Advice Request Firefox F-Secure extension not working.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

LittleDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2014
Found the issue and a solution. It's very easy by accident click wrong and normally it shouldn't matter, but it does big time.

1. Remove the extension from FF.
2. Either browse manually to the extension page or use the link inside F-Secures UI.
3. Start the installation, but do NOT miss out doing the parts in below screenshots, as otherwise the extension will not work as intended.

View attachment 270147

View attachment 270148

After clicked " Accept " I had zero problem with any search in FF as the reputation marks worked and the banking protection kicked in as it should. I fully understand that one might think, why does the tick for " Allow this extension to run in Private Windows " have to be marked. If one don't, the specific Privacy note F-Secure was forced very hard to add, will never show itself.

Now I can fix this also with my host and be sure I actually have the latest extension 4.1.62.

Thanks @LittleDude for reporting this. (y)
I believe I did all that but I‘ll have another try when I’m home tonight. I have reinstalled the extension numerous times so far…only have an issue with FF v106.
So far I appear to be the only one in this thread using Internet Security rather than SAFE.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I ran a portable version of FF v106 but sadly exactly the same issue.
Portable browsers I'm not sure is fully supported so not an option I personal would consider or recommend, but since you still have the problem your not left with too many options.

Try with another main version ( SAFE ) instead of the Internet Security, sure it's an option but I would more suspect you need to actually test again in FF with a default not altered profile as from my own extensive tests yesterday on 2 Windows 10 systems was able to get this working, but not before find out there's parts in the installation process and also a official link they share that needs to be fixed and updated. That I will report and help F-Secure with.

In your case I strongly recommend you should contact the support again, but use the phone or the chat as email contact is not the fastest and it's a risk your ticket is closed. Be sure to have the previous support ticket number available and request it re-opened if needed and insist on share another crucial file that's called FSDIAG, instructions how to create it is found here:

Why the FSDIAG file? Simply to help the support get a fair chance hopefully being able to trace the actual issue.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Yes, I agree, and I should have said something like a 'similar situation' instead of a 're-occurance'; meaning that it is not an exact repeat of the earlier issues I highlighted.

I'm going slightly off topic, but it is still about Firefox extensions and may be a cause for this issue.

I think there has been a recent Firefox extension tweak that has messed around with various other extensions, because I've noticed that a couple of mine have been 'misbehaving'. BitWarden requires me to enter both my username and password when I start using it, previously I had it so as I only needed to enter the password but now it does not always remember the username if I start Firefox again. Clicking on NoScript in the toolbar causes the pop-up to 'hang' as a white box with no text or permission options visible in it sometimes. It could be something else that is causing this, extensions not playing along well with each other. I haven't been able to re-create either example just now, they've both happenned ocasionally since the middle of last week, so this pre-dates the latest Firefox update. I've tried disabling certain extensions to see if that allows the other ones to function like they usually have, but I haven't had the time to delve deep into this possibility, and it is often overcome by simply restarting Firefox.

This also happens in LibreWolf, not unsurprisingly.

So I'm wondering if the OP and anyone else who has had this issue with the F-Secure extension has noticed any other extensions 'misbehaving'?
Updating on my other extensions conflict posibillity. There was a BitWarden update and I've not had any of the issues I mentioned in this previous post, while using the browser profiles I use the most in both FF and LW. I can't say that this was the cure for the issues mentioned for sure, coincidence maybe. Hope the OP's issue gets sorted asap.

LittleDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2014
Well I reinstalled F-Secure Internet Security, tried SAFE and did a clean install of Firefox. The extension works on Edge but still not latest version of Firefox.
Not sure what else to do. How much protection do I lose without the extension using F-Secure if I use Trafficlight? Or am I better off sticking with FF 105.3? I can do my banking on Edge.

Reactions: franz and show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@show-Zi , what version of the extension do have you installed?
I was using 4.1.43 on 105.0.1 and 106beta is using 4.1.62 which I learned about in this thread.

I was trying different things today and the add-ons I was using on 106beta started working. I disabled all add-ons and restarted ff just to be sure, and first I was able to enable the F-Secure add-on to make sure the protection was enabled.
I then enabled the add-ons I had been using one by one and the protection was never disabled. I thought it might be a compatibility issue with other add-ons, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
@LittleDude
I have no concrete proof;), but it is worth a try. What happens if I disable all add-ons and only activate the F-Secure add-on?

Incidentally, there has been no change in the fact that portable Firefoxes are not recognized in the fs protection settings screen. When I click on the add-on link, it still says "Firefox not installed".

• Thanks
Reactions: upnorth and franz

LittleDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2014
I tried a clean install of Firefox with only the F-Secure extension installed but no difference.
I have sent the diagnostics report to F-Secure support so hopefully they may come up with a fix.

Reactions: upnorth and franz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.