New Update ESET v17.0

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
It looks like there is a problem with the "Secure search" add-on for Firefox.
Ver. 17.0.3 Secure Search Issue
So far, my experience with EIS v16 and now v17 using Firefox:
  • Secure all Browsers sometimes, randomly, may scramble keyboard input in the browser (fixable by disabling Secure all Browsers);
  • Rarely, randomly, a handful of sites don't fully load images and css (most sites work perfectly; affected sites can be fixed by adding SSL scan exceptions);
  • Secure Search not fully working with Firefox.
None of these issues manifest if:
  • Use any Chromium-based browser (Chrome, Brave, Edge);
  • Remove EIS and use Defender or Kaspersky (K has issues of its own, like globally slow page loading).
I also had some issues some time ago when Thunderbird upgraded from v102 to v115, where I had to reset EIS's SSL certificates for it to work (I got certificate errors and was unable to access any of my IMAP accounts). Never had this issue with eM Client.

These problems manifest consistently on different computers with a mix of Windows 10 and Windows 11, and even different networks. The only common elements are EIS and Firefox.

I'm starting to wonder if Firefox is to blame for these issues? Most issues I've been reading on Eset forums since a couple of years back seem to affect Firefox but not chromium. Or, perhaps, Eset is not fully testing on Firefox since its userbase is so low these days. The amount of Firefox users that also use Eset software may be insignificant so that they don't get enough feedback from testers to address issues before software/module updates.

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
New Eset plans revealed on the international site:

1700053220921.png

According to the documentation for existing customers, this is
  • NOD32 -> ? (not certain if this will still be offered)
  • Internet Security -> Home Essential
  • Smart Security Premium -> Home Premium
There's the new product tier Home Ultimate that offers the VPN and some extra browser features.

According to the documentation, to use the new products you need to upgrade or renew your license. Existing users will remain on the current product line until their licenses expire. There doesn't appear to be a planned automatic migration plan for existing users.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

micasayyo

Level 3
Jan 31, 2022
There are times that I don't understand. Is it assumed that when they release a final version they have done a lot of beta testing? In addition, the developers have also had to do a lot of testing.
So I don't know why these things happen not only in Eset, it also happened with Kasperky with the context menu of version 21.15

Reactions: Jonny Quest

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
There are times that I don't understand. Is it assumed that when they release a final version they have done a lot of beta testing? In addition, the developers have also had to do a lot of testing.
So I don't know why these things happen not only in Eset, it also happened with Kasperky with the context menu of version 21.15
Because it's impossible to test any software in all possible hardware/software combinations. The fact things like Windows/Linux/Android work so well in completely different hardware/software combinations is a small miracle in itself.

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
ESET introduced new "roadmaps", product lines. The setup and presentation make it clear that they raise the price level.

The cheapest (and for many interested people the most popular for its simplicity and "directness") product NOD32 Antivirus (itself a cult) is not even visible on the main web page. Those who want it must explicitly look for it. Yes, it is available for now, but its future is probably questionable after this step. If they make it invisible, after a while they can say that they will end its life due to minimal customer interest.

--------------------------------------- - Ultimate
Smart Security Premium - Premium
Internet Security - Essential
NOD32 Antivirus - NOD32 Antivirus

Whereas until now the "middle", most frequently chosen alternative was "Internet Security", now the "middle" offering is "Security Premium". Which in itself, even with the price maintained, means an increase in the price level globally. Of course features are being added, but this is a double-edged weapon. Most users would welcome improvements in detection and protection rather than new features they don't even need. For example, the "Password Manager" that everyone has from the "Premium" level onwards, which many users bought more for the "LiveGuard" functionality for example.

We'll see if this is the way to go.

Spartan

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2019
So far, my experience with EIS v16 and now v17 using Firefox:
  • Secure all Browsers sometimes, randomly, may scramble keyboard input in the browser (fixable by disabling Secure all Browsers);
  • Rarely, randomly, a handful of sites don't fully load images and css (most sites work perfectly; affected sites can be fixed by adding SSL scan exceptions);
  • Secure Search not fully working with Firefox.
None of these issues manifest if:
  • Use any Chromium-based browser (Chrome, Brave, Edge);
  • Remove EIS and use Defender or Kaspersky (K has issues of its own, like globally slow page loading).
I also had some issues some time ago when Thunderbird upgraded from v102 to v115, where I had to reset EIS's SSL certificates for it to work (I got certificate errors and was unable to access any of my IMAP accounts). Never had this issue with eM Client.

These problems manifest consistently on different computers with a mix of Windows 10 and Windows 11, and even different networks. The only common elements are EIS and Firefox.

I'm starting to wonder if Firefox is to blame for these issues? Most issues I've been reading on Eset forums since a couple of years back seem to affect Firefox but not chromium. Or, perhaps, Eset is not fully testing on Firefox since its userbase is so low these days. The amount of Firefox users that also use Eset software may be insignificant so that they don't get enough feedback from testers to address issues before software/module updates.
This is exactly why I never go for the higher suites, in any product, the AV only for me = NOD32. 0 issues

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
Similarly, in the 16.2 release they had a problem with the firewall, which I don't know if it's been resolved yet.

Otherwise, for the ESET Beta program, an interested party has to sign up and a moderator has to approve it. PreRelease is downloadable on fore par days before release, with only a few dozen downloads. And even that was enough to warn about the bugs in 17.0.
The Beta used to be available for a few weeks, if I'm not mistaken. :unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.