Four in Five Users Feel Bad About Blocking Ads

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
A recent survey of people that employ an ad blocker reveals that 77 percent of all users that block ads feel bad about doing so.

The study's result shows that most users understand the core issues at the heart of the ad-blocking debate and don't block ads just for the fun of it.

Gladly, the company behind this survey, says it asked 243 random users of its Goodblock ad blocker about the reasons why they use an ad blocker and how they feel about blocking ads.

Bad ad designs drive users towards using an ad blocker
More than half (51 percent) of users said they started using an ad blocker because of particular sites that had annoying ads. This was by far the most encountered answer, with the second option being "to speed up my web browsing," with 21 percent of all users.

Only 16 percent of users said they started using an ad blocker because they hated all forms of ads.

This comes to show that users feel annoyed by sites and ads that hinder their web browsing experience, and not by the ads themselves.

In fact, 77 percent of all users that employed an ad blocker said they feel some guilt for using the ad blocker, being well aware that sites use the ads to sustain themselves. 77 percent of users that employed an ad blocker also acknowledged they whitelisted at least one site, allowing it to display ads.

Some of the most whitelisted sites
The vast majority (58.5 percent) that did so, did it to "support the website by viewing ads," showing again that users generally don't want to hurt publishers.

Of course, there were sites that forced users to disable their ads, sites such as Forbes, Wired, CBS, or Hulu. Around 41 percent of all users that whitelisted sites said they had to do it because, otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to view the desired content.

Forcing users to disable their ad blocker apparently works
In this latter case, 56.8 percent of users said they didn't mind feeling "forced" to disable their adblocker because they knew the site needed the revenue to survive. Only 31.3 percent of users felt angry, but they disabled it anyway.

But this method of blackmailing users to disable their ad blocker doesn't always work, with 67.7 percent of users still taking a moment to review if they should heed the publisher's request based on how much they like the site.

Only 15.8 percent of users said they "always" disable their ad blocker when they see these requests, 11.5 percent said they refused to visit the site completely, while 2.4 percent said they opted to visit the site via another browser that doesn't use an ad blocker.

"This report shows that ad blocking is a much more nuanced phenomenon than many have assumed," Gladly's Giovanni Berber notes. "The majority of ad blocking users are not downloading ad blockers to remove online advertising completely, but rather to fix user-experience problems on a subset of websites with particularly annoying ads."

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I do feel bad about blocking ads, because I know that for some websites, it's the only way of income they have to maintain the website and services they offer. However, as long as malvertising will be a thing, and instrusive ads will stay a plague, I won't disable my AdBlocker and I'll keep on blocking them.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
I guess I'm the 20%. Hard to believe this statistic, but at the same time not hard to believe. Harvard conducted a research last month that showed the recent influx of new gym-goers is due to body guilt rather than desire to stay healthy. Guilt is trending.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I still block all ads because I feel intrusive ads should be a thing of the past. Adblocking will help the media to transition to sponsored content like sponsored posts or something like that which are less intrusive. Especially if the ads are placed in spots where they are likely to be accidentally clicked or cover the entire page and have a tiny cross to exit the ad at the top where let's face it I'll probably miss when I'm in a rush.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I personally do not feel bad about blocking ads...
My main gripe with ads is that they generally try to exploit/hijack the thought processes and emotional weaknesses of their target demographic,which I consider to be unethical..
The "This product will make you happier" or "This product will improve your life" tactics are extremely annoying IMO.
I am more in favour of a legitimate sponsorship of a product by a third-party, or a collaboration between two or more Companies who's products may complement each other..
Most Adverts IMO are the Cyber equivalent of Door-to-Door Salespeople or Cold-Callers,and while I still have an option to Ignore these unwelcome distractions then I will continue to do so.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I personally do not feel bad about blocking ads...
My main gripe with ads is that they generally try to exploit/hijack the thought processes and emotional weaknesses of their target demographic,which I consider to be unethical..
The "This product will make you happier" or "This product will improve your life" tactics are extremely annoying IMO.

Welcome to the wonderful world of advertising! A billion dollars industry!

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I wish i didn't have to block ads but i do. Some sites get an exception based on stupid bias rules i make in my mind.
If all ads were text only i would allow everything but the way they are now it's ridiculous.

Y

yigido

Would you prefer sites to change their business model to Subscribe to Access?
A. $60 for 1 year access
B. $6 for 1 month access
I am blocking all ads too.. I will never pay to a website to see its contents.
There very good websites which give the services for free of charge.
Why MT is free then? We are all volunteers here who are creating free articles for everyone.
Not blocking ads will give nothing to those websites. Ads are lying on the page, I never click on them. So they cannot gain from ads again.

The hugnry content creators and advertisiment componies made the websites full of ads.. People got sick and now blocking "all" ads.. Many of the sites are hiding ads under "close (x)" buttons. I click it to close ..puff ads are appearing.. I was very angry about them
Now, content creators and advertisers realized their fault and now they are trying these kind of tactics (acceptable ads)

If you guys feeling bad about blocking "all" advertisement, I again recommend you to use Privacy Badger. They have very good DNT policy.
Privacy Badger just blocks spying ads and invisible trackers. https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I block ads
I voted yes as I honestly do feel bad about blocking them especially sites that rely on the revenue from them.
I would be lying if I said 'No".
The problem with the ads is they are exploited and infringe upon the user.
I guess it is no different then walking away,changing the Chanel or fast forwarding a TV show when a commercial comes on.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I will NEVER feel guilt about blocking those infernal autoplaying videos that lurk on many respectable websites. But I feel guilt about blocking ads for the most part. I do it because I'm on an old computer that needs all the help it can get. I sympathize with free website owners' need for revenue. It takes time to run a free website and, as they say, time is money. It's not free to run a free website.

I actually like some ads. I sometimes find some things I like through them. My favorite vitamin companies follow me around. I don't mind it. I've actually availed myself of a good sale through such an ad that appeared on an unrelated website. I don't care about businesses knowing about my tastes--unless they're in close league with the government, like Google.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The real problem here is not with any individual website, but instead on the Ad Network from where these ads come. In the past year Forbes, LA Times, Yahoo, MSN, etc were all guilty for serving up ads with a little something extra- this being primarily the angler exploit kit (with various malware attached). The problem is that the compromised website is trusting that the Ad Network sufficiently vets the ads that they serve up, which frequently has not been the case.

Personally I feel that a website requiring you to shut off an adblocker is like a Torrent site requiring one to shut off all security applications prior to downloading something. So until and unless some central authority will verify that all ads are free of malware it is the height of insanity to not use an adblocker.

But I'm sure there are other theories...

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
The real problem here is not with any individual website, but instead on the Ad Network from where these ads come. In the past year Forbes, LA Times, Yahoo, MSN, etc were all guilty for serving up ads with a little something extra- this being primarily the angler exploit kit (with various malware attached). The problem is that the compromised website is trusting that the Ad Network sufficiently vets the ads that they serve up, which frequently has not been the case.

Personally I feel that a website requiring you to shut off an adblocker is like a Torrent site requiring one to shut off all security applications prior to downloading something. So until and unless some central authority will verify that all ads are free of malware it is the height of insanity to not use an adblocker.

If there's a good definitive article or white paper on malvertising I would like to read it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.