F-Secure 18.0 released

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The latest stable version for F-Secure on PC have been updated to 18.0. The update should happen automatic. Otherwise please test the " Search for updates " option. Update information also found in the local UpgradeMessages folder.

At the moment their change/release log page hasn't been posted, but I'll add that as soon it happened. First notable change is the main window. The main icon itself stays the same as with previous stable versions.
2021-05-11-06-41-28.png
The setting page, scan window etc, is the exact same as before. This main window is possible to re-size, but for now it doesn't stay in that size if closed and opened. That is hopefully something fixed in a upcoming update. Access to the settings menu is now available via more options. The line menu ( hamburger menu ) in the top left corner. Clicking directly on the text " Virus and Threats " or " Secure Browsing & Banking ". As usual also available via a right click on the main icon in the taskbar.

I like that they removed the scrolling stat info from the main window. This cartoonish view, will take a while to get used to, but I also don't sit and stare at it anyway. Other so called graphical changes does improve and help the general user experience. The automatic description info that happens when hoover with the mouse pointer over certain options, is one good example.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Quote: "

Version 18.0​

Released May 2021

A completely redesigned main user interface with smart tasks
  • The main user interface has been reworked with .NET technology, and only consumes resources when open.
  • Important events open the main user interface automatically, offering an easy way to solve them. You can dismiss tasks that you don't consider important.
  • Events are shown in the main user interface, and subviews only show events and statistics that relate to a specific subview.
  • High resolutions, resizing, and accessibility features are now fully supported.
Allowed and blocked websites and time limits get a facelift
  • The user interface for allowed and blocked websites, and time limits has been reworked with .NET technology.
  • The URL address is validated when adding a new website entry.
  • You can select multiple website entries and remove them at the same time.
  • Keyboard shortcuts (Delete and Ctrl+C) are supported.
  • When the time limit has been reached, the child is locked out of the session after 60 seconds.
Easy sample submission directly from Quarantine
  • Quarantined items can be reported to the Security Cloud directly from the app and file control user interface.
Other user interface improvements and product enhancements
  • The user interface for Banking Protection minimizes automatically, so that it does not prevent accessing browser tabs.
  • The in-app Help has been changed to an HTML-based and .NET technology.
  • All system infection components removed by real-time scanning are listed in the event history user interface.
  • Quarantined items are not allowed if they are pending a computer restart.
  • The next scheduled scan is shown once the feature has been configured.
  • Allowing a website from the browser's block page opens a confirmation dialog.
  • The Microsoft Edge browsing protection extension is installed from the Microsoft Store. The extension can also be installed manually from the settings user interface.
  • Turning off all protection requires you to select when the protection is to be turned back on.
  • Product upgrades wait until virus scans or protected banking sessions end.
Removed features
  • Family rules is no longer available for adult users.
  • The Action Center ("Messages") has been merged with the main user interface. There is no longer the option to view messages in the tray icon.
  • Internet Explorer no longer triggers missing or disabled browser extension warnings. The browser extension is still installed and can be enabled. "

F 4 E

Level 3
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
Downloaded version 18, as I have a current licence.

Been using Eset Internet Security, but thought I'd give the new version 18 a run.

The new interface is terrible, as feared,

Acres of white real estate, serving no useful purpose.

As upnorth says, resizing doesn't stick after being closed, so hopefully that WILL be fixed.

Wish F-Secure would give us an option to retain the old UI, as it worked fine imho.

Wishful thinking, no doubt ! All in all, an underwhelming update. 5 out of 10, F-Secure !

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Downloaded version 18, as I have a current licence.

Been using Eset Internet Security, but thought I'd give the new version 18 a run.

The new interface is terrible, as feared,

Acres of white real estate, serving no useful purpose.

As upnorth says, resizing doesn't stick after being closed, so hopefully that WILL be fixed.

Wish F-Secure would give us an option to retain the old UI, as it worked fine imho.

Wishful thinking, no doubt ! All in all, an underwhelming update. 5 out of 10, F-Secure !
I'm with you on your summary and hopes. But I guess these are cosmetic issues, I'd rather there were this type of issue than the detection abilities were reduced.

F 4 E

Level 3
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
I'm with you on your summary and hopes. But I guess these are cosmetic issues, I'd rather there were this type of issue than the detection abilities were reduced.

I have used F-Secure for some time, and agree that its protection abilities are more important than any visual issue.

However, I feel that the UI changes have been mostly because they could, and change for the sake of it.

Call it a " refresh " if you like, but I much prefer the old interface. Just my 2C.

