F-Secure provided by spectrum WIFI first look. (version information included in screenshots)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It's the current version of F-Secure Safe and looks almost the same as the one provided by my ISP Ziggo:

Aantekening 2019-12-28 121020.jpg

Hope you like it on your system(s).

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
One thing that directly caught my eyes, that version lacks on the main window the " My F-Secure " below Tools or what also @Gandalf_The_Grey Ziggo version include as " Ziggo Safe Online ". Ziggo also includes the F-Secure logo. Spectrum don't. On the other screenshot, the Message option is also missing.

Now this dosen't have to mean it's something wrong as companies like Spectrum that provide both internet, TV and phone subscriptions from time to time can decide offer something extra to it's customers. AVs of all sort of brands is pretty common. Still, to be 100% sure I would reach out and contact F-Secures support and they would easy be able to confirm this.

Hamlet

Dec 1, 2019
I have Internet service from Charter Spectrum and use their Security Suite on my desktop computer. It seems to be like F-Secure Internet Security but does not have the banking protection feature. Other than that all of the modules are the same. My one worry with the product is that perhaps Charter is scraping off usage data in some way. I don't think that is the case however, since the privacy policy that you can read during installation is just the regular F-Secure statement. I was able to check these things because I also have a current license for the standard F-Secure Internet Security product.

Anyway, I feel fortunate that my ISP offers this product for no extra cost.

Bryan320

Level 8
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
My ISP does contain the latest database updates of F secure I also like how amazingly fast the full system scan is. I do also like how the product checks for updates every 1 hour and actually (does them every 1 hour unlike some security products.) it's really an install and forget package strong right out of the box.

Bryan320

Level 8
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
F secure scans my computer in less then 5 minuets 60,480 files which is faster then Malwarebytes!!! However Malwarebytes scans more files than F secure. Maybe F secure has good files in it's database that it doesn't scan because the program knows it's safe? Malwarebytes scans 240,000 files in a full system scan while F secure only scans 60,480 files. Anyone have any other explanations for this?

Bryan320

Level 8
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
My biggest complaint with F secure is that it won’t delete infected Zip files. (Not even giving you the option to delete them) it seems very annoying that the same detection happens over and over again with no exclusions after a full scan it will just detect it over and over again. This needs to be fixed I’m shying away from f secure for now. Other Avs have no problem deleting the zip files it’s not hard...

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
My biggest complaint with F secure is that it won’t delete infected Zip files. (Not even giving you the option to delete them) it seems very annoying that the same detection happens over and over again with no exclusions after a full scan it will just detect it over and over again. This needs to be fixed I’m shying away from f secure for now. Other Avs have no problem deleting the zip files it’s not hard...
That needs to be a preference. Windows Defender's "routine scan" loves to delete entire 12GB backup archives of my system because it found an Office KMS activator in a downloads directory inside it.... And that personally drives me nuts.

I don't like overly aggressive automatic cleaning. As long as it blocks execution of infected payloads effectively.

Bryan320

Level 8
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
That needs to be a preference. Windows Defender's "routine scan" loves to delete entire 12GB backup archives of my system because it found an Office KMS activator in a downloads directory inside it.... And that personally drives me nuts.

I don't like overly aggressive automatic cleaning. As long as it blocks execution of infected payloads effectively.
What I am saying is at least give users the “option to delete them if wanted” I don’t agree with automatic cleaning at all in case of a false positive.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
What I am saying is at least give users the “option to delete them if wanted” I don’t agree with automatic cleaning at all in case of a false positive.
Yeah that would make sense. A lot of AVs let you set detailed preferences for cleaning different kinds of files, archives separate from single files. Or they ask you to select an action on each infection after a system scan.

F-Secure took away a bunch of those options when they lightened their product to make SAFE. Their business products still have that kind of configurability. Not unlike how Norton 360 has a very different set of preferences vs what Symantec Endpoint Protection can get you.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I miss norton because Comcast offered it free as well. It was pretty good.
Yeah if you get Norton for free it is honestly hard to justify paying money for something else. For all the criticism of Comcast, they made a good choice there instead of partnering with a worse AV vendor.

Lately I've been quite a fan of F-Secure. It's light and the combo of Avira signatures with their DeepGuard BB is great for AV protection.... But Norton is the whole kitchen sink too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.