Battle For Keylogging protection what would you choose?

O

Omnipotent

I personally don't see the need for anti-keyloggers. It's for the paranoid, best tip is to prevent it in the first place. Malware creators know that most people use popular antivirus/anti-keyloggers so it's their job to create sophisticated malware to bypass it. It's like everybody using the same door lock, they only need to learn how to pick one lock. Webroot and a good firewall is sufficient imo. You can also use a password manager like LastPass since keyloggers can't intercept what isn't being typed, LastPass automatically fills your passwords in for your favourite websites.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I want to type Zemana with every part of my being, but that part of the software is not functioning properly at this point in the "Beta"
so I can't, I am not knocking it, just being honest.
I have found HMPA to be a suitable solution in my case. 25bucks a year is cheap for me.
But I see you want strictly a Key logger that does not interfere with other apps and HMPA is not just a keylogger, it is also for: Safe Browsing,
Exploit Mitigation, Risk Reduction, and scanning, so it will "Interfere with other software" in order to keep your system safe.
I am not familiar with good products that have the rep HMPA does that are only Anti-KeyLoggers that work efficiently on Windows 10 at least on x64 bit systems.
Maybe someone will provide us an eyeopener here.
Nice thread Tempnexus :)

O

Omnipotent

I want to type Zemana with every part of my being, but that part of the software is not functioning properly at this point in the "Beta"
so I can't, I am not knocking it, just being honest.
I have found HMPA to be a suitable solution in my case. 25bucks a year is cheap for me.
But I see you want strictly a Key logger that does not interfere with other apps and HMPA is not just a keylogger, it is also for: Safe Browsing,
Exploit Mitigation, Risk Reduction, and scanning, so it will "Interfere with other software" in order to keep your system safe.
I am not familiar with good products that have the rep HMPA does that are only Anti-KeyLoggers that work efficiently on Windows 10 at least on x64 bit systems.
Maybe someone will provide us an eyeopener here.
Nice thread Tempnexus :)
Instead of an anti-keylogger he can install a secure banking browser like Avast SafeZone that protects from keyloggers as well.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
It's bundled with Avast! Free, not sure if you can get it as a standalone product. Just like anything in life, there will always be alternatives.
Hey, no worries buddy I asked because he states up there the ones he wants to compare : Webroot Secure or Zemana Anti Keylog or Spyshelter or HitmanPro Alert :
If Avast made a secure browser as a standalone I would give it a go in a heartbeat ;)

H

hjlbx

No one needs an anti-keylogger. What is needed is signature-less physical system protection that prevents the keylogger from being installed and persisting on system in the first place.

Few people understand that anti-keyloggers only protect the user data once a keylogger has already been installed on the system (in the presence of a keylogger = an infected system) - this is the premise of Webroot Identity Shield, KeyScrambler, Zemana Anti-Logger, SpyShelter products, HitmanPro.Alert, COMODO sandbox\Virtual Desktop, BitDefender Safe Pay, Kaspersky Safe Money, ESET Banking Protection, etc, etc, etc.

Anti-loggers are notoriously ineffective against certain loggers - like webpage embedded javascript loggers or phishing webpages (a specific type of "logger" - but it is really a credential\info stealer).

So what is the solution ?

If your system protection prevents a keylogger from installing on the system in the first place and doesn't allow it to persist, then anti-logger is not needed.

Most important (really only need one):
  • Software Restriction Policy software: AppGuard, AppLocker, Group Policy, Bouncer (Excubits), Simple Software Restriction Policy (iwrconsultancy)
  • Anti-executable software: NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro, Voodoo Shield, WinAntiRansom, Faronics Anti-Executable, SecureAPlus
  • HIPS software: ReHIPS, COMODO, ESET, SpyShelter
Additional layers (really just need one):
  • Light Virtualization: Virtual Machine, Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, ToolWiz Time Freeze, Shade Sandbox, COMODO (NOTE: Sandboxie & COMODO are both a virtualization and a SRP soft)
  • Snapshot software: Rollback Rx Professional\Home, Drive Vaccine Rx, Reboot Restore Rx
  • Rapid Image Restore software: Macrium Reflect (w\Rapid Delta Restore), AX64 Time Machine\FlashBack
Final layer:
  • Default-Deny firewall = a just-in-case-last-line-of-defense = TinyWall
  • This can also be achieved in Sandboxie and COMODO
This is not difficult... read @Umbra's guides.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
If you are using Avast, they have a banking mode as well that has anti-keylogger components and a pretty secure browser. However it is limited to the banking mode and not system wide, also you are forced to use their pre-configured browser in the sandbox which limits usability.

Evandro

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 20, 2014
[URL='https://www.spyshelter.com/'] [URL='https://www.spyshelter.com/'] [URL='https://www.spyshelter.com/'] [/URL][/URL][/URL]
upload_2016-8-14_1-38-8.png

Reactions: conceptualclarity
H

hjlbx

@Umbra & @hjlbx
So with my config for instance with VoodooShield and WAR, it's useless to have HMPA installed ?

I would choose one...

ReHIPS with VS and WAR is duplication.

HMP.A is a multi-faceted security soft; it is primarily an anti-exploit; the other protections are secondary - but I would suspect the developers might think otherwise.

ReHIPS + HMP.A would be my choice.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I would choose one...

ReHIPS with VS and WAR is duplication.

HMP.A is a multi-faceted security soft; it is primarily an anti-exploit; the other protections are secondary - but I would suspect the developers might think otherwise.

ReHIPS + HMP.A would be my choice.
I did not have ReHIPS installed while running HMPA look on my config page. I know the redundancy.
I am running Voodoo, WAR as my primary & now Zemana 2.21 as my "On Demand"

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.