New Update F-Secure 18.4 released

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Nope, not mine. I also have the exact same extension version. Perhaps try re-install it might help. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 268431
F-Secure does not recognize the portable version of Firefox very well, making it difficult to reinstall add-ons. The addon I'm using now pulled in the .xpi file that was linked on the official forum. The update is working fine and 2022.07.05 is the last updated date.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
F-Secure does not recognize the portable version of Firefox very well, making it difficult to reinstall add-ons. The addon I'm using now pulled in the .xpi file that was linked on the official forum. The update is working fine and 2022.07.05 is the last updated date.
Aha the portable version. That makes sense on your issue.

Glad to hear the update solved it. (y)

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Is it better to submit samples to FSecure directly or Avira? Avira response seems very fast.
I mean, you can do both but realistically speaking you are a F-Secure customer and the whole point of Avira selling their engine SDK to F-Secure is to not take on the load of all of their downstream engine users. Also, F-Secure may choose to have an engine other than Avira handle the threat you report.

I think that's an important distinction about F-Secure. Unlike certain AVs that contain a third party engine which does almost everything (e.g. ZoneAlarm with Kaspersky), in F-Secure's world, the signature scanner plays an important role but IMO not dominantly so for the kind of emerging threats being tested by these tests or the Hub. A big part of that protection comes from F-Secure Cloud, their in-house Hydra engine (which has been providing most of the Office VBS / macro virus detections seen in the Hub), and of course DeepGuard.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.