Advice Request Firefox Block Youtube videos

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I'm having a problem with firefox blocking all youtube videos. I'm not sure why, but every time I try to see anything on youtube (or go to any any site that has youtube embedded in it) I get the below message. I'm not sure why. All extensions and blocking have been disabled. I even get the same message if I were to use a brand new profile. This happens in Firefox, Waterfox and Librewolf but works perfectly fine in Vivaldi.

2023-05-15_13h37_51.png
Any ideas?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Ummm, have you got a content restricter set as part of your underlying OS, Modem, WiFi, Network etc?

The error message would indicate something outside the browser environment. And with so many browser's not getting access, it can't be browser specific.

Nup, my bet is OS/Network level blocking...

(Haha,... "That's what she said..." - love it)

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Yeah, but I can't imagine what it could be. It's not DNS, because I disabled that. How could it be OS Level? What settings would that be?
Well, I'm iOS/Mac and it has Screen Time in the Settings menu. There is a staggering amount of stuff you can allow or restrict access to via a PIN. I use it to disable the ability to modify User details. Protects my iCloud/Apple ID against thieving scumbags should they steal my phone/iPad/Mac.

Not sure what you're using, but I would suggest something at that level.

Also, I assume you flushed your cache and shut-down your computer for a couple of minutes AFTER you changed DNS/Blocker settings to reset any BIOS type restrictions.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I'm running Win11, but I'm in an admin account, so nothing should be off limits for me.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
nb8chavez you use IVPN right? Maybe it's the adblocking/tracker blocking part of the Vpn software?

Otherwise, you don't have uMatrix, Jshelter or Noscript enabled?

Nope. I'm using Mullvad with their DNS servers excluded for ControlD's. No extensions are enabled, and even Firefox's blocking was disabled. I even completely restored my DNS to default and still had the same issue.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Is it your personal computer/laptop? work place or home? have you tried other device as mobile/laptop for test?

This is a just my personal desktop. My tablet and android seems line though, and they use ControlD too. Could the IP from Mullvad be blacklisted?

Reactions: simmerskool

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I'm having a problem with firefox blocking all youtube videos. I'm not sure why, but every time I try to see anything on youtube (or go to any any site that has youtube embedded in it) I get the below message. I'm not sure why. All extensions and blocking have been disabled. I even get the same message if I were to use a brand new profile. This happens in Firefox, Waterfox and Librewolf but works perfectly fine in Vivaldi.

View attachment 275412
Any ideas?
What is your setting for Firefox: Enhanced Tracking Protection?
I had a similar problem with YT links and fixed it when switched the mode of Enhanced Tracking Protection from strict to standard or custom...

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Could the IP from Mullvad be blacklisted?
This is most likely the correct answer but it's strange because YouTube is still accessible with Mullvad on blacklisted servers on my end so who knows. Mullvad servers are being actively blacklisted now (I've noticed several servers I use to use are blocked on ecommerce sites and even on bleepingcomputer.com) I imagine because the number of bad actors and fraud has increased tenfold lately due to media reports of getting raided and Mullvad doing everything possible in protecting user data.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
...I've noticed several servers I use to use are blocked on.. and even on bleepingcomputer.com...

Sorry, slightly off topic, but,

I have the same problem using ProtonVPN.

So, I've just sent Bleeping Computer a request for clarification on the use of VPN's on their site.

I'll post their response on the main forum somewhere if they are cool with it.

Update:
Very quick response from BC,
"
We commonly block IP addresses that scrape the site or are part of DDoS attacks. Unfortunately, this means we sometimes hit valid VPN addresses.

If you can send over the impacted IP address, I can check why its blocked and remove it.
"

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
So, this is interesting. I'm not sure it has anything to do with Mullvad or a VPN. In fact, I'm pretty certain the issue is somewhere in my Firefox config. Perhaps in might even be the gecko engine. I dunno. But there were other things acting hinky in Firefox and Librewolf, so I installed Vivaldi and migrated a backup of my profile over. I lot of the issues went away, but not all. I still used the same vpn server and the same DNS server. Obviously, more testing needs to be done. I just don't have the time right now to do it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.