New Update ESET v17.0

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
What do you say to the test? ESET NOD32 Antivirus Review
well, I think ESET NOD32 is better than PCMag Neil suggests, just my 2 cents. I am running it with Cyberlock 7.69 just because I've been using VS/CL for 10+ years. (I've read here somewhere that @Shadowra likes this combo). I think this combo is strong while also being very light.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I find it odd that they would review NOD32 instead of ESET Internet Security, especially when their comparison chart lists security suites that offer more advanced features.
but I"m happy they did review NOD32. fwiw a few months back I ran ESET SS Premium and it corrupted the system firewall. ESET support on this issue was all over the place, bad, but I like NOD32.

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Hi does anyone have Eset internet security? If so is it possible to see ram usage with the firewall running compared to the non firewall version ?Thanks
Mine, EIS, with 5 services running including firewall and online payment protection.... 98mb. Light as a feather with a very crowded PC. Wife's desktop, around 60mb. ✌️

presntes

Level 1
Apr 23, 2022

ESET is just releasing an updated 17.1.x product line: Download Internet Security with data encryption and antivirus | ESET

Version 17.1.9.0​

• Updated: Safe Banking & Browsing change
    - Added: Allowlist for files not loaded during browser start up
    - Added: Option to disable also yellow frames / badges in secured browser
  • Updated: Network Inspector -small changes
  • Updated: Documents moved under LiveGuard and enabled by default
  • New: Multithread scanning
  • Other changes and improvements

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
  • Updated: Network Inspector - small changes
  • New: Multithread scanning
The Network Inspector change is, in fact, the removal of Radar View.

Regarding the Multithread scanning, this feature is poorly implemented. Running the Initial Scan upon a fresh install now renders my computer nearly unresponsive until the scanning ends. As it is, the scanner is too aggressive and opens up way too many file handlers, maxing out any of my SSDs and making it impossible to launch applications, browse web pages... pretty much anything. Scanning HDDs is also faster, but forget about using said drives while the scan is in progress since it caps out any disk resources while the scan is running. While the scanning speed is much, much faster than before, borking the entire system while it doing so is not an acceptable tradeoff.

Another change is the HTTP/3 (QUIC) scanner, and it's not without its own set of issues (affects EIS/EAV/ESSP) [1][2][3][4][5]. Disabling it is the recommended workround, and I ran into some issues with it as well with pages breakings and general slowness while browsing.

Another issue I have noticed is that I have two network cards in my system with two ISPs. I set my primary network interface by configuring the interface metric on Windows. I've been running this setup trouble-free for years, and since EIS version 17.1.9 the primary interface keeps jumping between both NICs, breaking my configuration. No idea why this happened, but not only it affects my work environment, but it also renders some software unusable. A trace program like WinMTR is no longer able to distinguish on which network it is running, thus it can no longer report the host names along a trace path. VPN software I use for work is also unable to properly connect through the correct network.

Another problem is with wake on lan software, like WakeMeOnLan, which can no longer send the magic packet to the LAN, so I can no longer wake up my local computers.

All in all, I'm now moving all my systems away from Eset and back to Kaspersky. The amount of issues with each release has reached the breaking point for me, and this has been going on for over an year. Half-baked, poorly tested updates that break more than they fix/improve each time. Issues that are found on day one after any update, yet nobody at Eset seems to notice it.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Yes, the new scanning mechanism load the system a lot, but on the other hand it is a couple of times faster. Another question is, why run a scan when Eset checks all files created, downloaded, opened and executed in the background? And if you want to check your entire PC once every couple of months (why?), you can just wait while Eset is scanning at a rapid speed. :)
изображение_2024-04-06_173354486.png

The scan took literally 1.5-2 minutes.

изображение_2024-04-06_173747129.png

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
Another question is, why run a scan when Eset checks all files created, downloaded, opened and executed in the background?
I don't perform scans periodically, as I know Eset monitors all I/O operations.

The issue is that it's yet another untested "upgrade" that could've been easily improved/fixed in the betas before the public release. The firewall revamp last year literally took away features that were gradually added back after months of complaints.

1712439708965.png

And on a system with a lot (over 4 million) files to scan, this can bring the whole system down to an unusable state for well over an hour, even with the current speed improvements. On my home server with a few TBs worth of data, we are looking at hours of downtime only so Eset can run its scan at max speed, whereas in previous versions it quietly ran in the background without affecting usability, albeit taking a little while longer to complete.

Reactions: likeastar20

likeastar20

Level 8
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
I don't perform scans periodically, as I know Eset monitors all I/O operations.

The issue is that it's yet another untested "upgrade" that could've been easily improved/fixed in the betas before the public release. The firewall revamp last year literally took away features that were gradually added back after months of complaints.

View attachment 282618
And on a system with a lot (over 4 million) files to scan, this can bring the whole system down to an unusable state for well over an hour, even with the current speed improvements. On my home server with a few TBs worth of data, we are looking at hours of downtime only so Eset can run its scan at max speed, whereas in previous versions it quietly ran in the background without affecting usability, albeit taking a little while longer to complete.
Seems like the problem is for people with a lot of files. I dont have that many, the scan is blazing fast, no slowdown, great caching.

Reactions: Nevi and micasayyo

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.