Battle F-Secure SAFE vs. Dr.Web Security Space

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Hi guys.

i want to choose only between F-Seure and Dr.Web so please do not suggest any security software else :D
most important for me?
Customer support.
behavior blocker ( their power against zero days.. )

thats it. nothing else :)

and to add a plus here:
+ something i don't like at F-Secure comapny, is that they have not 24/7 support, but DrWeb have, also 24/7 phone support so we can call in urgents..

well i hope you help me to have a right choice :D

Regards,Parham

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I think FPs originate from DeepGuard not knowing about files - it blocks rare files. I think it may be because F-Secure is not so widely used (in 10's of millions of PCs). Thus it may not have large file database... I don't know.
That's why they have offered 6 months of Multidevice protection free, to get more prospect samples of more users, and also some trust.
These upcoming samples from different OS of the new users should eventually improve their file rating over months and also help in gathering software reputation across the world.

In Malware Hub tests, it does block some of them, not all. But I can not understand it letting some 0-days run because "these files are known to the cloud"...
Must be something else (like with Avast CyberCapture - it fails to capture from time to time).
This one is perplexing yet disappointing. Hope they set things right and train their product well in the coming year.
They seem to have an awesome team researching on advanced malware analysis. I'd observed the Quora QA session of Mikko Hypponen, CRO at F-Secure. Good luck to them.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
DeepGuard is promising. It's not that aggressive as Emsisoft one perhaps, but it's good.
DB signatures are OK. I think FPs originate from DeepGuard not knowing about files - it blocks rare files. I think it may be because F-Secure is not so widely used (in 10's of millions of PCs). Thus it may not have large file database... I don't know.

I do hope they will block rare files more frequently tho. In Malware Hub tests, it does block some of them, not all. But I can not understand it letting some 0-days run because "these files are known to the cloud"...
Must be something else (like with Avast CyberCapture - it fails to capture from time to time).

Because when you take samples from the HUB, they are pretty rare pieces of malware so they all should be "Rare application" by DeepGuard definition.
wow thanks for inform about it :)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
in fact i trust to DrWeb in keeping my digital world secure.

my goal about start this poll was that to find out what is the opinions about DrWeb,
as i expect most of MT users, didnt try it or if they did, it was about 3-4 years ago...

but good descisions happened :D
do't eat g*h :D

F

ForgottenSeer 55778

If you want an opinion on one software only, kindly post it in the designated software's location on Software Discussion, especially if you didn't really care about F-Secure. :D

I did try Dr. Web, and found it to be less protective than leading antiviruses.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/13-01-2016-22.67512/ (a recent test with many samples in the malware hub, F-Secure is at the bottom of the page, listed as FS). F-Secure did well, along with Kaspersky, Avast Hardened, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Suomi! Mikkö Hyppönen. F-Secure, i give me my vote. I have tested dr.web also, but i dunno they are both specific sections better than other, so its up to user benefits. Just because SUOMI i suggest F-secure. I have beeing beta tester couple of years in the past and of course it has been up and down, but never being complete failure. Sorry but just my home VM i have tested some creepy malwares in dr.web and result it was so good, part of them fresh like straight in the oven.

And yes they have good support ;)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i started using F-Secure about 4 years ago. I decided to use this AV because of many positive test results/opinions.
Had no problems so far with malware attacks or infections. F-Secure is running on all my machines (3 laptops). I decided to renew all
my licences some weeks ago for another 2 years.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
in fact i trust to DrWeb in keeping my digital world secure.

I think it is common sense here at MT that F-Secure is a more solid and probably more mature solution than Dr. Web. But again, it's always up to the user to make the choice based on their own preferences; if you prefer to use Dr. Web there's no problem at all. At the end of the day, I would say 70% of computer safety relies on the user (Brain.exe); detection rates vary considerably between solutions and maybe certain malware could be caught by Dr. Web and missed by F-Secure but... who knows? It's always uncertain until you are faced with a real threat

R

Rodney74

Lately I decided to do offline scans. So I went to my local office store and bought the "FixMeStick". You boot with it and it scans your PC.

This is suppose to be the best way, as no files can subdue the "Stick" and also no files are in use.

I had previously ran, Avast, Hitman Pro, and Zemana which are installed as on demand scanners. They had found nothing.

The "FixMeStick" found several on C:

But to my shock, Dr.Web Boot stick (I made myself, with Dr. Web Iso file and a utility named "UltraIso", found even more, the most of all the other combined.

Now The suite you can buy from Dr. Web is good, I bought it last year, but it slowed my PC way down.

F-Secure, I don't think will find as much as Dr.Web, but F-Secure was very fast on my PC.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Like a Western!

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Mr.Pr
If your looking for Dr. Webb fans I think they have a website ;)
You don't seen too interested in your own poll.
Sorry for that.
I have "recently tried Dr. Webb and still prefer F-Secure.
I think for me it is more than just reputation.
F-Secure easily out scores Dr. Webb, and resource usage varies
like day and night between the two, I will let you guess which is the highest
and lowest of the two. Just honesty my brother.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
If your looking for Dr. Webb fans I think they have a website ;)
Thanks for your reply,

but why should i looking for DrWeb fans? :D
i am active in their forum by the way.

F-Secure easily out scores Dr. Webb, and resource usage varies
maybe just in resource usage :p

i created this poll because i wanted to know that whats the other opinions about DrWeb and F-Secure, and i got my answer :cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.