Advice Request Free office suite. Which is better

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
WPS office here.

Just for word processing I've found Atlantis Word Processor faster and far superior to any other I've tried, and more accurate at formatting Word docx files. It's only a word processor though. No powerpoint or Excel.

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Hi

I am currently using LibreOfiice as an alternative to MS Office.
Which of the following packages is most compatible with MS Office?

• LibreOffice
  • Apache OpenOffice
  • WPS Office

Or maybe you are using something else.
Share the news with me
For compatibility with MS Office docs, hands-down the choice is WPS.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
The reality is that none is better than the others, each one has its pros and cons.
As every user has his/ her unique needs its better to try out a few and find for oneself which one is best suited.
Problem here is that mostly people are used to working with MS Office, so they want some thing similar to that, but after some time the user will surely get accustomed to the new product.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
The reality is that none is better than the others, each one has its pros and cons.
As every user has his/ her unique needs its better to try out a few and find for oneself which one is best suited.
Problem here is that mostly people are used to working with MS Office, so they want some thing similar to that, but after some time the user will surely get accustomed to the new product.

Very smartly commented.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Today I removed LibreOffice. I don't know why but it started stuttering - most notably in Calc (Excel).
Running functions from the right-click stutters. I do not know why. But it irritates me. It's like it thinks while doing basic operations.
Maybe it wouldn't bother someone but it started to annoy me.
I installed SoftMaker FreeOffice and I do not see such errors.
I hope that it will be well.
I feel sorry for LibreOffice because it promised to be nice.

Reactions: cryogent
F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Today I removed LibreOffice. I don't know why but it started stuttering - most notably in Calc (Excel).
Running functions from the right-click stutters. I do not know why. But it irritates me. It's like it thinks while doing basic operations.
Maybe it wouldn't bother someone but it started to annoy me.
I installed SoftMaker FreeOffice and I do not see such errors.
I hope that it will be well.
I feel sorry for LibreOffice because it promised to be nice.
Hello, if you care about opening various types of MS Office docs and keeping the majority of formatting, then WPS does the best job as far as not losing formatting or losing elements of the original Office doc. Next is Softmaker FreeOffice, but it is not nearly as good at WPS as far as MS Office doc compatibility. Libre and the others, they are compatible with only the most basic formatted MS Office docs. This is based upon years of experience with these various software. WPS really does go out of its way to make it as compatible with MS Office to increase their sales.

You always have MS Office online for free. It depends upon how much doc work you do.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Hello, if you care about opening various types of MS Office docs and keeping the majority of formatting, then WPS does the best job as far as not losing formatting or losing elements of the original Office doc. Next is Softmaker FreeOffice, but it is not nearly as good at WPS as far as MS Office doc compatibility. Libre and the others, they are compatible with only the most basic formatted MS Office docs. This is based upon years of experience with these various software. WPS really does go out of its way to make it as compatible with MS Office to increase their sales.

You always have MS Office online for free. It depends upon how much doc work you do.
WPS also has a nice looking GUI, along with near perfect compatibility. I've used it for a couple of years and it's never let me down. And I've yet to see any ads pop up.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
In my country, WPS Office has bad reviews and comments. Apart from the fact that it is a Chinese product. This program as an office suite sends a lot of queries on the firewall. It has a lot of different strange connections (in my country is marked as spying from KingSoft)
And there are ads and even the manufacturer writes on its official website that the free version contains ads, banners.
I will not use this software.
Generally I have nothing against Chinese software. Opera browser is also Chinese (before Chrome I used).
SoftMarker FreeOffice 2 day of testing works very well.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Did you get a key for Softmaker FreeOffice ?

After a few days, you should get a message:
To continue using the software after ...., You must unlock it with a free product key."
Click the button "Get your free product key now" and enter your email address.

Or
Open TextMaker, go to the menu, click on ? And you should see the message to get a key. (I use the ribbon interface)

Capture d’écran 2022-04-08 050052.jpg

Last edited:

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
If we are talking about paid maybe try ashampoo office. Afaik it's very similar to softwaremakers office but goes on sale quite regularly for under 30$ for 5 pc perpetual license.
Just check the shop for a sale regularly Ashampoo Software Deals
With office it always depends what your usage case is if you realy nead Microsofts or can just be happyly without it.

Reactions: M4RT1NE2

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Thanks for the answers. I am only interested in freeware.
So far FreeOffice is probably the best solution for me at the moment. I've been working on it a lot since yesterday and I like it
It will stay with me for longer. Unless SoftMaker comes up with something...

Reactions: Back3

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.