Question Floorp Browser from Japan

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

wat0114

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Has anyone tried this Firefox-based browser developed in Japan? I just recently installed the available Flatpak in Linux openSUSE, and it's running fine so far. The Compact toolbar option is available, and I've also installed the uBlockO Addon.

Github Floorp project repository:

Projects in Development:

Floorp Browser - A Firefox-based browser that respects your privacy. Most of the feedback we receive from our users is immediately reflected in the site. A user-first browser.

Official Site:

They offer download versions for: Windows, macOS, Linux and a Portable version

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just tried. Nothing special.........................just another FF-based browser

1688526710587.png

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Does it look like the Librewolf I wanted? Built in a handy simple sidebar, has built-in user agent spoofing, pre-installed Proton UI Fix for pretty UI icons (I've always put it in manually for Firefox/Librewolf) ... That's at first look.

Portable AVs check:

But I'm always intimidated by browsers from unknown developers. How can I open the bank's website in it, or even sit on social media? Is it really clean? This is always a question for any such project.

wat0114

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
But I'm always intimidated by browsers from unknown developers. How can I open the bank's website in it, or even sit on social media? Is it really clean? This is always a question for any such project.

Mostly I feel the same as you about unknown developers, but I've never had issues with products from Japan. I know this is apples to oranges, but almost every automobile I've ever owned was Japanese built. Looks, fit & trim and reliability are first rate.

I'm liking the stability and responsiveness, as well as the overall look and feel of this browser so far. I will continue using it for the foreseeable future or until I find a reason to ditch it.

wat0114

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
How does it compare Mozilla’s Firefox? UI, Features, Installation size?

A little bigger installation size than Firefox, a slick looking UI, and all kinds of options for setting up the Tab bar and Tabs preferences. I've installed my userChrome.css file in the Profile directory to get my preferred customized look of the tabs. After a few days I'm still impressed with this browser. It's running stable, no buggy behaviour of note, and at least as responsive, if not more so, than Firefox.

Floorp01.pngFloorp02.pngFloorp03.png

Last edited:

wat0114

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
v11.0.0 | 2nd Major Release!!

Full Changelog:

wat0114

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
@wat0114 how do you like Floorp? How does the company do business and support development? 🤔I couldn't find any info on that.

I still use it and continue to like it for the reasons I've stated above. As for the developers, all I know is they are Japanese :) I found this link:

They have a Q&A for inquiring about the project. Did you try that one?

EDIT

hopefully you can find an effective Japanese->English language conversion :D

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Floorp created by
Floorp is a Firefox-based web browser created by the Floorp project Ablaze. The Floorp project Ablaze is in no way affiliated with Mozilla, the publisher of Firefox.

Floorp for Windows is also signed by Certum's code signing certificate, which is signed by the developer of the Floorp project.

Floorp Project and Ablaze
The Floorp project is one of the development projects within Ablaze and is not officially grouped, but the people who develop Floorp itself are fixed. Also, most non-Floorp products are operated by Floorp developers.

The GitHub repository separates the ORG for Ablaze from the ORG for the Floorp project, but this does not indicate that the Floorp project is independent of Ablaze.

Do any companies or organizations own Floorp itself?
Floorp itself is not owned by any entity or company. If I had to say, the Floorp source code is the work of each developer. It is also not a product developed internally by the school or university that the Floorp developer attends. In other words, it is run entirely on the developer's hobby.

Note: Floorp contains many used OSS. Not all source code belongs to the Floorp developer.

The Floorp project is completely related to Ablaze. Ablaze is developed internally. It has nothing to do with Floorp with any other organization.

Floorp's Loan Source and Operating Funds
Floorp and Ablaze are not owned by any company or entity. Therefore, we do not receive funds for loans. Instead, all operations are funded by donations from GitHub sponsors.

In addition, all the money received from the donation is disclosed in the year-end report by Ablaze.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Floorp is a cutting-edge web browser that combines the trusted foundation of Mozilla's Firefox with a unique Japanese perspective, offering users an exceptional online experience. This open-source browser prioritizes privacy, customization, and security. Floorp is transparent, with no user tracking or data sharing, and it's completely open source. With a strict no-tracking policy and full transparency, your personal information remains private. As an open-source project, Floorp not only shares its source code but also its build environment, inviting users to contribute and build their unique versions. The regular updates, based on Firefox ESR, ensure that you always have the latest features and security enhancements.

Get to the point with Floorp Lightning's minimalism

With a keen eye on user preferences, Floorp is gearing up to launch "Floorp Lightning," a streamlined and performance-focused browser, harkening back to the fundamentals of web browsing. This browser has undergone a meticulous transformation, shedding more than 80% of the features that characterized its predecessor. What remains are only the high-demand functionalities within the Floorp ecosystem.

The result is a sleek, lean, and swift web browser optimized for maximum efficiency. In the ever-accelerating digital world, "Floorp Lightning" is poised to offer users a refreshingly nimble and responsive browsing experience, set to debut in beta mode this November.

Floorp key features:
  • Strong Tracking Protection: Floorp offers robust tracking protection, safeguarding users from malicious tracking and fingerprinting on the web.
  • Flexible Layout: Customize Floorp's layout to your heart's content, including moving the tab bar, hiding the title bar, and more for a personalized browsing experience.
  • Switchable Design: Choose from five distinct designs for the Floorp interface, and even switch between OS-specific designs for a unique look
  • Regular Updates: Based on Firefox ESR, Floorp receives updates every four weeks, ensuring up-to-date security even before Firefox's releases.
  • No User Tracking: Floorp prioritizes user privacy by abstaining from collecting personal information, tracking users, or selling user data, with no affiliations with advertising companies.
  • Completely Open Source: The full source code for Floorp is open to the public, allowing transparency and enabling anyone to explore and build their own version.
  • Dual Sidebar: Floorp features a versatile built-in sidebar for webpanels and browsing tools, making it perfect for multitasking and quick access to bookmarks, history, and websites.
  • Flexible Toolbar & Tab Bar: Customize your browser with Tree Style Tabs, vertical tabs, and bookmark bar modifications, catering to both beginners and experts in customization.
  • User-Centric Web Experience: Floorp prioritizes user privacy and collaboratively blocks harmful trackers.

Changelog

Homepage

Download link

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Floorp Browser v11.5.1 been released some days ago on GitHub, check there for improvements and changes:

wat0114

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
How do you feel with it? Do you trust it?
It's the only firefox-based browser with double sidebars (left and right)

If you're asking me, I like it. It's similar, of course, to Firefox, except that it has more bells and whistles, and its responsiveness seems a bit faster than Firefox. Do I trust it? Yeah sure, as I haven't noticed any kind of unusual behavior with it, and nor have I seen any reports online to suggest that it can't be trusted. Actually I'm planning to build an Apparmor profile for it in the coming days, as now I'm using the non Flatpak version running on MX-23 Linux. I also don't use sidebars, but I do use a userChrome.css file in the Default profile, just as I do in Firefox.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.