_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I block ad's and dont feel regret, If sites took the time and effort to employ non intrusive ad's
I would most likely not be so adamant about blocking them.
So many sites display aggressive ad's, not caring the effect it has on their visitors, so why
should I feel bad about protecting myself and my browsing experience ?

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I used to use Adblocking software and felt guilty using it. Even after not using it I feel bad for making some of the honest places I was blocking wouldn't get money from their hard work. I don't wish to sound arrogant but if you use a little common sense you wouldn't have to deal with "malvertising" after all the majority is from crack sites..

H

hjlbx

I block ads because it slow the page rendering and those idiots popups are freaky annoying .

I don't feel any remorse nor guilt, i even enjoy blocking them :D

Exactly...

I would block all TV commercials too - if I could.

Commercials and ads are a waste of my time. Plus, I am already paying for cable - so why do I need to see a single commercial ? If I am paying for cable, then it should be commercial\ad free. The cable company is making more than enough to cover their expenses from subscriber fees - so they have no absolute need of advertising revenue.

There's something wrong with the anyone that feels bad about blocking ads.

It's all a scam... all the way around.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Exactly...

Commercials and ads are a waste of my time. Plus, I am already paying for cable - so why do I need to see a single commercial ? If I am paying for cable, then it should be commercial\ad free. The cable company is making more than enough to cover their expenses from subscriber fees - so they have no absolute need of advertising revenue.

Well said! :)
OT: I wish there were more of a variety of smileys

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I don't feel guilty for blocking ads as a whole; I don't have a reason to. I unblock ads on sites that I frequently visit and that respect the user enough only to have a (good) few ads on the page that don't take away from the experience of using the site and looking at its content. If I whitelist a site just to see popups and other ads that are obvious scams, malware, etc. I continue blocking the ads and refuse to whitelist their site again.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I block ads because of the intrusiveness, and for the most part to prevent malvertising. Do I feel bad? I would rather donate to an individual site owner. For the giant media companies- No, I'll still be using an adblocker. In short: it's an additional layer of security for me at least. And it stops those autoplay videos.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I understand the sentiments of having advertisement in a website which is for revenue/income but....

Adblockers are present to avoid slowdowns, crashes and even pop-ups cause it generally affects the performance on browsing + malicious scripts can be hide anywhere so better be safe than sorry.

It's like there is a vaccination for a certain disease but you decline because you can manage by itself in such uncertain time.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Exactly...

I see what your getting at but the cable company isn't the one getting revenue from the ads its the station. Not all ads are annoying some I've important save the date reminders and such. I used to use adblocking on legit charity funding sites. This is mainly why I felt guilty. Whatever you do is you're choice and I have no right to discriminate against it.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Would you prefer sites to change their business model to Subscribe to Access?
A. $60 for 1 year access
B. $6 for 1 month access

Honestly if the content is worth the money I would pay for content. It's basically like going to the movies or paying for a spotify subscription. If you want to support the content providers I think you should.

Y

yigido

Do you still feel bad about blocking ads? Ohhh boy..
Please read how malwaretising works ;)
How Malvertising Works

Technique
How it Works

How it Escapes Detection

1. Click: Clicking the ad redirects users to an exploit kit’s landing page.
2. No-Click: Visiting a web page loads an ad with a Flash Player exploit; no user interaction required.
3. Pop-Under: Script attached to an ad automatically opens an exploit kit landing page in a pop-under window.

Being Vigilant: Protection Against Malvertising Attacks

Traditional security tools such as standalone anti-virus software cannot reliably stop malvertising attacks in time. Besides basic security hygiene, such as ensuring your browsers and software are kept up-to-date, what you need is a multi-layered security protection that proactively discovers, blocks and defends your enterprise network, systems and endpoints against today’s Internet-borne threats.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I should agree where advertisements that are meaningful can be fine, as long it is unobtrusive.

How unobtrusive? The problem where Ad networks as mentioned does the magical thing.

So better yet have up to date adblocker and even script protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.