Battle ESET NOD32, Emsisoft Anti-malware, Kaspersky AV , or Malwarebytes

dbzx

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 19, 2017
Hi,

I am looking to purchase an antivirus license for my new laptop. Looking for some opinions in terms of ease of use and overall protection from these softwares: ESET Nod32, Kaspersky, Emsisoft Anti-malware

I am thinking of using on of the above antivirus by itself or in conjunction with malwarebytes. Please let me know your opinions.

D

Deleted member 178

Hi
in comparison between Emsisoft and Kaspersky , Kaspersky has more feautre that Emsisoft do't has, same as Secure Conection,Trusted application control ....
Ok i see , so it was more the "lack" of them rather than the efficiency of EAM.

"it is a choice we made, we don't sell bloat" nice one , I hope that Emsisoft (same as another famous company) add VPN technology :)
i will say we implement what we do best and consider what is really useful for the "classic users", we want to be the best in our domain rather than average in everywhere.

for buggy , I directly say (for me) the GUI is a little buggy, some time "the close button" not work well...
Maybe you can try the latest version, we fixed several minor bugs.

I have a suggestion, why Emsisoft not to try to remove BD Engine and work in it own engine?(BD engine is heavy and also have many FPs...)
Using BD is better than the one we used before (Ikarus), extremely potent detection but huge on FPs...BD engine proved to improve on FPs, in the latest AV-Comparative tests, we had zero FPs.
Note that at the moment using BD engine is what works best for us.
I will take your suggestion into account and transmit it :)

D

Deleted member 178

Hi
sample: smaller companies have fewer workers,fewer money,and also fewer ideas...
Big companies have more workers and more money and also more ideas,they can "Recruitment" more engineers and also more IT experts!
I agree except about the "few ideas", we have many but they are costly to develop. :p

Emsisoft just have 1 Umbra but in Kaspersky may be over 2k Umbra work on it:D
Hahaha, we have many people way better and skilled than me, but thank you for the compliment ;)

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Hi
in comparison between Emsisoft and Kaspersky , Kaspersky has more feautre that Emsisoft do't has, same as Secure Conection,Trusted application control ....
for buggy , I directly say (for me) the GUI is a little buggy, some time "the close button" not work well...
"it is a choice we made, we don't sell bloat" nice one , I hope that Emsisoft (same as another famous company) add VPN technology :)
I have a suggestion, why Emsisoft not to try to remove BD Engine and work in it own engine?(BD engine is heavy and also have many FPs...)
Maybe use Avira or Kaspersky might be better as a engine?

Reactions: Faybert and omidomi

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
all three programs are good personally I would have a problem with choice.
I am currently using Eset NOD32 and I am very happy with it, it is light and has good detection without any problems.
Emsisoft is also a great program, I used it for some and I did not have any problems with it, good detection
also light for the system.
Kasperski is a bit heavy for me and I had to give it up, but that does not mean that someone would not use it.
I would also choose one of these two.
but the choice is yours and choose the one that best suits your equipment.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Ok i see , so it was more the "lack" of them rather than the efficiency of EAM.

i will say we implement what we do best and consider what is really useful for the "classic users", we want to be the best in our domain rather than average in everywhere.

Maybe you can try the latest version, we fixed several minor bugs.

Using BD is better than the one we used before (Ikarus), extremely potent detection but huge on FPs...BD engine proved to improve on FPs, in the latest AV-Comparative tests, we had zero FPs.
Note that at the moment using BD engine is what works best for us.
I will take your suggestion into account and transmit it :)
Due to @Andrew999 idea I 100% agree -->
Maybe use Avira or Kaspersky might be better as a engine?
Yes, why not Avira or Kaspersky?!
both of them show that they have less Fps in over many years.
em @Umbra I have a question, why BD engine is more popular for Av companies? dose it depend on their situation? or price? or ...etc?
I agree except about the "few ideas", we have many but they are costly to develop. :p

Hahaha, we have many people way better and skilled than me, but thank you for the compliment ;)

its logic I think more brain create more ideas(?),(may be my fault?).
You are one of those brains :whistle::D

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Due to @Andrew999 idea I 100% agree -->

Yes, why not Avira or Kaspersky?!
both of them show that they have less Fps in over many years.
em @Umbra I have a question, why BD engine is more popular for Av companies? dose it depend on their situation? or price? or ...etc?

its logic I think more brain create more ideas(?),(may be my fault?).
You are one of those brains :whistle::D
Zone Alarm uses Kaspersky Signatures, I am not sure if though it is as up to date as the normal Kaspersky products though.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
You'll be protected with Kaspersky, Eset or EMSISoft. I recommend you take advantage of the 30 days trials they all offer so that you can decide which UI you're more comfortable with and can check for yourself how each of them behave in your system. Just keep in mind that no solution will offer you 100% protection and that there is malware out there that can bypass any of the mentioned products. Learning safe internet habits is your best protection.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
My vote: Emsisoft!

