Advice Request Firefox F-Secure extension not working.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

LittleDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2014
I updated Firefox to v106 yesterday. Not sure if it is connected but my F-Secure extension is showing "spinning circles" instead of ticks in Google search results.
Banking protection does not appear to be working either. I have reinstalled the extension...no change though. Waiting to hear back from F-Secure support.
Is anyone else experiencing issues?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Same so far as @Claudio66 , but since F-Secure did a major overhaul on their Firefox extension a few months ago because of FF new strict policy rules, I wouldn't be super surprised if something now down the line went wrong.

Yeah latest FF version also here and fully tested both on my host and guest system ( VM ) with no issues at the moment, but what Windows version do you use @LittleDude ? I'm on Windows 10 21H2, and is about to do a test install on the latest Windows update for 22H2.

F-Secures service status don't show right now anyway anything that could be correlated.
Latest FF extension is: 4.1.43.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I recall the F-Secure Firefox extension not working a while back. It was because Firefox was blocking the extension because it couldn't verify it, could this be a re-occurrence?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I recall the F-Secure Firefox extension not working a while back. It was because Firefox was blocking the extension because it couldn't verify it, could this be a re-occurrence?
Yeah as I said I wouldn't be super surprised, but at that time the issue was different and the error message users got crystal clear. Member @LittleDude haven't reported here in this thread any specific error messages.

Btw, I had a call with them a few minutes ago asking if there is a possible general issue and nope, not so far but that will for sure show itself within a day or two.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Yeah as I said I wouldn't be super surprised, but at that time the issue was different and the error message users got crystal clear. Member @LittleDude haven't reported here in this thread any specific error messages.

Btw, I had a call with them a few minutes ago asking if there is a possible general issue and nope, not so far but that will for sure show itself within a day or two.
Yes, I agree, and I should have said something like a 'similar situation' instead of a 're-occurance'; meaning that it is not an exact repeat of the earlier issues I highlighted.

I'm going slightly off topic, but it is still about Firefox extensions and may be a cause for this issue.

I think there has been a recent Firefox extension tweak that has messed around with various other extensions, because I've noticed that a couple of mine have been 'misbehaving'. BitWarden requires me to enter both my username and password when I start using it, previously I had it so as I only needed to enter the password but now it does not always remember the username if I start Firefox again. Clicking on NoScript in the toolbar causes the pop-up to 'hang' as a white box with no text or permission options visible in it sometimes. It could be something else that is causing this, extensions not playing along well with each other. I haven't been able to re-create either example just now, they've both happenned ocasionally since the middle of last week, so this pre-dates the latest Firefox update. I've tried disabling certain extensions to see if that allows the other ones to function like they usually have, but I haven't had the time to delve deep into this possibility, and it is often overcome by simply restarting Firefox.

This also happens in LibreWolf, not unsurprisingly.

So I'm wondering if the OP and anyone else who has had this issue with the F-Secure extension has noticed any other extensions 'misbehaving'?

LittleDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2014
Haven't noticed any other issues. I have restored a system image with FF v105.3 since FF does not allow you to reinstall older versions without creating a new profile(probably a way around this). At least this way I can do any further testing using Shadow Defender.
F-Secure support rather disappointing...basically just told me to make sure the extension was updated. They mentioned version 4.1.39 but latest is 4.1.62. I would have expected them to be more aware of their own products.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Haven't noticed any other issues. I have restored a system image with FF v105.3 since FF does not allow you to reinstall older versions without creating a new profile(probably a way around this). At least this way I can do any further testing using Shadow Defender.
F-Secure support rather disappointing...basically just told me to make sure the extension was updated. They mentioned version 4.1.39 but latest is 4.1.62. I would have expected them to be more aware of their own products.
Sad to hear as my own call resulted in much more help with a guide etc that I never posted here as I presumed you got the same.

The latest version number on the extension in FF latest stable version is: 4.1.43. Exact same as member @Claudio66 mentioned, but the latest extension version number on your system is: 4.1.62? :unsure:

Update:

If one actually check on FFs extension page, the latest version number is 4.1.62 and I have no idea why this is not updated in my FF when I even tested manually to update the extensions.
2022-10-19_06-46-41.jpg
Gonna do another test with this in my VM and see if I can reproduce the issue...

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Found the issue and a solution. It's very easy by accident click wrong and normally it shouldn't matter, but it does big time.

1. Remove the extension from FF.
2. Either browse manually to the extension page or use the link inside F-Secures UI.
3. Start the installation, but do NOT miss out doing the parts in below screenshots, as otherwise the extension will not work as intended.

2022-10-19_22-20-59.jpg

2022-10-19_22-22-02.jpg

After clicked " Accept " I had zero problem with any search in FF as the reputation marks worked and the banking protection kicked in as it should. I fully understand that one might think, why does the tick for " Allow this extension to run in Private Windows " have to be marked. If one don't, the specific Privacy note F-Secure was forced very hard to add, will never show itself.

Now I can fix this also with my host and be sure I actually have the latest extension 4.1.62.

Thanks @LittleDude for reporting this. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.