Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
There is another problem. AV developers have to quickly change the code to make the AVs work with updates. This always causes some errors in the code, which can be exploited. So, Windows 10 revolution makes Windows stronger, but also AVs more vulnerable.

Reactions: Marko :) and shmu26

Thread author
The administrators in Enterprises dislikes such problems too. They found out the solution - do not update if you do not have to. Use Windows policies, network IDS, SRP (AppLocker) or AppGuard to lock the system.
An average Joe with Windows 10 home is defenseless. He can try to stick with Defender + Edge + Universal Applications - that tactics can save many potential 'update/upgrade victims', but not all. Another way is finding someone who can recover from the 'update/upgrade disaster'.

The average Joe and even Admins do not care about security. People on these forums just do not understand that security and other things discussed here is not a part of everyday reality for the typical person or Admin.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am usually a big complainer but this time the update went fast and smooth.
No complaints yet, except that the protected folders feature is so stupid that it blocks even OneDrive and MS Word, it is really too much. I turned it off.

I see that they hid all the good security tweaks in group policy, which is extremely inconvenient but is probably a smart move, because otherwise users will bork their computers with the wrong settings.

I hope someone will post a guide for security tweaks on FCU.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The average Joe and even Admins do not care about security. People on these forums just do not understand that security and other things discussed here is not a part of everyday reality for the typical person or Admin.
So, we agree about average Joe, but slightly disagree about average admin.:)
That could be, because both me and my wife, worked with confidential data. Average admin does not have to obey security instructions.

Thread author
So, we agree about average Joe, but slightly disagree about average admin.:)
That could be, because both me and my wife, worked with confidential data. Average admin does not have to obey security instructions.

The average Admin knows very little about security. The average Admin's objective is to just "get things to work." The average Admin works in a company with less than 100 employees. Even Admins in very large corporations lack security focus. In SMB, corporate and institution environments, the priority is that things work at the bare minimum cost over security. Security is not a priority - especially if it costs money. Going out into the field clearly shows this fact over-and-over.

Specialized Admins that are very well versed in security are rare and work in very specific types of corporate environments.

If you go into the field, you will find that the average Admin does not prioritize security.

And despite what others say, the decision makers do not really care about ease-of-use. The Admins do to an extent, but the people writing the check - all they care about is the cost. So, the bottom line is, if it costs money - even a few dollars per workstation, they ain't buying. That's reality.

The decision makers won't even hire the bare minimum staff needed to administer their systems properly. It is not unusual for a company to have only 1 Admin on staff. And that Admin is in charge of an atrociously mangled, obsolete array of hardware and software that barely works together. Or, you see the administration subcontracted out and perhaps a technician will be called only when there is a breakage.

By far the most popular Admin model is the centralized Help Desk. It's like email support with the same end-results...

This is reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

plat1098

Thread author
Re: Admins and security: unfortunately, you only have to witness this once to understand the idea! I go to my large dental clinic in a major metropolitan hospital; I hate going there as it is and they're behind, behind, behind. I start to moan about the wait and the dentist apologizes and points to the monitor showing my history: it seems the server is infested with malware, making everything run sloooow, if at all. Do I pay with my card afterward, no I do not. Three days later, I go back with a fist full of cash, they're still not fully back on track. :alien:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The average Admin knows very little about security. The average Admin's objective is to just "get things to work." The average Admin works in a company with less than 100 employees. Even Admins in very large corporations lack security focus. In SMB, corporate and institution environments, the priority is that things work at the bare minimum cost over security. Security is not a priority - especially if it costs money. Going out into the field clearly shows this fact over-and-over.

Specialized Admins that are very well versed in security are rare and work in very specific types of corporate environments.

If you go into the field, you will find that the average Admin does not prioritize security.

And despite what others say, the decision makers do not really care about ease-of-use. The Admins do to an extent, but the people writing the check - all they care about is the cost. So, the bottom line is, if it costs money - even a few dollars per workstation, they ain't buying. That's reality.

The decision makers won't even hire the bare minimum staff needed to administer their systems properly. It is not unusual for a company to have only 1 Admin on staff. And that Admin is in charge of an atrociously mangled, obsolete array of hardware and software that barely works together. Or, you see the administration subcontracted out and perhaps a technician will be called only when there is a breakage.

By far the most popular Admin model is the centralized Help Desk. It's like email support with the same end-results...

This is reality.
That looks very sad from the security point of view. Recently, I have seen a program about security in banks (do not remember the country). The professional hacked bank security without problems. Simply he said that he has to get access to the computer and make a faster network connection. Next connected a pendrive that automatically infected the network.
So, the admin that would fit my picture, should be rather called a security admin. I think that it can depend on the country. In Poland, many Enterprises that work with confidential data, has a special office that can monitor most computers on the network and check if they obey the security standards.

Last edited:

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Well I was on another forum just then and it may just be this user's machine but someone is saying that when they shutdown and turn back on all their software starts up again.

Win10 restoring opened apps on boot/reboot

When I cold boot or reboot, all my previously opened applications automatically reopen. I've been searching Google for days on how to disable this and all I get is how to disable File Explorer restoring opened stuff on boot, and how to add applications on startup. I've attempted to replicate the issue using a VM with the same Win10 version, and I don't get the same behavior. Running Win10 fall creators update on SSD.

Something else to keep in mind

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
got blue screen of death,computer had to have a reinstall,real bummer,now replacing programs ouch!
Yes, that is ouch!
Often in such cases you will see an option for repair, you will probably get an option to roll back to previous build. If not, use a windows recovery disk or usb. Windows surely has saved the previous configuration of your system, it is just a matter of accessing it.
Of course, the best policy is to always make a system image before attempting a major change...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well I was on another forum just then and it may just be this user's machine but someone is saying that when they shutdown and turn back on all their software starts up again.

I see that behavior. It remembers which applications were open when the system shut down, and reopens them.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015

I've noticed that and it's really annoying. Pausing video playback when Chrome is minimized is annoying too. I don't understand the part where they add bunch of features and don't give users options to disable it. :rolleyes:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Pausing video playback when Chrome is minimized is annoying
it's a known chrome's issue, not W10FCU
many many users have this issue, including me using any OS
the temporary workarounds are disabling hardware acceleration (bad solution) or just another chromium alternative or chrome beta/canary

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
it's a known chrome's issue, not W10FCU
many many users have this issue, including me using any OS
the temporary workarounds are disabling hardware acceleration (bad solution) or just another chromium alternative or chrome beta/canary
Oh, so it's Chrome bug? Alright then. :)

I also get black screen sometimes when I'm scrolling on page with huge number of elements. That can be fixed as well by turning off hardware acceleration but I'll rather wait for Google to fix the bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.