptop. Looking for some opinions in terms of ease of use and overall protection from these softwares: ESET Nod32, Kaspersky, Emsisoft Anti-malware

I am thinking of using on of the above antivirus by itself or in conjunction with malwarebytes. Please let me know your opinions.

I light the main point & pinpoint only one: Emsisoft AM. Just install and forget. No need to to tweak. Very ease of use.

D

Deleted member 178

Hi,

In case you choose us, Emsisoft, we have an active Holiday Deal :

Emsisoft | Buy Anti-Malware Software For Your Home

D

Deleted member 178

Emsisoft:
Can you detail "poor features" and "buggy" ? so we can know what are the reasons/causes for you (so we can improve EAM)?

By "poor features", if you meant we don't have many features/modules, it is a choice we made, we don't sell bloat ;)

Thank you for the feedbacks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
The one that runs best on your computer with minimal issues. They are all excellent AVs and they all are great at what AVs do: Catching low hanging fruit. 99.0 vs 99.5% detection rate... who cares. They are all great. Focus on what works best with all of your other programs because nothing is more annoying than conflicts between your favorite apps and your AV.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Emsisoft:
pros: Great BB / Good Detection / Good web blocking / Nice support/ Great on privacy
Eset:
pros: Great Detection / Good web Blocking / light / Nice feature
cons: Poor BB
Kaspersky:
pros: Great BB / Great Detection / Good web blocking / Nice feature
cons: little buggy / some concern about privacy....
So U can choose which one is better BUT Eset is very far from Emsisoft and Kaspersky, BUT choosing between Emsisoft & Kaspersky is a litlle hard BUT if you ask me I said Kaspersky is better because Kaspersky is Trusted by more than 400 Milion users and over 270k companies....;) Kaspersky is a big "Cyber Security Company" and Emsisoft is just a team :D

So trusted over 4mil users and over 270k companies means their support is strong and good? I doubt so. Look at Microsoft as an example and you know what I meant. IMHO, smaller companies tend to provide a much faster relay and better support. Small but effective.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Never tried Kaspersky but I was a NOD32 user for many years before it just stopped working on my wife's machine and I moved on to try other brands. Years later and I finally switched to Emsisoft (with the Black Friday sale, thanks Umbra!) where I plan to stay unless they drop the ball. It works quietly and competently in the background, doesn't cause any startup issues and the overhead seems minimal. Your mileage may vary, but Emsisoft is a keeper for me. I even switched Malwarebytes lifetime to on-demand and rarely run it or Zemana to check and see that Emsi is still happily keeping me free from threats.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Can you detail "poor features" and "buggy" ? so we can know what are the reasons/causes for you (so we can improve EAM)?

By "poor features", if you meant we don't have many features/modules, it is a choice we made, we don't sell bloat ;)

Thank you for the feedbacks :)
Hi
in comparison between Emsisoft and Kaspersky , Kaspersky has more feautre that Emsisoft do't has, same as Secure Conection,Trusted application control ....
for buggy , I directly say (for me) the GUI is a little buggy, some time "the close button" not work well...
"it is a choice we made, we don't sell bloat" nice one , I hope that Emsisoft (same as another famous company) add VPN technology :)
I have a suggestion, why Emsisoft not to try to remove BD Engine and work in it own engine?(BD engine is heavy and also have many FPs...)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
So trusted over 4mil users and over 270k companies means their support is strong and good? I doubt so. Look at Microsoft as an example and you know what I meant. IMHO, smaller companies tend to provide a much faster relay and better support. Small but effective.
Hi
I do't mean they have 4mil users and 270k companies mean that they have good support...,I mean that if their software quality is not good they do't be famous and...:giggle:
not at all,none of all of small companies are good,in this case yes emsisoft have good support but in another situation no!
sample: smaller companies have fewer workers,fewer money,and also fewer ideas...
Big companies have more workers and more money and also more ideas,they can "Recruitment" more engineers and also more IT experts!
Emsisoft just have 1 Umbra but in Kaspersky may be over 2k Umbra work on it:D
bigger companies have wide range choice and can access to more Hi-tech (same as IoT) and.....
I do't mean that smaller companies are worst,but in one word bigger companies have more chance to improve and grow their technology faster....

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.