F-Secure Launches Usage-based Security Licencing

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
F-Secure Elements is introducing a usage-based security option for its products. The idea is that you only pay when the products are being used. Well, not quite and we’ll come to that later, but it’s getting there. Basically, if you don’t use an F-Secure licence for an entire calendar month, you don’t pay for that month. It’s a great idea in principal that, if replicated across the software industry, could save companies billions of pounds every year.

To get a better understanding of what F-Secure is doing, how it will work for customers and channel, Enterprise Times spoke with Dean Porter, UK & Ireland Country Manager, F-Secure. We asked Porter, how do you measure usage? Porter replied: “This is more about whether the security licence is being consumed and the device that’s being protected is actually being used at the time. Let’s talk about the furlough. People were not working during that time, so they were handing back in their devices to being locked away in server rooms. “At that time, the device still has security on it and it couldn’t be switched on. The licence is not necessarily being consumed you shouldn’t have to pay for security in a time where you don’t actually need it.”

Does this not drive a coach and horse through the way we currently licence software?

Porter commented: “Correct? That’s why we’re pioneering this and there’s no one else that’s doing that in the industry at the moment. We’re talking about usage-based base security, which is the right title for it.”

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Hello @upnorth

on my way to test F-Secure Elements Endpoint Protection with Premium Features. Can not wait for the order to be processed.

Why I am so hyped about this is that I have costumers that do not have a local domain or branch offices that are in no need of them but still need security and patch-management. F-Secure can provide that over the Cloud.

Now this with the License is just cool and love how F-Secure evolves.

Best regards
Val.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Hello @upnorth

on my way to test F-Secure Elements Endpoint Protection with Premium Features. Can not wait for the order to be processed.

Why I am so hyped about this is that I have costumers that do not have a local domain or branch offices that are in no need of them but still need security and patch-management. F-Secure can provide that over the Cloud.

Now this with the License is just cool and love how F-Secure evolves.

Best regards
Val.
The endpoint is for those that don't know, in a different league then the home user version, because it comes with features like software patch management etc :

2021-07-18_19-28-27.png
Also the support is much more explicit and faster. Now this new licensing does for sure sounds like a very good improvement, but I'm not sure how well, so please post some updates as it would be interesting to hear about.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
No news about the Licensing stuff yet... I am on it @upnorth

For the F-Secure Essentials Client Protection part - I am super happy it feels light and very responsive.

The Cloud Managment part is super easy to understand and to create your own Prolicys.

Here a view of the processes running:
1626697882409.png

The System Scan was super fast and informative:

1626697983023.png

I know these are no live samples but since I do not have a Lab Setup at Home I try to get due with the basics. :)

Sincerely
Val.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
As Promised @upnorth

NewZ - Directly from my F-Secure Sales Manager Rep.

How the Flexible License works is simple:

- Costumer has to be billed per month by F-Secure and Reseller
- F-Secure MSP Program
- Does not work with Year Subscription
- Only works with F-Secure Elements Products

Use case:

The Costumer has ordered 40 Licenses and actively uses all 40 for one month = Gets billed for 40

Later the Costumer only uses 35 out of the 40 next month = Gets billed for 35

If in any case only one pc gets turned on during that month = Gets billed for 36

Pool Size = 40

So a over licensing can not occur and the Account needs to be updated to accommodate more Licenses by the Partner.

Conclusion:

Monthly Payment - Monthly Flexibility

Client - Server and other Services are handled the same way as long as they are F-Secure Elements Products and part of the MSP Program

Best regards
Val.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.