App Review F-Secure vs Emsisoft vs Kaspersky Comparative Reviews

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
Nice one (y)
Looks like F-Secure is still blacklisting malware found on abuse ch :unsure:
But I won't be so sure about system remaining infection free on this test. Specially on F-Secure's test, it looks infected with malware made persistent persistence via scheduled task which went unnoticed by F-Secure. If it's something like a data stealer, then data was already taken or will be taken at a later time.
On Emsisoft's test, the malware in the download folder is a password stealer, as indicated by Kaspersky's signature name. Maybe Emsi stopped the malware and it's just a remnant. If that's the case then the system is safe.
Kaspersky achieved a proper clean sheet, it seems.
Where did you see the schedueled task entry in the video? The eset second opinion scan result?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The problem is, Fsecure wants you to uninstall Shadow Defender before you can install it. (n)
? if you did uninstall SD first, then install F-Secure, after FS installed, would you be able to successfully install SD again, such that SD works as intended??
EDIT: others answered above, the question is now apparently moot, nice.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Shadow Defender does not work with Windows 11, causes a BSOD.
Not if you set it to use RAM instead of your hard drive and YES it will bluescreen if you try using it with Wise Vecture.

Here is the list of things I have compiled to try with Shadow Defender.

Download URL: Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool

Install Marcrium Reflect free and make a complete disk image onto a USB stick.

Dissable fast startup: Doesn't come out of shadow Mode on restart.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power]
"HiberbootEnabled"=dword:00000000

GUI wont start:

start a command prompt as an administrator then type the following command and press Enter:
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\diskpt /v Control /t REG_DWORD /d 268435456 /f
Reboot and try again.

BSOD:

Some research (googling, actually) let me to suspect that the retained shadows of the drive were somehow corrupt, so I simply deleted them (vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all). Since then, there have been no errors reported, new shadow snapshots were created and everything else is working OK.

Drive Z: Error:

In SD's admin section, (administration) Click More Details. Where it says Others, change that from 200 to 1

Check for drive errors on reboot coming out of Shadow mode:

Here on my system,Win 11 Enterprise,I tried all the check disk options along with all the great check disk third party Apps along with the HD manufacture software. None of that worked and so I can only run using RAM.
RAM used as write cache on my system is set to 1000

Dependent on signatures :/
yup

I did a tiny, tiny test. I submitted a sample to VT a little over 24 hours ago. Deep Guard only flagged and blocked on execution. I was curious to see who had sigs for it today and you might be surprised at the results or not. Take a peek!!!
Here is what dee guard showed, Suspicious:W32/Malware!DeepGuard Description | F-Secure Labs

Last edited by a moderator:

Alyssonn

Oct 1, 2019
Emsisoft did not let an infection pass, when the executable was started previously Emsisoft stopped the contamination attempt, the system is clean! This file is just in the folder, as it was before, if it is executed again it will be blocked as already shown in the video. For me Emsisoft is the best among the 3, basically because Emsisoft is better in PUP detection, when it comes to technology against zero-day Emsisoft and kaspersky are the best!

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.