Advice Request Free office suite. Which is better

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Out of curiosity and your comments I wanted to install WPS Office in for a while. But even the installer from the official site won't download to disk. I don't know why. Maybe it is an omen before not using this package ?
I click on the download button for Windows and nothing works.

This site is unreachable
Check for an error in the wdl1.pcfg.cache.wpscdn.com address.

If the spelling is correct, run Windows Network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Out of curiosity and your comments I wanted to install WPS Office in for a while. But even the installer from the official site won't download to disk. I don't know why. Maybe it is an omen before not using this package ?
Same here. Previously, I disliked the fact that WPS keeps 1/2 services running in the background always. Also, I had trouble disabling it from the context menu. Wanted to check it out again today, but won't let me download.

Virtuoso

Level 2
Feb 21, 2022

This site is unreachable
Check for an error in the wdl1.pcfg.cache.wpscdn.com address.

If the spelling is correct, run Windows Network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Why not try ONLYOFFICE, I am using it and the MS Office compatibility is very good, Link:

Reactions: M4RT1NE2

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I recommend LibreOffice (many organizations and governments use it) if you're working solely with OpenDocument formats since conversion may break things specially when working with large documents and dynamic content, there are many other suites out there but I have found them to be much less reliable than LO aside from their fancy copycat UIs.

IMO nothing beats Microsoft Office (even the online version) in terms of compatibility with Microsoft Office documents :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Back3 and M4RT1NE2

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Switching to ONLYOFFICE Desktop.
Currently the application does not crash while in use (maybe it's a matter of updating the program).
But it correctly reads those files with which SoftMarker had a problem.

FreeOffice SoftMarker had problems with me displaying Excel files correctly

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I use OnlyOffice on and off, since my documentation work is minimal at best I could tolerate the clunky performance in comparison with the competition. Installed it for my parents as well, whom as well have a minimal documentation work. Hasn't failed us for the last 2+ years, however it does lack in performance for the occasional and quite large document in the spreadsheet editor (their Excel variant). If they could work on that, than they would get a lot more happy users. Especially so with their entire software package being on GitHub for those whom it matters.

Note*: I use the desktop suite, not the online variant.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Personally MS365 is the best, and the family plan is nice.
6 persons, each full office suite
Each 1TB One drive storage.
Parental Control for your kids.

60 euro for a year. For me nothing beats the official office.

• Applause

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I use OnlyOffice on and off, since my documentation work is minimal at best I could tolerate the clunky performance in comparison with the competition. Installed it for my parents as well, whom as well have a minimal documentation work. Hasn't failed us for the last 2+ years, however it does lack in performance for the occasional and quite large document in the spreadsheet editor (their Excel variant). If they could work on that, than they would get a lot more happy users. Especially so with their entire software package being on GitHub for those whom it matters.

Note*: I use the desktop suite, not the online variant

I don't have such complicated projects on my laptop and I don't intend to do it. For home use it is sufficient for medium advanced Excel projects.
Certainly it is better than SoftMarker - that much I can say today

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Personally MS365 is the best, and the family plan is nice.
6 persons, each full office suite
Each 1TB One drive storage.
Parental Control for your kids.

60 euro for a year. For me nothing beats the official office.

Somewhere in my mind I have the purchase of the program. But not right now. I have bigger expenses than computer programs

Reactions: L0ckJaw

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I've been using WPS office for years. I really like it and I was thinking of purchasing the software but free version serves me well.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.