New Update Firefox v97 will soon download files automatically instead of displaying a prompt

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
From Firefox 97 on, Firefox will download files immediately on activation of the download link. The browser displays the downloaded file in the download panel and users may interact with it from there. Options include opening the downloaded file or managing all downloads.

Firefox 96 and older versions of Firefox displays a download prompt by default. It provides users with information about the selected file, and options to either select an application to open the file or to save it directly.

firefox old downloading behavior
The second option downloads the file immediately, unless users have changed the default configuration of the browser.

Firefox's preferences list just one option for downloads. Users may switch from downloading all files to a single folder, e.g., downloads, to a download prompt that gives them the option to select a folder each time.
  1. Select Menu > Settings to open the preferences, or load about: preferences in the address bar directly.
  2. Scroll down on the General page to the Files and Applications section.
  3. Downloads are configured to save files to a specific directory by default. On Windows, that is the Downloads folder (which Windows users can change).
  4. Switch to "Always ask you where to save files" to get a prompt each time to select the download directory for the selected file.

firefox downloads settings

Firefox displays a save to prompt each time a download is started in the browser. You may use it to save files to different folders on the local system.
Closing Words

Mozilla's new automatic downloading system for Firefox makes downloads more comfortable to users. Firefox users who want more control over the downloading behavior or block automatic downloads, need to enable the "always ask you where to save files" option under Downloads in the Firefox settings to achieve that.

Firefox 97 Stable is scheduled for a release on February 8, 2022.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Well, as expected, Mozilla almost never moving a way for innovative technology, if that's most important point for users, then may Chrome or Edge suits better...
Personally, I don't care about that, I will continue using Firefox, although the fact that most new features aren't really useful even to me.
In general, the real problem is always the same, all browsers includes something like "annoyances" that's another fact even for Edge and Chrome, so users have to choose what browser is still acceptable as web browser ;)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

How to disable download flow changes in Firefox 97​

1. Visit about: config in the address bar
  2. Click “Accept the risk and continue”
  3. Type panel in the search bar, wait for the results to be displayed.
  4. Find highlighted browser.download.improvements_to_download_panel
  5. Toggle its vlaue to false.
This will do the trick and restore the old download experience you know in Firefox 96 and before. But do know, this is a short-term solution and Mozilla may remove the about: config pref after a couple of versions.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Well, as expected, Mozilla almost never moving a way for innovative technology, if that's most important point for users, then may Chrome or Edge suits better...
Personally, I don't care about that, I will continue using Firefox, although the fact that most new features aren't really useful even to me.
In general, the real problem is always the same, all browsers includes something like "annoyances" that's another fact even for Edge and Chrome, so users have to choose what browser is still acceptable as web browser ;)
Firefox is one of the less bloated ( fast to set up after install ) , smartblock is overpowered. Mobile version just need about:config

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.