I commented to F-Secure asking if it were possible that users could be given the choice of UI appearance, and they said they would pass it on to the development team, so we'll see !

F 4 E

Level 3
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
Can the F-Secure processes still be killed from the task manager? The last time I asked them years ago they said it was by design bla bla bla DeepGuard would block real malware from performing that so.

Yes. I could end all but one task (F-Secure plugin hosting service)

I then got a warning from MS, and on checking found that F-Secure was " snoozed ".

Could not turn F-Secure back on, so had to reboot.

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence...............

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Just stumbled over a brand new added feature that is extra related to the latest posts here in this thread, but also the latest update itself. Guess I must have missed read about it. 🤷‍♂️

From time to time when I repack ( not the same as execute/run ) samples, I'm forced to disable F-Secures RT ( real-time ) protection. Simply being curious I also hit/clicked the option " Disable All Protection ", and the new cartoon people changed their appearance and pointed their fingers towards an small " Evil " figure/image that popped up in the top right corner. If anyone wish to see it, I'll add a screenshot on that as well. I'm not a fan on this specific new graphic, but as someone else mentioned in this thread, " cosmetic issues " and I do agree.

But what was extra interesting was, that one get a default automatic restart on the protection within 5 minutes and that's not possible to avoid if one click the inactivate ( Inaktivera in Swedish ) button. One can pre-long it similar as Windows updates with a few hours if needed for any reason, but that's it. Personal I would say, smart coding as it improves on how F-Secure handle users sometimes less smart interaction. Here's a Swedish version on that popup window.

2021-05-16-14-30-27.png

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
But what was extra interesting was, that one get a default automatic restart on the protection within 5 minutes and that's not possible to avoid if one click the inactivate ( Inaktivera in Swedish ) button. One can pre-long it similar as Windows updates with a few hours if needed for any reason, but that's it. Personal I would say, smart coding as it improves on how F-Secure handle users sometimes less smart interaction......
I agree with you, users are very capable of forgetting to re-activate important settings, even if it means a nag screen every so often I'd rather have that than a virus. I've yet to experience the " Evil " figure/image!

gigi64

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 14, 2012
I like fsecure but this new design is a little upsetting!
But I can not communicate with any other antivirus ... What should I do? Reinstall?

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I like fsecure but this new design is a little upsetting!
But I can not communicate with any other antivirus ... What should I do? Reinstall?
I don't like the re-design very much either but as I am very happy with F-Secure SAFE's protection I will keep it installed, the good protection is much more important in my opinion than a design issue.

Extension warning that I haven't seen myself.
I have not seen the extension warning either. I guess that this is new and as I already had the FF browser extension installed prior to the release of v 18.0 I didn't see any section in the main GUI for the browser extension.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I have not seen the extension warning either. I guess that this is new and as I already had the FF browser extension installed prior to the release of v 18.0 I didn't see any section in the main GUI for the browser extension.
Guess it was never needed with a re-install of the previous extension/s. Works fine in both FF and Edge.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Trying the Ziggo Safe Online version (just got the update to 18.0) again.

The new userinterface is not my taste, but it uses less resources and is cleaner without the scrolling stats.
All the settings still use the old userinterface, that makes me feel like 18.0 is not completely finished yet.

Like that the extension is now available from the Microsoft Store:
The Microsoft Edge browsing protection extension is installed from the Microsoft Store.
No need to allow other stores anymore (y)

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Trying the Ziggo Safe Online version (just got the update to 18.0) again.

The new userinterface is not my taste, but it uses less resources and is cleaner without the scrolling stats.
All the settings still use the old userinterface, that makes me feel like 18.0 is not completely finished yet.
Glad to hear.

With the new UI I must admit, I start to get used to it, and sometimes easier to jump between some of the windows. It's a faster click for now anyway.

18.1, that is in the Beta phase right now will hopefully soon start to show the more complete version.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Glad to hear.

With the new UI I must admit, I start to get used to it, and sometimes easier to jump between some of the windows. It's a faster click for now anyway.

18.1, that is in the Beta phase right now will hopefully soon start to show the more complete version.
Will be interesting to see if the old parts of the UI are gone with this beta.
  • We have now completed the 2 year project to convert all UIs to .NET technology. Qt library is removed from the product, including ICU library and OpenSSL. This changed also the UI paradigm: with old UI, it was always running in memory, consuming memory and a bit of CPU even if user did not want to view the UI. It also needed to be loaded into memory after restart, affecting computer performance in restart. The new .NET based UI works so that UI is loaded into memory only when user opens it, resulting in less resource usage when app is protecting in the background.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.