F-Secure Ultralight Anti-Virus Beta

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
This is still alive and well btw. No component is older than from March, 2017 (the UI which needs little updating I guess). The engines are updated daily and the signatures multiple times during the day. I wish I could take a screenshot of the UI but all I get is white, appears to have some kind of screenshot protection going on.

Ultralight? Hmmm I guess experiences vary. Once you download the optional Aquarius offline engine, it takes up 500 MB on your hard drive.
EGgx6ty.png

Not light on RAM either... it can go anywhere from using 50 MB to 200 MB RAM
gZ3LduT.png

However, it is very light on the CPU and very light on disk usage. It's for the set it and forget it people among us. :)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
This is still alive and well btw. No component is older than from March, 2017 (the UI which needs little updating I guess). The engines are updated daily and the signatures multiple times during the day. I wish I could take a screenshot of the UI but all I get is white, appears to have some kind of screenshot protection going on.

Ultralight? Hmmm I guess experiences vary. Once you download the optional Aquarius offline engine, it takes up 500 MB on your hard drive.
EGgx6ty.png

Not light on RAM either... it can go anywhere from using 50 MB to 200 MB RAM
gZ3LduT.png

However, it is very light on the CPU and very light on disk usage. It's for the set it and forget it people among us. :)
I thought that they had given up on the project, I'm going to download it and do some testing with it :)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I thought that they had given up on the project, I'm going to download it and do some testing with it :)
Nope. Getting updates left and right. Found a way to take screenshots after all.

XICCUk2.png

Compare this to the regular F-Secure:
7iwwYg1.png

I guess it is just the antivirus portion of F-Secure Protection with a different UI and no toggles other than whitelist and disabling/enabling the offline engine (Aquarius) and disabling/enabling banking protection which I disabled because it would block too much.

Warning: The install process is mysterious to say the least. No visual feedback. No entry in start menu! Just trust it to do its thang.

Edit: fixed.

Last edited:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Nope. Getting updates left and right. Found a way to take screenshots after all.

XICCUk2.png

7iwwYg1.png

I guess it is just the antivirus portion of F-Secure SAFE and up with a different UI and no toggles other than whitelist and disabling/enabling the offline engine (Aquarius) and disabling/enabling banking protection which I disabled because it would block too much.

Warning: The install process is mysterious to say the least. No visual feedback. No entry in start menu! Just trust it to do its thang.
No interface?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

XICCUk2.png

7iwwYg1.png

I guess it is just the antivirus portion of F-Secure SAFE and up with a different UI and no toggles other than whitelist and disabling/enabling the offline engine (Aquarius) and disabling/enabling banking protection which I disabled because it would block too much.

that's a picture from fs protection beta not SAFE, but yea Ultralight is a module of fs protection.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I just received a mail that I have been accepted for their beta program. :)
Installation was pretty fast. UI looks kind of unusual, no settings or menu, background image does not updates in realtime. Almost no performance lag during internet browsing and app installations. Startup impact also seems minimal. PS I didn't enable offline engine.
Tried Eicar test file, which it detected as all AV's do. It took necessary action with a notification about detected threat and gave no prompt to user.
Overall pretty good so far. Can't say about it's protection though, since my laptop can't handle VM (not enough ram to make it a fun process).

Reactions: DeepWeb

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Light what I light I do not see it uses enough ram, it might be that it does not have inpacto, But .....

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Light what I light I do not see it uses enough ram, it might be that it does not have inpacto, But .....
Just because a program uses slightly more ram than others doesn't make it heavy (unless there is a memory leak). Ram is there to be used. From my personal experience, this pretty light. About the same impact as webroot on the system performance.

Reactions: MWNu72 and enaph

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Decided to go back to this and there are no issues with my other programs anymore. Not sure if they patched something or if it's something on my end. But, in the end, this is one of the very few behavior blockers you can get for free + BitDefender signatures.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Ultralight Antivirus is developed only when F-Secure has free time for it. Its development priority was posted on the F-Secure community back in 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.