New Update ESET v17.0

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

HIPS is useless if you don't know how to write rules and which rules are needed. I hope this major upgrade includes preinstalled rules so the average user can make use of it.
Until you learn what and how things are effected learning mode is where you start and then on to interactive or smart mode. If unsure of installation issues with hips and how to adjust, throw it back into learning mode during installation. Rule creation will come with time as you learn. There are manuals on all products if one digs.

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
HIPS is useless if you don't know how to write rules and which rules are needed. I hope this major upgrade includes preinstalled rules so the average user can make use of it.
Yes, I also hope they will introduce predefined rules, or the ability to set "protection levels", where the selected option sets less or more thorough protection rules.

Without custom rules, the HIPS module is of little use.
@simmerskool could you check if browser protection is working on your nod32 installation? A report here says that it's missing since upgrading to version 17.
Yes, this is confirmed by Marcos. A reinstallation of ESET v17 is required for it to work correctly.
"Browser Protection" Setting Missing from 17.0.15.0

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Also, while we are at it, there are reports of a memory leak with version 17: Ekrn.exe memory leak in ver. 17
I checked and noticed similar behavior on my machine, with ekrn.exe using around 200MB of memory after a few hours running.
my NOD32 ekrm.exe is using 47mb, don't know what it was a few hours ago, but I can check it again in another few hours...

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Without custom rules, the HIPS module is of little use.
The Hips module has features associated with it such as self-defense, protected services, advanced memory scanner, exploit blocker, ransomware shield, and deep behavioral inspection.

The whole module monitors running processes for malicious and unwanted activity.

I understand policy based mode is desired to lock a system down so tight it squeaks for help to breath, but at what point does anything but that become useless.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@simmerskool could you check if browser protection is working on your nod32 installation? A report here says that it's missing since upgrading to version 17.
advanced settings | web access protection are all checked default green enabled -- but eg Edge does not have an ESET extension, but I'm not aware that it should or does have one...

EDIT update I just read about "browser protection" failure and need to reinstall Live, so I guess I'll reinstall and see what happens, good news I have only one pc to do...

I am now joining the chorus of folks at ESET forum who are upset about having to reinstall NOD32 v17.0.15.0 -- apparently I am clueless about how to uninstall / reinstall NOD32. After uninstall, I went to ESET, logged into my account and ESET says I have 1 license, and the device is protected. Huh? How is this computer protected by ESET if ESET is uninstalled. I fumbled around for 15 minutes, did this, did that, and I cannot get NOD32 to download & reinstall. I assume some user error here, but why should this be complicated, and this complication was created by ESET not by me. After saying that I've been liking NOD32 (with VS/CL on the side) I can easily just walk away. I am probably within the timeframe where I can request a refund. This is the second major annoyance I've had with ESET this year. But would appreciate advice / steps to get NOD32 v17 reinstalled, it was originally updated over 16.

EDIT update I chatted with eset tech HenryC, who was able to get nod32 17.0.15.0 (re)installed and hopefully linked to my license & home account, that's what I'm checking next... along with settings re "browser protection"

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I am now joining the chorus of folks at ESET forum who are upset about having to reinstall NOD32 v17.0.15.0 -- apparently I am clueless about how to uninstall / reinstall NOD32. After uninstall, I went to ESET, logged into my account and ESET says I have 1 license, and the device is protected. Huh? How is this computer protected by ESET if ESET is uninstalled. I fumbled around for 15 minutes, did this, did that, and I cannot get NOD32 to download & reinstall. I assume some user error here, but why should this be complicated, and this complication was created by ESET not by me. After saying that I've been liking NOD32 (with VS/CL on the side) I can easily just walk away. I am probably within the timeframe where I can request a refund. This is the second major annoyance I've had with ESET this year. But would appreciate advice / steps to get NOD32 v17 reinstalled, it was originally updated over 16.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
Have you had any experience with v.17 ? :unsure:

Have the difficulties mentioned above (and on the ESET forums) occurred or bypassed you ?

Reactions: Nevi

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Have you had any experience with v.17 ? :unsure:

Have the difficulties mentioned above (and on the ESET forums) occurred or bypassed you ?
no offense, but your post is no. 116 in this thread, it might be helpful if your post mentioned the "difficulities" that you are concerned about. I updated from v16 to 17.0.15.0

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
Changelog: Version 17.0.16

FIXED: Browser protection is missing in EAV after in-product upgrade
FIXED: Firewall service list is empty
FIXED: Not possible to uninstall product after in-product upgrade and product change
FIXED: Some icons are shown without invisible background in firewall rule editor

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.