Advice Request Firefox third-party cookies

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I've been using Edge & Chrome more recently, but also running FF 107.0.1 on win10 21H2. FF security is set to Strict following suggested settings link provided by @oldschool the other day. I then went to GRC (Gibson Research) cookie forensics, and it reports that FF is not blocking third-party cookies, even in Strict mode. Is this correct finding? Both Edge & Chrome passed this "test."

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
If you want a better "test result", FF users have to tweak on Browser Privacy => Enhanced Tracking Protection => Custom: Block all third-party cookies

FF.pngtest.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you want a better "test result", FF users have to tweak on Browser Privacy => Enhanced Tracking Protection => Custom: Block all third-party cookies

View attachment 271143View attachment 271144
yeah, I did try that last night but when you select Custom that disables Strict, and I was not sure exactly what to select or unselect in Custom to be as strict as Strict (if I'm making any sense...)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
when you select Custom that disables Strict, and I was not sure exactly what to select or unselect in Custom to be as strict as Strict (if I'm making any sense...)
Custom provides the same protection as Strict, what Mozilla calls Enhanced Tracking Protection, unless you de-select individual options. In earlier FF versions, ETP was only enabled in Strict/Custom, but was later enforced in all modes. The documentation doesn't describe how Strict or Custom differ from Standard, other than "stronger protection but may cause some sites or content to break".
This explains in more detail:

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
LW only has Enhanced Tracking Protection and no others so it failed the 3rd-party cookie tests

I set uBO to block 3rd-party/3rd-party frames/3rd-party scripts and now it passed the 3rd-party cookie tests

For FF

I left it on Enhanced Tracking Protection and set uBO to block 3rd-party/3rd-party frames/3rd-party scripts and now it passed the 3rd-party cookie tests

Note:- Need to set blocking 3rd-party/3rd-party frames/3rd-party scripts in uBO to RED color

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Custom provides the same protection as Strict, what Mozilla calls Enhanced Tracking Protection, unless you de-select individual options. In earlier FF versions, ETP was only enabled in Strict/Custom, but was later enforced in all modes. The documentation doesn't describe how Strict or Custom differ from Standard, other than "stronger protection but may cause some sites or content to break".
This explains in more detail:
Thanks for the explanation. I'll play with FF later tonight.

Edit: my FF is now blocking 3d party cookies, thank y'all

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberTech and franz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.