ESET Smart Security Premium
G-Data Internet Security
Emsisoft Anti-Malware
F-Secure Safe

KnownStormChaser

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 4, 2022
So My subscription to F-Secure will be running out in a couple of months. It is a bit expensive, and I've been looking into something to replace it. I have a couple on my shortlist: ESET Smart Security Premium, G-Data Internet Security, Emsisoft and I am open to still keeping F-Secure if everyone thinks it is better that the other options I have listed. (The reason why I am specifically looking at ESET SSP is that it has a new feature called live guard, which the Internet security and nod 32 version don't have. It's a cloud-sandbox that is supposed to help with zero-days.)

I am looking for something fairly light since I do play video games on my PC. I am also looking for good web protection, especially against phishing sites. It would be great if it has good protection against zero-day malware and ransomware, but It's not as important as the first two things. And finally, I am also looking for an antivirus that is relatively privacy-friendly. I would need to protect 4 Windows computers with the antivirus, and hopefully has relatively low false positives.

So out of these antivirus programs, which one would you guys recommend?

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
8BB1B621-89A8-4EB0-92EF-07CBF2162E82.jpeg

Last edited:

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I would recommend ESET SSP as a lightweight and strong solution that is very good for a gaming computer, but only if you don't care about the price.

F-Secure looks like a balanced price / performance / security solution, by the way it has quite few false positives even for cracks.

For web protection, it is best to install NextDNS in your browser and configure it for maximum security in the control panel.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Thanks. I had just looked at the site yesterday and the price has come down a bit more since then. I may give it a go since I missed the previous giveaway that many members took advantage of.

You’re very welcome. Al treats us all well, here. Send him a message requesting an MT member discount.(internet security doesn’t include any “devices”, only your pc)
For me, it fits the bill nicely 👍

Sorry you missed the giveaways…. They were awesome.

Peace to all ✌️

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I still prefer F-Secure of the options here. ESET is tempting but I find the UI sooner or later annoys me with the non-native dialogs and alerts for things that shouldn't alert me (new IP addresses on my network, protection engine has been updated, etc).

I also personally prefer F-Secure's strategy of dynamic protection components (DeepGuard) with a fairly decent and light signature engine + cloud components, and like that they routinely change engines and strategies over the years as one approach falls out of favor compared to others.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I like the simplicity of F-Secure, the not so good side is it's issues with Shadow Defender, & HitManPro / HitmanPro.Alert for example which have to be removed before installation, according to the F-Secure forum these can be re-installed without issue but I can't really see the need for this in the first place? Eset, was the best for a while but now needs extensive tweaking along with a less than intuitive firewall - Emsisoft still good but imposes a greater load on this Ryzen 5-5600 PC than the others & having bought expensive hardware I'm not seeing it drained away when other AV's don't have this problem, more of a point of principle - I voted F-Secure.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I like the simplicity of F-Secure, the not so good side is it's issues with Shadow Defender, & HitManPro / HitmanPro.Alert for example which have to be removed before installation, according to the F-Secure forum these can be re-installed without issue but I can't really see the need for this in the first place? Eset, was the best for a while but now needs extensive tweaking along with a less than intuitive firewall - Emsisoft still good but imposes a greater load on this Ryzen 5-5600 PC than the others & having bought expensive hardware I'm not seeing it drained away when other AV's don't have this problem, more of a point of principle - I voted F-Secure.

I’ve been told by them that the PSB installer options work for SAFE too, in particular the “disable-sidegrade” option to turn off incompatible app checks.

They take a cautious approach to all concurrent anti malware because they found that often times one product trying to disinfect will collide with another product, so it’s hard to determine if two programs are actually compatible. For example, attempting to probe for certain infection points or deleting a known malware registry key might trip DeepGuard into thinking it’s actually malware.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.