Advice Request ESET Upgrade Product Snafu

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'm running current version of NOD32 15.2.17.0 on win10. I decided I wanted to upgrade to Premium. To me it makes sense to upgrade from my current installation (if possible), and I read (or misread) the Knowledgebase to say: upgrade product, open eset, go to help & support, which opens to my license page, and click "change product." Thinking great, eset makes it easy! I assumed I'd get a popup asking me what product I wanted to change it to, and the software would handle it automagically, just like how eset sucks money from me to auto-renew my license. So when I click "change product" it only gives me the option to change it to NOD32. WTF that's the same product! Neither "upgrade" nor a "change." Some problem perhaps with translation of Slovakian to English? I was asking how to "upgrade" product, and if cannot be done thru the app itself, well ok, just tell me that, eg, that I needed to uninstall NOD32 and do a fresh install of Premium, ok, but that is a new purchase, not an upgrade of NOD32 to more expensive Premium. And sure, I was expecting to have to pay for the Premium version in any event, but was led to think that the best way to handle that was thru the current NOD32 installation, but that is not the case. I feel like eset mislead me on how to do this, and right now I'm so pissed for wasting my time, I may just uninstall NOD32 and use another antivirus. Actually, I was considering Premium to get LiveGuard, which begs the question, why don't they just offer it (I've skimmed that comment here already from others). Not like eset is a free product. But unlikely I'll uninstall NOD32 as my license is current for several months, but I will not forget this "upgrade" snafu, and that LiveGuard is not offered on all paid versions. Good chance I will not be renewing my license.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'm not sure how it is for your locations, but from mine we can't upgrade. We have to buy a new license for the new product and then install the new product while the old license will sit there until it expires.
ok makes sense but that's not what I got from their Knowledgebase or from the NOD32 help and support screen.

Reactions: Dave Russo

czesetfan

Level 3
Dec 3, 2021
My understanding is that you need to purchase a higher license, such as ESS Premium. When this changes in your ESET Home account, you will have the option "ESS Premium" in the "Change Product" menu. Click select and the product will download the necessary components and upgrade.
In fact, if you have purchased "Premium", you can also install any lower version.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I have a licence for EIS and did in product downgrade to EAV and upgrade back to EIS many times with no problems. You don't even have to restart OS.
If I were you I would contact your seller and try to get a deal to upgrade from EAV to ESS. After that you can change your license and upgrade product to ESS.

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
My understanding is that you need to purchase a higher license, such as ESS Premium. When this changes in your ESET Home account, you will have the option "ESS Premium" in the "Change Product" menu. Click select and the product will download the necessary components and upgrade.
In fact, if you have purchased "Premium", you can also install any lower version.
ok, that is making sense to me, upgrade the license first then it will (or may) work the way I understood from their knowledgebase. Thanks!!

Reactions: Dave Russo

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have a licence for EIS and did in product downgrade to EAV and upgrade back to EIS many times with no problems. You don't even have to restart OS.
If I were you I would contact your seller and try to get a deal to upgrade from EAV to ESS. After that you can change your license and upgrade product to ESS.
Perfect, yes, I better understand the process now. Thanks!!

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Good news for the eset fans. The upgrade to Premium was as easy & fast as I hoped it might be, I just had to pay first, and eset chat told me to call sales, and the upgrade was prorated based on my NOD32 license, ie, small amount to pay for the upgrade, and very quickly it all worked as expected, download & install was super fast and did not even require a reboot, it just needed to close the app and reopen. So I'm happy! I may have to do some tweaking, but hey, that's why I'm on MT. :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.