Battle ExpressVPN or NordVPN: Best for Netflix?

willypopDF

Thread author
Sep 8, 2018
I have came across several complaints on different forums that expressvpn still have problems with netflix streaming, its rather weird for such a great service, so I contacted the support team myself and they admitted that the issue can take place so everything you should do is to change the server to USA Los Angeles 3. So I'm still choosing the best solution for myself and most review sites of course recommend expressvpn, I found this one and despite many woodoo workarounds as an alternative they suggest to use nordvpn which also looks good and is almost twice cheaper.. So the question is what is the best for netflix expressvpn or nordvpn?

Michyon

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2018
NordVPN is very slow, (though imo they have a better app and better connections ie through firewalls) I would use Perfect Privacy and TPB. I have a subscription for 1.75 years remaining if you want it for about 50 bucks.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
IMO Windscribe works very well with Flix, I've used it on my Android TV for some months & it's never failed once often at UHD. You can get it for just a few £'s. I use Perfect Privacy on my PC's but as far as I'm aware they don't guarantee it will work with streaming.

willypopDF

Thread author
Sep 8, 2018
Thanks for the answer, the price for Perfect Privacy is higher even in comparison with expressvpn, is it really worth its money? Still do you have any thoughts about expressvpn? Also it looks like perfect privacy doesn't have android app...

johna

Oct 4, 2018
I see people pushing ExpressVPN on all review sites for some reason. I guess they pay the most money for these sites to recommend them on the first position. :) I've been using ExpressVPN since January this year specifically for Netflix and it has been working just fine until around June this year. After June it started to have major issues and you got the Netflix proxy error issue on a daily basis. This was never the case before that. I've then switched to NordVPN and have never experienced the proxy error thing since then.
I'm also not seeing any decrease in speed with NordVPN.

Important: You should not just select a country when connecting to nordvpn. You can expand the server list which will bring up a list of all the available servers in that country and it will show how overloaded each server in that country is. You can then choose a server that has a load of less than 20% or so and it should be fine then, no speed issues. Various websites are confirming these things too.

So I'd go with nord because express started not to work with netflix around this summer and it seems they haven't fixed that yet.

Klettern

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2018
NordVPN is very slow, (though imo they have a better app and better connections ie through firewalls) I would use Perfect Privacy and TPB. I have a subscription for 1.75 years remaining if you want it for about 50 bucks.

Have you tried switching the servers or contacting the support? Works fast and smoothly for me. Haven't tried Express so I cannot comment on that. And if someone wants, there's a free trial of NordVPN here so you can check it for yourself.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I have used both, and I'm actually using NordVPN, and this is what I can tell you:
  • NordVPN is far more customizable and gives a better security experience in general
  • Both have no log policy
  • NordVPN usually has problems for Netflix (generally I can't browse Netflix while connected, unless use specific server which uses to be slow)
  • Both have fast servers (according to where you live, in my case from Argentina I have to use Brazil server, since it's P2P server I can browse faster than on Argentina server)
I recommend NordVPN, but both are great. NordVPN is way cheaper if you buy 1yr or 2yr license. ExpressVPN is really expensive.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Any VPN could potentially be blocked by Netflix because it's so simple to do so, just blocking 1 IP address at a time they could go through the entire server of IP addresses as they come.

Reactions: ZeroDay

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Whichever supports IKEv2. I swear on IKEv2. It's essentially the speed of your Internet connection if the VPN servers are any decent. Personally I recommend Windscribe on a US server. Ain't nobody going to chase you down. In fact, the moment your traffic travels outside of the US, it is subject to NSA data collection and indefinite data retention. So best to keep your traffic within your borders.

Jake Miguel

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2016
I'd personally recommend you to go for either Nord, Ipvanish or windsribe, if your main purpose is to stream. I have used all these 3 vpns but I think Nord had better results. It was not choking on my bandwidth and overall it was very smooth.Check Nordvpn review for better understanding.

SoroushMst

Mar 11, 2019
I haven't used either ExpressVPN or NordVPN, but I've been using Wachee VPN as a chrome extension and the speed is great. And since it's not a very known VPN, their servers are never blocked.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.