It always amazes me how Emsisoft manages to handle BD engine alongside its own engine, knowing that hourly updates mean overlapping of signatures from the two engines – yet the not so many number of employees that they have – across continents who meet virtually manage to refine the engines and make it into a stable product with an awesome behavior blocker. Wow! It blows me away!

Also, this product is the best one that utilizes the super-used BD Engine. Light too, I could assure because I am using a single-core 1.66Ghz CPU!

2nd Vote: Kaspersky.

Very good protection, especially the IS version. Heavier than Emsisoft though.

Lastly: ESET.

Very light and fast, and good protection.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I would go with Emsisoft.
After all the AV’s I have been trying, Emsisoft seems to do the work what it promises. This is the reason I have to partner with them. My customers are happy than before and they like it’s simplicity and performance which makes the systems very responsive.

I have a PC running KIS which still gives me hiccups when it comes to responsiveness. Protection wise it is solid but still too heavy to handle its own tasks.

Try which suits your system well and u will know very soon to settle with what program.

T

TrinitronMSDOS

I would choose Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Eset Internet Security. These 2 security softs are the lightest and most efficient I've tried. But that choice is also because they are ma favorite AVs so i might be biased (i mean, aren't we all ? :unsure:).

Malwarebytes Premium is a good addition if you surf dangerously or really want to reinforce your protection, but it tends to be heavy on some systems.

My advice ? Try these softwares for yourself. They all have a 30 days trial except for Malwarebytes that have only 14 days. Install Malwarebytes first (with the real time protection from the trial) and compare how your PC performs with each AV, with and without the real time protection of Malwarebytes.

In the end you should know which AV works best for you and if they work well alongside Malwarebytes. If your PC is really light with MB and you have the extra cash, it's a good addition. But if you encounter some slowdowns or are on a budget, just an AV is enough. The free version is must though, as it can be used as a second opinion scanner.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Another solid choice is Norton/Symantec- I have never seen it test badly in any labs tests. Kaspersky is similar. I would base my choice on test results over at least a year or two year period, not just what happens to be the best at any particular point in time. Those are the only two AV companies that really cut it in my opinion. I look at AV-Test, Av-Comparatives and SE Labs.

Reactions: TrinitronMSDOS
D

Deleted member 178

Thx for all the response guys! I am leaning towards Emsisoft right now but I read that it's phishing protection isnt that good. KIS would be my next selection once I made my final decision.
If you believe you will cross more phishing sites than normal, you can tweak the Surf Protection by adding your own list ;)
if not, the protection is good enough for normal users.

Not that tests purposely go to malicious sites, this is not a normal behavior from normal users.

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thx for all the response guys! I am leaning towards Emsisoft right now but I read that it's phishing protection isnt that good. KIS would be my next selection once I made my final decision.

I wouldn't worry too much about phishing if i where you. Just add AdGuard or uBlock Origin with some good malware filters and you're good to go. I use AdGuard (desktop version) and it has blocked many suspicious websites. Emsisoft have a sale this Christmas (up to 40% off) and AdGuard as well (30% off). TBH i think a lot of companies are having sales this Christmas (i just bought Wise Care 365 and Revo Uninstaller with a nice discount).

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Another solid choice is Norton/Symantec- I have never seen it test badly in any labs tests. Kaspersky is similar. I would base my choice on test results over at least a year or two year period, not just what happens to be the best at any particular point in time. Those are the only two AV companies that really cut it in my opinion. I look at AV-Test, Av-Comparatives and SE Labs.

Bitdefender, Trend Micro and F-Secure are usually rock solid most of the time. Anyway i'm not a big fan of these tests as they usually shows different results than what users will experience.

Reactions: bribon77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.