Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I usually visit pages with many annoying ads + chrome has a very very weak popup blocker + animated ads drain my laptop battery => very happy to block ads and popups, no regret
also beside blocking ads, adblockers can block malware/phising domains and websites

ads on android is even worse,they take a lot of space on the screen. rooted phones should have no problem but Changing DNS in android is a pain
with ios we can change DNS easily so ads are not really a big deal except too many ads on youtube

Reactions: ElectricSheep

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Would you prefer sites to change their business model to Subscribe to Access?
A. $60 for 1 year access
B. $6 for 1 month access

Right lol.
So advertisement is sustaining a site right? or thats generally the case right? How about that cookie they set which grabs all your profile history, what about the tracing and tracking within their programs? That aside if i go to whateverwebsite.com and they advertise whatever program thats ok, but when a company of cars features housing advertisements and other not relevant ##### then this is a problem.
None is against ads we all need to make money right? Yet its the way how they use their practices.
On top of that the amount of data gathered specially by ad carousels is a far bigger amount then 90% of the products you can buy on the net.
You do know that the average 12 months worth of user profile is around 5k to 15k for example 1 year facebook (userprofile) is worth around 8000 dollar as stated by the EU court. My point here is that the amount of ads blocks in the media are just ridiculous and outright annoying and obnoxious and since you already pay media related fees in your Internet subscription one could say why not make it all free? since the ads nowadays generate more cash based upon your data and that of millions of unknowing others.
I am not talking about the small personal sites that show one or 2 well placed nice looking ads. I am talking about these big big portals who screw up even the fastest Internet user by nearly shove it down your hole type of tactics.
You want a website to sell a product then you pay for it not me since i did not ask you to be online so why the hell should i pay?
Buying your product will pay for it just saying.

W

Wave

I don't feel bad about blocking advertisements because the internet wasn't made in mind for people to ruin our browsing experience and make money off it. All of us should be entitled for an advertisement-free browsing experience to do what we need to do, we don't want to be distracted by numerous ads which slow down the webpages or even pop-ups which are classed under advertisements (since the pop-ups will be for the purpose of advertising something).

Without that being said, you are overall better protected whilst blocking advertisements since you mitigate malvertising attacks from affecting you, since chances are they'll be blocked by the ad-blocker as opposed to getting past the ad-blocker.

For all you know an attacker may be able to successfully compromise a big and trusted company like Google and have advertisements hijacked with malicious ones - in such a scenario you would be a victim of this attack without an ad-blocker, however if you had been using one you still would have had a chance of not being an affected victim and may have still stayed safe if the ad-blocker was capable of blocking the advertisements which were hijacked in the first place.

In my opinion you should focus on what works for you and what keeps you safe - people asking you to disable your ad-blocker is like them asking for you to disable your Anti-Virus (which hopefully you wouldn't do!).

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
If site had a resonable amount of non-intrusive ads there would be no need for ad-blockers. Until that day i´ll feed the warm and fuzzy feeling inside that i get from surfing w/o having to click down popups etc, etc....

Reactions: Wave
W

Wave

I hate ads in general, I know people make a living off of it, but most of the ads i get are spam/scam ads, or are just str8 up annoying. I rather stay with my ublock
The thing is, people shouldn't be making a living off ruining our browsing experience (advertisements/pop-ups distract us from what we are trying to do & they pose a security risk due to malvertising attacks (e.g. if their advertisements got hijacked by an attacker)) IMO.

If they need money they can easily go down to the job centre and get a normal job, and if they want to make profit from computing related stuff (e.g. websites/software) then they can setup a service which people want/enjoy and make money through it this way. Ruining our browsing experience shouldn't be the gateway to someone becoming rich.

(and if they want to make a service free then they should leave it at that and make profit through their paid options, and if they have no paid options... Try the general tactics with asking for donations from people who appreciate the service).

I think there should be laws for the maximum limit of third-party advertisements which can be presented on a single web page at a time, and laws on the content which can be placed on these advertisements...

Sorry for the click-bait spoiler/if this is slightly off the general topic since this isn't really an "idea", but what if someone has Epilepsy and there is an advertisement on a web-page which is flashing colours around? It could trigger a seizure. This is unrelated to things such as malvertising attacks and general annoyance, but still... So one law for advertisements if it happened is to prevent flashing on advertisements with various colours or the such.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Right lol.
So advertisement is sustaining a site right? or thats generally the case right? How about that cookie they set which grabs all your profile history, what about the tracing and tracking within their programs? That aside if i go to whateverwebsite.com and they advertise whatever program thats ok, but when a company of cars features housing advertisements and other not relevant ##### then this is a problem.
None is against ads we all need to make money right? Yet its the way how they use their practices.
On top of that the amount of data gathered specially by ad carousels is a far bigger amount then 90% of the products you can buy on the net.
You do know that the average 12 months worth of user profile is around 5k to 15k for example 1 year facebook (userprofile) is worth around 8000 dollar as stated by the EU court. My point here is that the amount of ads blocks in the media are just ridiculous and outright annoying and obnoxious and since you already pay media related fees in your Internet subscription one could say why not make it all free? since the ads nowadays generate more cash based upon your data and that of millions of unknowing others.
I am not talking about the small personal sites that show one or 2 well placed nice looking ads. I am talking about these big big portals who screw up even the fastest Internet user by nearly shove it down your hole type of tactics.
You want a website to sell a product then you pay for it not me since i did not ask you to be online so why the hell should i pay?
Buying your product will pay for it just saying.

Well said. I think there used to be a site where you typed your username or name and it told you how much your Facebook data is worth at that time. Ever use NoScript? Facebook.net is on so many sites, especially with those "Share" buttons. Same with Google Analytics. I agree, ISP fees are higher. Individual websites with 2-3 non-intrusive ads I have no problem with. The ones that have popups, and the

"Wait are you sure you want to leave now? Use the Promo code *** to get 20% off!!!"
+1 for a live chat pop-up asking them if they can help. Adblock is useful. :)

Reactions: frogboy

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
LOL@sheep.

I been using ad blockers for like 10 years I think, and I feel good about doing it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.