Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I replaced (in uBlock Origin) 1Hosts Mini by Energized Blu Go and went from 92% to 100%. I already had StevenBlack.Thanks, Evjl's Rain.
note that this is very specific for this test. Sometimes, 1hosts is better for your use case depend on the websites you visit. Energized blu go just blocks more than 1hosts mini in this test
personally, I don't like Energized blu go because it's quite big but the blocking is not that effective. I prefer smaller lists that block more

for example, you can archive 100% without blu go by adding Extremely Condensed Adblocking List (only 7x lines) to Easyprivacy + stevenblack (+/- 1hosts mini) = still smaller energized blue go alone but can certainly block more
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Before this becomes addictive (I promise myself this is the last filter tweak :) )

Next DNS: Next DNS ad & tracking filter and Adguard Filter
Edge tracking protection on Strict
AdBlockPlus with my own small filters to deal with left-over annoyances (less than 100 rules)
1619503519753.png

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
very simple. There are a few ways to get 100%
1/ medium mode, hard mode, umatrix, noscript,... => cheating -> doesn't count
2/ stevenblack + energized blue go (only these 2 are enough, no others)
3/ energized blue go + easylist + easyprivacy
4/ Stevenblack + easyprivacy + Extremely Condensed Adblocking List

View attachment 257453View attachment 257454
Thanks (y) I am trying out option 4. (Less filters used compared to 2 and 3) for daily use and see how that works out for me.
Extremely Condensed Adblocking List ==> 64 rules used.
EasyPrivacy (Optimized) ==> 12.518 rules used.
StevenBlack/hosts ==> 75.176 rules used.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
so someone updated his filter to get 100% :D
this test becomes popular on reddit
even ControlD DNS alone, you can get 100%
It was Easyprivacy according to the post of Ryan Brown under the Ghacks article:
Ryan Brown said on April 27, 2021 at 3:43 am
Landed into Easyprivacy, which should help. give it 24-48hrs.
M: Fixes for https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/src/adblock.html · easylist/easylist@955fa2f
/FanboyNZ Easylist
Improvements for blocking many 3rd-party domains, all adblockers using Easylist and Easyprivacy will pass 100%

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
It was Easyprivacy according to the post of Ryan Brown under the Ghacks article:

Improvements for blocking many 3rd-party domains, all adblockers using Easylist and Easyprivacy will pass 100%

then, the test becomes pointless because the most basic filter = easylist now gets 100% :D
we need another test

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

The test it's not a benchmark tool , and is not a race about who make 100% , it's a reference tool to check if you are blocking any of the host , in this case are used the most important hosts by category and popularity as reference

Stock Chrome, Google DNS, Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 DNS get 15% which is the goal for us for hiding in the mass.
I wish every browser would work like Safari :(

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
then, the test becomes pointless because the most basic filter = easylist now gets 100% :D
we need another test
It was an okay test to see if something slipped past your configuration and maybe you want to block that by adding a rule or a filter.
But now that the filter maintainers noticed that test and anybody can score 100%, the test is useless now.
Maybe the test had its purpose by alerting the filter maintainers that not everything that should be blocked was blocked...
So, you are correct we need a new test (y)

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
On mobile: Brave + NextDNS = 100%
On desktop:
Brave + NextDNS + AdGuard Desktop = 100%
Firefox + NextDNS +AdGuard Desktop = 74%
If I block JavaScript in Brave the test will not work (JavaScript is blocked in all my browser) .

Last edited:

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
The thing that made me do some research is that I didn't adjust my filters to get good results in this test or others, I tried Nextdns to see what results I'll get and it was the same tried a few pages on Browserleaks and it was better than before so all that stuff pointed to was my browser about:config I went so deep in that I can't remember most changes that I've made in the past yrs, but here is some results for who wanted to know without any adblockers.
Sorry about image #2 thats and old post so dis regard that first 1.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    54.1 KB · Views: 422
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    22 KB · Views: 391
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    155.4 KB · Views: 385
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    156.8 KB · Views: 395
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    155.9 KB · Views: 388
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    55.4 KB · Views: 421

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.